translate

Tuesday 31 May 2016

DIARY OF WINTER WINGS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


 Good day to you all Bloggets. It’s a rather odd day today for me. I had to be out of the house before quarter to nine so I came downstairs, put on my coat and shoes as had to let Wagga in the garden before we left and no way I was going to go out without a coat.

 

So, in winter Jack Frost visits us with his wintery coat of snow, ice and wild winds. Well, he left and moved on to another country but sadly his cousin is here Colin Cutter. Seriously just to step out there today was like being cut and having your wounds open to the elements. My teeth were chattering as I walked Wagga to the dog run.

 

Back in our house, I turned the heating on. As I closed the back door, it was like being cuddled by a giant lovable bear. Oh, I didn’t want to go out, but needs must. As I entered the living room, the sound of silence hit me. I though can’t see a thing, looked to the left of the window as if I could see, and in my mind as I looked, of course, no cage was there. Oh how I miss my little canary. He was Irish you know?

 

Now those of you who think I am mad, I shall confirm your feelings with those who know, I am mad. During the night, to which I didn’t sleep at all, I heard a bang like a bin lid. Where our poor canary Dean ended up being buried. Then, a higher pitched sound higher than our bird, but a bird for sure. He tweeted as if in panic and then nothing. It was about four in the morning. I’m sure it was just a cat pouncing on a poor bird, but who knows? Could it have been our Dean letting me know he was flying free now with the angels? I doubt it, but having said that my first guide dog Hannah, AKA Black Beauty, definitely came back, as did my first pet dog Kara she came back for weeks.

 

I’m so tempted to get another bird. My darling Hub wants me to. He said last night that the house has lost its soul. Sounds silly to most of you I know. But he was my white noise. As I have said before the radio gets on my nerves I’m not the kind of person that can have it on in the background as I listen to it with great care and concentration and if there is talking I don’t just listen to the words/interview, but I have to analyse the person’s mind set… Odd. That is me. If it is music, or singing I’m a huge critic of that too. But Dean, was just a sweet sound that I didn’t have to study.

 

Even when he wasn’t singing, he would walk around his cage like a gentle clock of time. Tick tick, his little feet would go. He was calming, that is what he was. There will never be another one, even if I replace the bird, he, was himself and a real character.

 

I had to call the big office to get some information sent and bless one of the members of staff who is a friend of mine too, she was so lovely as were my friends on my social network. He was a pet, no matter how small.

 

We have now lost three members of our loving pet family in twenty months. My first guide dog BB, Hubs wonderful guide dog LC and now Dean.

 

Moving onto a bigger beastie girl, not that she is big, but Wagga. As she guided me today, she was really good. Coming back was a challenge, but not disastrous. And in the buildings today she was brilliant. It was windy but not enough to be a blind person’s fog. I still could hear. It was bitter cold though.

 

On my return, I was exhausted. Put all my paperwork away and took off my coat. Put on the kettle and had a soothing cup of tea. Waggs is so quiet today, after her huge walk yesterday where June told me both dogs ran their little socks off but Waggs kept going under a tree and laying down until she caught her breath. Each time the gate opened onto the field, both our dogs ran to see who was coming on next and if he or she would be a nice friend to play with. Knowing waggatail, most likely to see what the dog or human was carrying, and if it was round and if they were going to throw it for her.

 

Going to start dinner now. Not sure what I will cook yet see what I feel like doing as I enter the kitchen. I feel like a home made broth its that cold. Also soup makes you feel better I feel.

 

Until later with love as always. X

No comments: