translate

Wednesday 22 August 2018

PUPPY TAILS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I’m back, just to give you an update on what happened yesterday with Hub and the Little Fella. Hub had a meeting in Manchester and afterwards had pre-arranged a meeting with LF’s puppy walker. When we got LF, Hub called the couple who PW’s for him and they kept in contact via email. But this was the first time they would actually meet!

 

To be honest, my heart was in my mouth. I so wanted it to go well. He has never had a puppy walker who has wanted to meet him or his dogs, in fact I will go as far as to say whenever he has called his puppy walkers in the past and LF is his fifth dog, they have not wanted to keep in touch. He was anxious and I had to wonder what would go through LF’s head. What goes through all of the dog’s minds when they meet up with people who they were with from six weeks until at least 12 months. Sometimes longer, much longer. Then they are removed from that home and moved on to a few places before coming to their home for at least nine years until they retire.

 

So, our LF is rather aloof. Would he remember the couple? Would he do what he sometimes does when people are trying to be friendly and turn around and show his behind?

 

In fact, would the couple even turn up?

 

Well Hub was in one of the rooms. He heard footsteps and the door opened. LF was calm. Hub stood up. At first LF made no movement shall I tell you at this point, LF’s social behaviour is first class. My Waggatail would have been standing at the door even just hearing footsteps.

 

The lady came in and said hello. LF stayed still. She got a new toy from her bag. LF was interested then as if to take a second glance, he looked and his calmness was all over. Oh, if I was there I think I would have cried at that point. He was so happy to see her and she him. It sounded like a perfect reunion.

 

The guy was waiting in the car as he had a bad cold and didn’t want to pass it onto anyone. So, Hub went to see him as he couldn’t not, he wanted to meet with him too. Hub said that LF was so very keen indeed to see the man. Jumping up and wagging his tail. LF that is, not the man. Haha.

 

All in all, it was a lovely reunion. They even gave Hub a shopping bag with a picture of LF when he was a puppy. The toy was a new one but a replica of what he loved as a pup. It’s a plastic bottle, we all know how much our dogs love those, but this has a lovely thick fluffy cover on it, we are not sure what it’s meant to be, some kind of space rocket may be? The cover I’m talking about, well, LF loved his puppy walkers still and what brought a lump to my throat was as Hub and LF was walking away from the car, LF turned around as if to say, are you not coming?

 

So, when LF got home, he was odd. He clung to me all night. Laying on my feet, following me like a shadow. Kept falling asleep but waking up and standing up to check I was still there.

 

He looked so sad when I put him to bed. So, what was going through his head? (Am I going back there, but I love my new family? Why did I have to leave them again? Where are they? How are they without me? When will I see them again? Why didn’t I go to their house?) the lady said to Hub next time, they would love it if he went to their house. Just they have a puppy and a new guide dog pup too. But she said she would love it when they are older for Hub to pop in to see them. Oh, how wonderful is that? I know my Husband was so touched by their kindness. Almost tearful when he got home. I guess it meant the world to him. He’s fifty this year and has had a guide dog since he was a student at university and this is the first time it’s worked out in such a lovely way.

 

He asked her about LF’s separation. Since well before Hub got LF, he has had problems with being left. The lady said it’s since he wasn’t well as a pup, he almost died, but moreover, since his pal left. The couple had two training guide dogs one was older so more advanced. They started their puppy life off together, were very close and after a few months quite a few, the older dog left for advanced training. LF wasn’t the same after that. Bless him. I know my Waggatail has changed a huge amount since she lost Hubs last dog and my lovely Black beauty. It was too much for her to lose two dogs in one year. We know how she feels…

 

So, my darling, felt the love yesterday and I am buzzing for him. She sounds such a lovely lady too and it was so nice to see her full of kindness/fondness, for LF.

  

We will keep our dogs when they retire, or I am sure this lovely family would have taken LF back.

 

No comments: