translate

Friday 24 May 2019

PLAN B BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Oh, my goodness. I’m back. My lap top is fixed. Seriously I have missed you all. I was at the real stage of polishing my bronzes and cleaning windows, that’s how bad it got. Hahaha. My very kind neighbour and friend took my lap top in for me to our city. I was first told it wouldn’t be ready until next Tuesday. But thankfully it got fixed right away. Now if I could see I would jump in my car or get on a bus and get to the shop, but, as I can’t, I had to do plan B.

 

Plan B was to think for 24 hours what to do. Hub suggested to get a taxi to collect my lap top and deliver it. There was a lot of trust around this idea as firstly I had to pay for my lap top repair over the phone, without collecting it myself then trusting a taxi driver to pick it up for me and bring it to my house. Well the company I trust as far as taxi’s and the repair company are new to me, but have been going for thirty years. Though the taxi bill was what we normally pay to come back from our town plus half again. Not sure why, but never mind it’s here and I am so happy.

 

So, lots to catch up with today. What have you all been up to? As for me, I’m still so bad with my hearing. Really awful tinnitus screaming in my left ear and both ears blocked. I have been out a couple of times with Wagga in the past two days and have totally relied on her to guide me.

 

Passing the monkeys in our local zoo today, they came to the fence. Well, at least two of them did. And there is a new bird in the neighbourhood. Well new to me. I have not heard it before. I really am rubbish when it comes to bird sounds, but it had what I would call a double tweet. And it was so loud I could even hear it.  The sun is shining it’s boiling out there but no sweet floral smells today. Lots of overgrown shrubs and trees to tease us along our journey. Waggs is cheeky, she avoids the low ones that interfere with her, but the tall ones that don’t bother her, she isn’t well, bothered. So, I get them in my face…

 

I again have huge respect for those of you who are blind and can’t hear. I am so dizzy with this and exhausted. You know when you can’t see, you get tired as you concentrate and use more energy doing that, but not being able to hear right too, is really too much.

 

Crossing roads has been so awful. I have just relied on Waggs and my faith. Haha.  Oh, and other drivers to watch out. Well I made it and I’m back home.

 

I seem to hear far away rather than close up. So, on my way back today, my girl stopped. I asked her to find the way, as it wasn’t in a place where there could be a car or fallen tree or dug up path. So, what had she stopped for? well I realised bless her, she stopped as a man was about to cross in front of us. Very polite Waggatail, she doesn’t normally be that kind. Well when he spoke, I said sorry, saying I didn’t know he was coming and please go ahead? Well I waited just the right time for him to come in front of me. Not being able to hear his footsteps and I didn’t feel his presence as I was so bad with balance only in my head, I didn’t look drunk to onlookers, honest….

 

Waggs still wouldn’t move. I asked her again. Find the way, but she refused. So, I took charge and stepped out. Only to find a man. Hahahaha. He decided to go ahead about thirty seconds after I told him to and we both just moved at the same time. Oh, well, looking incompetent is what I’m good at.

 

On we went and she was great after that. So many corners of buildings we had to go around today. Normally I use my hearing to know when I’m at the end of a building. Oh, it’s awful. I went to the chemist to get a spray rather than drops today. Put that in when I returned and it’s made them worse. I have never used the spray before. I pray by tomorrow I’m OK. The screaming is giving me a dreadful headache.

 

Last night we went out with friends and our friends’ brother and sister in law. We had a lovely evening. One of my friends had a really bad throat. I thought, that’s all I need. But it was great to see them. And we got on well with their relatives. Our friends’ brother is so clever. He drives a £70,000 car and earns a fortune; he lives in Scotland and has designed their new home which is amazing. But you know what? I really wouldn’t like their lifestyle. But they are good company and it was lovely to have some intelligent conversation. Though we did start to chat about politics and that isn’t a good place to go as their opinion is at the other side of what we believe in. I know this by what my friend has told me in the past. So, I quickly stopped the conversation and moved onto something else. It’s called being diplomatic. A skill I learned way back from my visits to the former USSR.

 

None of us could finish our meals. Really crazy I had two starters rather than a starter and main. It was delicious. Out of six of us, no one finished. What a waist?  But good food it was and I had some fizz and my normal lemonade. I only had fizz as Hub bought some because it was an anniversary of ours. The day we officially started dating. I, completely forgot. for Hub that date is more important than our wedding anniversary. I blamed my lap top. Saying that is why I didn’t know what date it was. Hahaha. Few….

 

Today our PM has given a date when she will step down. I feel for her. She has been really bullied. Treat so badly. She also hasn’t given what the voters voted for, and that is a shame.

Who we will end up with? Boris Johnson? Oh my God.

 

Well a long weekend for us, as it’s what we call Bank Holiday weekend. So, Monday off. Our dogs are on their free run tomorrow and we are out and about on Sunday. Can’t wait for that. Really excited about what we have planned.  Off to watch our soap now and then chill for the night. But before I go.

 

Finally, here are some great links for news on RP and other vision sight loss or blindness research.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01107-8

 

 


 

No comments: