translate

Wednesday 1 May 2019

THE WINTER ROSE #PoetryByFionaCummings

It's another dark one Bloggets.

THE WINTER ROSE

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Passing petals

Stinging nettles

Bending with the harsh wind

Overflowing water

Daylight is shorter

Nights longer

Here I wonder

All around, the ground, is wet

No sleep for me tonight again, I bet

That seat is taken

There’s a wall ahead I guess

What a mess

If someone had told me

This was going to be

I wouldn’t have believed a word they said

I wish someone could get inside of my head

And talk to the voices who should be dead

Leave me alone

It’s not a phone

 I can’t put the receiver down

They say they are my friends

But they are taking a lend

Biting away at my mind

Their so unkind

Blocking out vision

Making me blind

Covering my ears

Hand over my mouth

From behind me they stand

Pulling at the fingers on my hand

I just want to sleep

And not have to speak

Or be heard

 I can’t do any of that

Show me the black cat

I will make a wish

Let me fill the dish

With freshly prepared milk

Take me from rags

Put me in silk

Please feed me

Give me a drink

But who can I trust?

From polished to dust

I had it all

I had to fall

There was no one to save me

I’m down on my knees

Begging, please

Just give me a chance

I had to hand in my keys

Throw away my life

Say goodbye to my wife

Agree to never see my kids

Clothes now threads

Cold to the bone

No address

No phone

Hoping with every breath

So many regrets

Where to turn

Fingers they burn

Teeth chatter

Shoes full of water

I’m a lamb to the slaughter

I’m a broken man

I do what I can

But it’s never enough

I have to live rough

There’s nowhere for me now to go

Bitter winter, heavy rain and snow

I see passers by

 Inside I cry

It would be easier to die

But for some reason I stay alive

Why?

My maker must have plans for me

I just wish I knew my destiny

 

© Fiona Cummings

There are homeless people out there who are genuine. I ache for those people.

 

 

No comments: