translate

Friday 3 August 2018

BLIND SCIENCE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Last night we went to the pub quiz. We didn’t let ourselves down, we still did as bad as we always do. In fact, we are getting worse. But the questions are simply ridiculous.

 

Waggatail was such a good girl. In fact, both of our dogs are so well behaved. They lay under the table and don’t move. Well, unless you can count the wagging one who’s body didn’t move, but her head was everywhere, and I can tell you if there were any crumbs before on the floor, they were not there by the time we left!

 

The bar maid, I’m sure that is not the correct term to use these days, so, may be its bar person? As of course now days we are heading towards no identity, I mean, I am happy to be a woman and I love my Husband being a man. And if I heard right, Hub was saying something to me the other day that made me furious. I didn’t look into it as I hope either he heard wrongly, or, it was just headline grabbing, but there are some ladies’ toilets in London now going to be known as transgender. So, what does this mean? A lady goes to the toilet and a man walks in but it’s OK, as he’s transgender? Oh, my, where will this end. Its funny as disabled toilets had to be fought for and there may be one dotted around. But for transgender? Oh, let’s build new ones and turn ladies’ toilets into anything goes.

 

Back to this lady who works at the pub. She is so nice I love to hear her as she tells customers off for swearing. And, you wouldn’t argue with her… she’s rough around the edges but so lovely, she has a heart of gold.

 

She genuinely cares for her punters. She is so soft to towards animals. She spoke to us for about twenty minutes. We have been going there for over a year and she has always spoken to us through our neighbours who we go to the pub with. Quite painful actually. I have always asked my neighbour why this is? His answer is, people are afraid to approach us because they are afraid they say something to offend us. Oh, my God. We are blind. OK, one day you could be. It happens you know. People can be born with perfect sight have it most of their life and one day, bang… I know of a young Mother who was on holiday with her husband and daughter. She was swimming in a pool. Suddenly she lost her vision. She was young and as far as she was concerned, healthy. But ended up totally blind and her sight never returned. More people get detached retinas. And then there are diabetics. There are so many reasons that you one day or your loved ones could end up blind. So, would you like it if we all stopped talking with you? How many times do I need to say, we are like you just our eyes don’t work, as your heart may not work perfectly, or you may have painful joints or you may not be able to hear well. Our brains are working perfectly well. Half of the people our neighbour was talking about last night who are quotes, afraid to talk to us, brains don’t adjust as well as ours does. Hub has more qualifications than anyone in our street and I have really good exam results too. We are not needing help for our mental ability. Why do people relate blindness with other issues?

 

Well after talking with this lady, for a long time, she turned to us and said. “do you know, it’s been so lovely to talk with you both. Thank you!””

Bless her. She genuinely was shocked that we were able to string some words together. So, one less person afraid of us. Hahaha.

 

My other neighbour and friend used to tell me about things that people in our street used to say about us. She used to get a little cross as bless her she has no issue with people who are blind, as she knows we are OK and you can’t catch anything from us. So, there are people out there who treat us just like they would like to be treat.

 

It’s Friday, the end of another working week for some. Not for others sadly. Some like my Son work weekends. Making weekends not the same any longer. I wish we could bring back the days when everyone was off work on a Sunday and we all gathered to have typical English Sunday dinner. Good old Yorkshire puddings. Oh, how I love them.

 

Most Fridays in the UK we ate fish & Chips for our main meal. And Sundays was a Sunday dinner. I know the title isn’t very original, whoever named them Sunday dinners didn’t have a good imagination. But, that is what they were, a dinner we all ate at the same time roughly and the same kind of food.

So, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, mash, meat for most and at least two vegetables. Or in my Mums case, seven vegetables… and not one or two Yorkshires each, but more like four and they were huge.

 

I so miss my Mums Sunday dinners. My Mum in laws too. I hope where ever those two ladies are, they are chatting and enjoying their dinners where ever they are now. I always say to Hub, I hope they are together. I truly miss them both. And then there was me and Hub, I don’t have parents or any old aunties/uncles, so I guess it’s me who’s next to visit the big diner in the sky… but I hope not for a very long time…

 

When we are children, we have our parents, then Grandparents and some have Great Grandparents. But when we are top of that old tree, it gets a little scary.

 

Some people are really lucky, they have their parents until they are quite old themselves, like seventies. But I was only 30 when I lost mine. Too young. Far too young.

Hub was in his forties when his Mum died. Still too young, but I really wished she was still around.

 

There are always people who ask how old should I be to have a child? Well if you are too old, then your children may not have grandparents for long, in my case, I was I think a good age to have our Son but my parents were forty and forty-seven years older than me. And if you have your children when you are in your early twenties and your parents are in their forties, isn’t that perfect? Or is it? Because you haven’t really had time to enjoy life. you will work for many more years and not have that quality time with your children. You haven’t had time to save so you won’t have the best things in life. material items. Holidays and a nice house. But you will have your kids and they will have their Grandparents. So, at what age is the best to have a baby?

 

 As long as you have a nice home whether it be large or small and you have savings, then that is the best age. Listen to your body too. Sometimes I hear of people in their very late thirties talking about having a child. I do wonder if they are doing that because they know their clock is ticking. So, quick quick. Just to say they have had a child. But they continue to work afterwards, it’s not as if they have saved their money they now have a lifestyle that is perfect for a child, if so, surely, they would not work afterwards and be home with their children? I know it’s what they call an old-fashioned opinion, but one I feel strongly about. I’m not saying always the Mum at home, but either parent for at least four out of five of the school days. As I said in a blog a couple of days ago, thank goodness for Grandparents these days. And for those who don’t have any, it’s child minding. And that is where we are going so wrong as the child will learn of your rules and then have to stick to the minders rules and before long, there will be no rules and kids will grow up with all kinds of  bad manners and attitudes.

 

A child needs to feel secure and not knowing where they are going from day to day I guess will be confusing for them. And when your children start to talk in a certain way accent for example, or using words you won’t or don’t like, then you have to ask yourself, who is the parent?

 

It’s written that the number of Mothers working in England has risen by 1 million over the past twenty years, but considering that the population in England over the past twenty years also has increased, that’s understandable.

 

I hope tomorrow we are out and about not sure where we are going yet, but I hope it involves a lovely walk. Though it will be a little messy as today it’s wet on and off though very hot. So, may dry by tomorrow.

 

It’s really hot though raining on and off. I have tried to tie my hair up. I can do it in a boring way but wanted to put it in a plat. Something I have always been able to do. Not now, is it because I don’t have the patience? I guess it’s something I could ask Shamrock to do for me, but why can’t I do it as I have always been able to do that kind of thing. Its funny people used to say to me, how on earth can you do that with your hair? I used to smile and think well, it’s not science…. Well, is it?

 

OK, have a lovely weekend. Talk soon.

 

 

 

 

No comments: