translate

Wednesday 19 April 2017

KITCHEN DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good morning Bloggets. I’m up with the birds. Boy Wonder started work today at six a.m. He was on opening again. Hub left the house at twenty past six. My alarm went off at quarter past seven not that I slept, as I get churned up when I know Hub is travelling especially as yesterday he had a tough journey where the Little Fella had to work overtime, bless his paws he was amazing. I also had to be up early to clean our dog run again and sort more things out in the kitchen then at least try to make a cup of tea before I had to put away the water boiler again. Oh, I don’t like it at all. My house feels so unhomely. Everything is echoee. (English students, there is no such word as echoee.) It’s really disorienting when your footsteps echo and there is things all over the place that shouldn’t be there. I had a panic last night as couldn’t remember where the dog food was, but thankfully found it. It was where I left it but when you can’t see something, an inch, is as good as a miss!

I was mortified yesterday when one of the men, the person who came with the builder, you know, the builder who is meant to be doing our work? Well, who the guy was, I do not know but bless him he only was supposed to work until lunch time but stayed till three. Well he asked me had we just moved in? Oh heck, I was so ashamed. I mean, we have a cake tin in the office, a glass dish with a lid next to it with Easter cake in and cereal in the third bedroom as well as pans casserole dishes dinner sets and oven trays as well as all of our crystal and china just everywhere. We tried to keep it into piles, but our rooms are so small it’s impossible. Downstairs is much bigger and we have our two china units again out of the kitchen, one in the conservatory and it comes in two, so there is six feet of units in the middle of the floor and the other one is in the living room along with the vacuum because I don’t want the builders using it. Oh, and the speakers? The ones we had for sale on EBay? They sold straight away. Great, get them out of the house. As now they are in front of the window and they are huge. There are two tall speakers, one subwoofer and one centre thing. Whatever that means. I know the sound is great but it’s massive furniture, but we sold it so yep yep. And we got a great price on it. Only the guy who bought it though he is Polish, thankfully he’s not from Poland, but he may as well be, he lives four hours away and can’t collect until next Thursday. Hub told me I had to deal with him as he is working. I said I wasn’t happy with that, the man’s voice on the phone sounds really scary. And he is very demanding, rude actually, Hub said it’s just their way. Hahaha. Well, I know what he means as when I used to know Russian, people, they could be rather abrupt. I know when I had my eye injections, there was one lady who sometimes came and did my needles and she was terrifying. Her face was so scary and her voice so deep and serious some would say harsh. An yet she was the kindest most gentle lady in that hospital. I ended up loving her over the 16 years I travelled for eye treatment to Moscow!

So, in the meanwhile, we have four speakers in our sitting room. My house is a tip. I hate it. My friend has her family coming to stay with her for a month whilst they get their kitchen fitted, gosh how lucky they are to have a comfortable home to go to. This is like living in a tent.

Well, my builder is here now, I opened the gate for him and unlocked the back door and he had to knock on the front door as he couldn’t open the back door. Hahaha Haha. I said to him a big strapping man like you can’t open an unlocked door? EEEEEE, I think I say too much. I give him a little talking to last night over the phone as I was not best impressed with his work, or lack of it yesterday. He told me he would be two days and he is now saying he may be finished by next Monday. So, let’s see how far he gets today and if I am not happy, I am not getting him to do the kitchen fitting. My Husband has wanted our trust worthy joiner from the start but this guy said he could fit the kitchen in four days and his price was of a similar one to our good guy but the electric work is cheaper but I’m now thinking I was stupid and should have gone with our joiner. Let’s see if my sharp stick worked?

Now it’s gone very quiet in there. I think the builder has left again. Leaving this new man who came today who has already claimed my two tall cupboards for his shed. He has his eye on the tiles too. The builder has his heart of claiming a very odd box on our ceiling.
Don’t ask.
I’m scared.
Knowing this house, there is probably an attempt of a sunken bath from upstairs. I can visualise our Sons bed falling through.

My poor little Waggatail will get cabin fever over the next couple of days. I may go to our Chinese tomorrow night, and give her some work. I think our ceiling is coming down tomorrow. You know, the ceiling that should have come down either yesterday or today? Our wall isn’t even knocked out where the new sliding door is going on Friday.

My kitchen designer phoned me today. Well the other day Hub and I went to see him sign papers and he was so much better. He showed us things this tie like the splash back that goes behind the cooker and the extractor fan as well as the fridge and freezers. Oh, and the plate warmer. Our builder yesterday asked as I told him we need an independent plug for our warm draw, what’s a draw warmer? Hahaha. Well, I had to answer. A place to warm my drawers…. (Draws slang for underwear)

It was one of those cringing Fi moments. I have many. He didn’t laugh, I didn’t laugh. It went quiet. SO, I had to kind of break the ice and tell him it was a drawer that you pull out and can warm plates or keep things warm. He told me I was posh… I’m thinking, heck you are going to fit my kitchen and you don’t know what a plate warmer is?

Oh, I have just heard his voice, so one hour into my work starting for the day he is still there. His voice is almost like my Brother in laws. The other guy who is with him sounds like a squeaky puppet. I don’t care as long as my work gets done. One good thing they haven’t put a radio on thankfully. I can’t stand it when workmen do that then leave the house for hours with that blasting.

I wouldn’t say we are half way through yet. May be just a quarter. It’s going to be a long month!

No comments: