translate

Monday 20 May 2019

ANOTHER MONDAY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


It’s here again. Monday. The 20th day of May.

This weekend all rolled into one. Saturday and Sunday. I don’t feel rested for sure. Hub is sorting out selling his piano. And we have had a good sort out of clothes. Our dogs got hosed bless them as one of them rolled in fox poop so we have been brushing them at least twice a day and vacuuming the floors at least twice too.  When you wash your dogs, their fur falls from them for at least a day. But they are both like fluffy Teddy bears now.

 

I feel exhausted. Not sure what it is now days but weekends are really not relaxing. My body is telling me I need a break it’s been three years since we had a holiday apart from a couple of weekends away with our friends in the UK. Next year things are changing and our lives will be turned upside down for a while, but then I hope, will sort themselves out. If, our plans happen.

 

Hub just told me soon if one of his colleagues have not returned to work, he will be in charge of his teams they are from Sheffield to Newcastle. Four teams in total, but he is also going to have the London teams too. So, he is in for a few heavy weeks. But he can cope. He’s had much more responsibility in the past.

 

From today my Son is on a new scheme at work. He is happy about that as it will benefit him in the future as far as a promotion.

 

Last night we had cooking gate in our kitchen. Oh my, our Son went to the shop to buy food. Well, he was ages. The door bell rang. I thought it’s our boy and he can’t get in because we have left the key in? well I went to the door, the key wasn’t in, I panicked as why did he not use his key? Who was at the door? Had he been in a accident? Gosh my heart. Seriously. I opened to the delight of my Sons voice. Hi Mum. I asked why he didn’t use his key? He replied no hands.

 

He came through the door with handful of bags of food. Oh, my goodness. It looked like a weeks shopping. The bags were bulging he could hardly fit through the door.

 

I was amused, what was he going to cook? This was just before 4 pm.

 

An hour and a half later, I ventured into the kitchen. Steam climbing the walls and delicious fragrances coming from every part of our kitchen. I thought he had finished and I asked him what he had cooked and was it OK? He then said, oh, no Mum, this is just preparation. I have part cooked things and the rest is just there. Well then, he started to show me our work tops. Oh. Heck. I think he used every single dish I had in my cupboards including my much-loved Nana’s soup dishes that must be 60 years old.

 

It was as if he was about to do a TV cookery show. You know when the chefs stand before us making out like everything is so easy as all you do is reach out and suddenly like magic, food is ready in dishes, prepared just to pop in the pot?

 

There were eleven dishes I counted before I said OK love, I have the idea… oh, bless him. Well, two hours later, I thought I must go in again. By this point, I was wondering if I needed to repaint our walls. But he had put the extractor fan on by now. perhaps I should have sat in there for a while, I may have lost weight! Don’t they say steam gets pounds off you?

 

 Well I came out of there; it was an hour later when he finished. He emptied the dishwasher. Filled it again. He gave me a taste of his cooking. Gosh, I must say, it was really interesting. It was as if a professional cook had done it. He is, a brilliant cook always has been but sadly has lost confidents of late but hopefully last night gave him a boost again. I can’t tell you what he cooked. Some kind of bean stew was one dish. Then there was a rice dish. There was ingredients in there I had never heard of and I thought I had eaten everything. Plantain was one of those ingredients. He fried it. It first resembled roast potatoes. But the after taste was the flavour of bananas. oh, and there were Japanese beans I loved those. Again, I can’t remember what they were called. He made some fancy salads too. He used a lot of lemongrass and chilli. Not keen on chillies, but I can’t even describe what flavours I was tasting. One odd thing he put into one of the dishes was dark chocolate. Some health benefit and he said it would help to create a creamy sauce. Gosh, I was so full with one dish. Really healthy food for sure. If you could bring your children up eating such food I would imagine they would never have a weight problem as it is so filling and all the rest of the night (What was left of it) I was so full and even today, it’s 2 in the afternoon and I haven’t had anything to eat. I have to say, he was amazing. Really brilliant. Not sure I could spend hours like that in the kitchen though. But he has 9 meals prepared. Hub emptied the dishwasher before bed. Refilled it again. Emptied it before work this morning, filled it again. I have just emptied it and filled it again. Washed the cooker work tops and the things around the cooker…. Like the toaster. Our Son vacuumed the floor twice last night too. I hope he enjoys his meals. I asked him how much it cost him? £30.  So, three days, ten pounds a day? I think he is eating three meals whilst he’s at work. Oh my, I’m just glad he goes to the gym as he sits most of the day at work now, and though the food is healthy, it’s still three meals plus what he will have at home. I’m really proud of him though how healthy he is. And he loves to cook. Unlike me. I hate cooking. I have done it too long. Since I was seventeen. If I lived on my own, I don’t think I would ever cook. Sadly, I don’t have the same desire as my son does to eat to live. I hope it long continues for him.

 

It’s a beautiful day today. I went out earlier with Waggatail just for a walk around the block. When I say block, it’s about 3000 steps. Nowhere near what I should be doing but I got out it was a nice day and I took in the beautiful Spring flowers. I will have to get our gardener back out as our garden must be in need for help. It hasn’t been done this year yet. Our grass gets cut thanks to our very kind neighbour. And we keep the roses under control when they need it but apart from watering our apple tree, we don’t do anything to our garden. Neither of us like gardening.

 

My lap top is very ill. I am on last legs with it. It’s worrying as I have so much work to do on here and if it goes, I’m stuffed as it’s not a case of going out and buying a lap top, I have to buy Jaws too. The software that makes each key I press talk. It reads words to me too if I need to search etc. well, emails anything people do on line or with their lap top, I can do apart from see photographs or pictures of texts. But anything written in word, I do with was. But it’s incredibly expensive. I think about £700. US $900. 12,827 south African rand.

So, when we buy a lap top, it has to be a good one not cheap as if we are putting such software on it, it has to last. This one has lasted me just over three years. It’s a work lap top though as I use it for at least seven hours per day. So, it’s a lot of money to find, but it’s needed as I do so much on here. I’m hanging in there hoping it won’t break on me for a few more weeks.

 

Well done to Chloe for doing a half marathon this weekend. Brilliant. 12 miles. Gosh. Wow.

And good on you Di, her Mum, for helping out on the last mile.

 

Deb I hope you have had a lovely holiday and Louise you too! If it’s your birthday today, a special happy birthday to you. Until later. X

 

No comments: