translate

Friday 28 April 2017

THE KITCHEN DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

OK Bloggets. Here I am. What happened yesterday? Well, my builder didn’t turn up. It was to be their last day. The joiner came. So, I guess what there was to do, he could have done it, he did most of the work anyway. The electrician came. They were here by nine in the morning. My new ceiling remember was put up the day before with the plastering. All new. Well, the electrician couldn’t get the lights to work
In the ceiling.
So, what did he do? chiselled away at my new ceiling, pulling down loads more rubbish. Five holes later, he couldn’t decide what the trouble was with the lights. He said they were working when he left them a week ago, he was going to have to leave them until Tuesday now. I said no way, we have had no kitchen lights for eight days. He said well, with respect love, you and your Husband don’t exactly need lights?
Oh, don’t even get angry for me. Bloggets I got angry enough for all of us. Well, I told him firstly, my Son can see perfectly, our dogs can see, when the lights work to let them out at nights. They have to walk along a long kitchen without lights. If my Son wants to make a cup of tea or even get a drink of water, he has had to do it in the dark. Okay, so Hub and I don’t need them, does that make it Okay? Does that mean that we are happy the fact we can’t seem to need lights? Should the whole world live without any lights in their houses?

It was just after mid-day. The joiner came in my living room, closed both doors between me and the electrician. Even walked across the other side of the living room. I mean… It was like the secret service.

He whispered
“Between me and you Fiona. The builder is going crazy. The electrician said he tested it all on Wednesday last week and everything was OK. He is blaming us for hammering the wires when we put the boards up to do the work.

The electrician has done a few jobs for the builder of late that the builder has had to finish. To be honest Fiona.
(That would be a first)
I don’t think we will use them again.””

Me. I don’t give a stuff about the politics of this I had a good ceiling. Now it’s getting pulled down again and who is responsible I don’t care, it’s up to the builder to sort it out. Not my fault that he employs bad electricians.”

The electrician said he was going home. I said. No, you’re not. You are staying here until we have lights. He said, I quote.
“Sorry love, I have another job to go to!”
You can stay here I said until we have lights, it’s bad enough that now we are almost back to square one with our ceiling. He had the cheek to then say. I will give you a quote for the electric work for the kitchen fit. I gasped. The joiner said we will sort it all out when we fit the kitchen. I replied. Kitchen? Kitchen? Em. No, if you think you lot are getting this job, you can go and swivel.

The joiner then started packing up. He then got on the phone to the builder going outside to talk. The electrician then told me he could get a friend of his to come and try to get my electric working. I said no, you can get your friend to go to the job you were going to go to and stay here.

The joiner came in and said the builder would be here on Tuesday to finish the plastering and filling in the wholes. I just told him if he wants his money, he will be here tomorrow, which is today.

Six hours later, three hours after the joiner scurried off, the lights work. Now, are they safe? Bare in mind, our last lights were tied together with a bread tie and normal parcel tape. No wonder our switches got hot?

Well, today our, joiner friend came with his electrician and plumber. What a nice group of people. Especially our joiner and it was like a safe place. A feeling that we are being rescued. As for our builder? Hmm. He hasn’t arrived yet. It’s ten past three. I doubt he will come today, let’s see. If he doesn’t. I’m going to tell him not to bother. I really will have had enough. I have had enough. When the electrician left yesterday, oh boy, you should have seen the state of the floor?

They know we can’t see and we have two dogs. My Son was on a day off work. He came in among the mess after being out all day. He said. Mum. Careful there is such a mess in there. Then he hugged me and left for the day and most of the night, only coming home for bed.
I just stood there. In total disbelief. He brought his gf to the house, even though she has been in bed for two days with a really bad stomach infection. Thanks for that? She also saw the mess. I have been asking my Son to come with me for paint and flooring for a week now. So yesterday he had the day off. So, will you take me? No. He did offer to take me, when the workmen were here. I said I can’t leave them. Why not? I said I don’t want to leave the men in my house when I am not here and they ask questions all the time.

Everything has to be when he is ready, stuff what is going on in others life. He told me I have the full house to walk around. So why am I sitting on the sofa all the time? I said, because I have to stay here for the men to ask questions and to stay with Wagga who isn’t enjoying all the goings on. Also, there isn’t a room upstairs without loads of stuff on the floor. And, how exciting, walking up and down the stairs? He can be so selfish, something he has never been and wasn’t brought up like that. But if my Mums house was in such a state, no way I would walk out the house and leave her like that, now every day I have cleaned it up, he has been at work so hasn’t seen it like as bad, but yesterday he had all day. And he had a good day, enjoying every moment of it. So, I just hope I don’t get the stomach bug, and God help me but I won’t be asking him to do one more thing. What is wrong with kids these days? My friends who have daughters some help their parents, but, at a price. Normally girls can be bought, as for boys? Hmm. And that makes me proud, but I wish he would be a bit more thoughtful.

For him to climb over the mess to load the washing machine with his clothes, then just go out? I was shocked. No way he has mine or his Father’s genes in him as far as that is concerned. His father would have stayed and cleaned up the mess so I believe he was, I say was, an angel sent to me. Somehow along the way, the dark angel has corrupted him.

conclusion? Hmm. I wish we had never started. If you are thinking about getting a new kitchen, think twice then think again. It’s the heart of your home. It’s something you use every day more than once. But all of your house is upside down because of one room.

Ask yourself, can you modernise your old kitchen? Ours was beyond modernisation, but I wish I had stuck to the old horrid thing. So, what if, it was a pain with our cooker. We should have got a gas hob fitted. As for the cupboards? I just should have put up with them. Okay, none of them closed properly and they had a kind of paper rather than wood, it was all coming off. And the extractor fan wasn’t even connected to the blooming outside wall. But, I should have lived with it. Smile. Now in a month, I may be saying differently, when my kitchen is fitted. But boy, this has been hell.

Since I have started to write this, the men have come. Drilling again into our ceiling. Hub is working from home he went into the kitchen to talk with them. Oh my. Their backsides spoke more than their mouths.

They sound full of hell. It’s time to say bye to them though. We have a huge gap in our new sliding door between the wall and door. Going around feeling everything is a total pain. As for the ceiling? We just have to hope. At least when our kitchen gets fitted we will have a good person doing it so he is honest enough to tell us if something isn’t right also he won’t leave us with a rubbish ending.

I hope that when our kitchen is delivered, it all comes perfect but I bet we have doors damaged or missing parts?

Right, now I’m going to face them. I have to give them the news about the next stage. Wish me luck?
It’s been a long month




No comments: