translate

Tuesday 28 August 2018

MAKES SENSE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Some countries joining us today are. Turkey, UK and US. Palestine, Norway, Indonesia, Spain, India, Canada and Australia.

So, for one of your subjects.

Scientists may have found the protein which helps the delicate hair cells of the cochlea, our spiral shaped inner ear, the part that sends signals to convert to our brain to make us hear. This is a 40-year study and there is huge hope that we will find an answer for hearing loss. Oh, I really hope so. Last night one of the ladies I was with has such poor hearing and bless her, she laughed in the right places but couldn’t properly join in with the conversation and I’m not too sure she heard much of the show we went to see either. Well, I could hear everything but saw nothing. It would have made a funny movie, but someone has already thought of that.

 

I hope one day there is a cure for those of your who can’t hear and as for those who can’t see or hear? Well I just pray for you all and hope that science can speed along at a safe pace.

 

As a person who can’t see I rely on my hearing so much and never take it for granted. And if they have found something so good for hearing loss, then hopefully there will be something for those who are blind too.

 

I know there are many gadgets that you can buy or obtain to make life easier for those who can’t hear, just as there is for those who can’t see, but, that is far from a replacement for real hearing or seeing.

 

I have said this before, the bottom of the traffic lights in the UK just under the button have a spinning tool that looks like a screw. When the lights beep, and flash, for those who are blind and deaf, the tool turns. So, if you can get to the post, and being blind I know that is hard, so if you can’t hear either, must be so very difficult. You will know when to cross the road. But that very thought makes me gasp almost as much as it does when people see us on as blind people walking around our area and town. I just admire those of you who are deaf and blind and still get out and about. Now I know people say to me. I just don’t know how you do it? I personally, wouldn’t say that to a person who is deaf and blind, but what I would ask is what do they experience when walking? When I am coming up to a tree or car or building, I hear it, I feel the breeze too and that is what those who can’t hear or see must do. Feel. But if I was to block my ears, I’m really not sure I would be brave enough to go further. Where as people say to me. How do you do that,

You are marvellous and so on. They also say. “I couldn’t do what you do.”” So, I perfectly understand those of you who are deaf and blind. Or at least hard of hearing and unable to see much. It’s a case we have to do it. Who else will?

Not everyone have families who can or do care. Those who do, are very lucky and I hope you all appreciate your loved ones.

 

I was talking with someone who lost for half a year their sense of smell. Again, I can only imagine that if I think about life without a nose. I think we must taste with our sense of smell too. How lucky you are if you have all of Yor senses.

 

 

No comments: