translate

Monday 3 April 2017

KITCHEN DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Update firstly on my garden. Boy Wonder came home and said when he looked out from the window, wow. He says it looks brand new. He said there isn’t a weed in sight in between the slabs. Fantastic. He ended up staying three hours but it’s a good job, thank goodness. I got away with not telling I am blind, great, so happy with that. Perhaps that is why he did a good job?

BW is out it’s a calm warm night so they have gone for a walk. Kids are odd, it’s sunny, they sleep and it’s dark they walk. Shamrock started her new job today, she is working for the NHS. I’m not sure she will like it, but let’s hope she can stand it so she can one day be a nurse.

We have a box we record from. It talks and if our TV is off, and it’s recording, it still speaks to let us know it’s started to record. Oh, my days? I have just let Waggatail out and it’s nine in the evening. It’s so quiet out there, kind of eerie so still. No traffic which is very unusual and I don’t like going out there when it’s dark, it’s spooky. Don’t mind when my Hub is home, but not when I’m on my own, and Wagga wouldn’t bark if a wolf wearing a woolly coat came walking down the path, let alone a burglar. So, with a silent house, and suddenly a voice starts to talk? I jumped a mile. Haha.

My friend is texting me though, so I feel safer. She is a lovely lady and I’m blessed to know her, sad that we don’t live close to each other, but she is in my heart and that is as close as close can be.

Well, my kitchen? It’s a long story and already I’m sick of it. As you know we went to see the kitchen choices and it was going to be a little stressful as Hub and I were on our own. We had spent hours in our kitchen walking around, using the tactile tape measure trying to work out just where we wanted things as if you can imagine, to sit with a designer in an open plan shop/showroom would be daunting. Trying to imagine our kitchen with a decent set of units in was difficult for me. Because obviously, I have never seen this kitchen and I have no memory of it because of that reason.

I phoned first and told the person on the phone that Hub and I were blind and would it be Okay if they would be able to show us around? Oh yes, no problem. Well, we arrived early, the lovely lady met us at the door and we told her we had an appointment with the designer. Haha, that is a joke, but hey, more in a mo.

The man said our names and we smiled in his direction and the lady came to us and apologised. Well, what for? That was a good start, he said our names and walked off for us to follow him. Very helpful.

She guided us to the man. She was lovely. He was a total AH if you must know. I didn’t like his attitude from the start. All the kitchens in that show room, guess how many he showed us? And only because we had to ask him to show us, we saw two. Well luckily, they were nice ones, and there was a choice of colour. One colour was very nice, sea blue, kind of a green blue. But I wanted to avoid colours as they go out of fashion. So, what colour did I go for? Cream, and I asked the man was it a dirty white colour, or real cream, a good question don’t you think? Well, he was miffed to think that his kitchens could possibly be dirty anything. Hahahahah. Well, Hub said I didn’t help as one kitchen we passed I turned to Hub and said it was really a cheap and nasty looking kitchen… But it was. I can’t even for a second imagine anyone giving it house room.

You know I said I didn’t want a shaker style kitchen?
Well
I chose a shaker style kitchen.

When I looked at them before they were wooden with awful round old fashioned wooden handles, we have chosen a high gloss cream kitchen and the handles I picked are called little Daisy. Haha. Apparently, all of the handles have old fashioned lady’s names.

When it came to the work tops, he couldn’t be bothered to get off his butt and show us around so he brought a few samples to us. And guess what? Only the four range so the most expensive range. By this point, we had been in the room for about an hour and forty minutes. I think he was tired, it had been a long day. I can empathise with that. We chose beautiful work tops, I described what I wanted and they are quartz, I think that is how you spell it. They are white with cream markings and darkish brown with a dark blue. He did describe that to us. You have upstands now in kitchens, this is where the worktops continue up the wall for the height of a wall tile. I then had to remind him he hadn’t shown us the sinks? Well, how was he going to bring a choice of those to us? Hahehehe. I suggested to Hub that I would go this time as we wanted stainless steel so not much for me to choose? There were four. One was very shallow, one deep one had a very flat steel drainer with no grooves at all and the other was just normal, not too deep not shallow and the grooves on the draining board were quite deep. Then for the taps. I didn’t like the swan kind, I picked a mixer tap that goes up straight and then just out. It was funny as I was feeling the range of taps, I found one and thought that looks odd? Just about to tell the (DESIGNER) how odd that looked when he smiled and said someone has obviously stolen that part. Hahaha. Where had I come to?

Oh my, there was what is called a tall range. To get your eggs from the fridge, you needed step ladders. Who would want a fridge like that?

I told him where I wanted our display units and what kind of corner pull out shelving/cupboards we wanted. Hub said he was going to keep quiet as had no confidents he could work out where what was going, but he did really well, remembering it all so well.

We had to decide which way the doors opened and where we want the fridge and freezer. I would like the cooker put in the middle of the wall at the moment it’s right to one side.

Oh my, to be able to have a cooker I can use? At last, also not to have to go to the garage outside to dry my clothes. Our dryer is in there and it’s awful we go out into the front of the garden to get to our garage. Same with the freezer, well the big freezer. It’s out there. Because our kitchen is tiny.

Gosh there will be so much work to do, Hub and I will be spending Easter weekend emptying cupboards drawers and so on. Where to put everything? Then there are our two huge wall units full of crystal, bar wear and china as well as my collections of salt and pepper sets and mugs.

I think I have about 47 salt and pepper sets. So, 94 altogether. We are going to have two broom cupboards. Oh, I can’t wait as now you should see our kitchen, it’s so bad, I’m ashamed of it. A lot of people come into our kitchen and say it’s nice, but I don’t think they look at the bottom end where the junk is because there are no cupboards to put things.

I hope my lovely joiner will do our floor, but the builder we had in the other day to see our window, said he fears the floor will all need redoing. Don’t ask… Dread dot com.

Since the kitchen order, we have been sent the plans. Of course, it’s all in pictures but there are a few words to show us how much everything is and what it is. I had to write to the (DESIGNER) because he left an important item out and he had the wrong colour worktops in the plan. He was is hopeless. I wish we could have had the lady. He doesn’t fill me with confidents. One good thing, I managed to get the dishwasher free. Hahaha. Hub was mortified, in fact his morti has never been so fied. As the dishwasher was already half price. Well, less for them to give me free, right?

I also learned today, a few days after we paid the deposit, that our kitchen will come when they say, not like the man said when we want it. And, the kitchen has to be in a week before the work tops will be fitted. So, how long without a kitchen?

It’s going to be a pain, as Hub and I can’t just pop in the car and go and get some convenient food. And Boy Wonder has said he is away with a friend for a couple of days at least when our kitchen is due… Well, I am trying to lose weight.

Everything is up in the air right now. There is so much to do. Painters, plumber’s electricians, joiners, fitters floor, and before all of that, a builder. WE are blocking in our back door and turning a window into a sliding door. So, bricks to build and bricks to knock out as well as moving radiators and lifting tiles and remember our tiles are double. The man before us put tiles on top of other tiles. Hence why the floor will probably need renewing. Oh, and there is my ceiling, remember the cracks? And the very odd things that the man before us put on it.

As for the colour of the walls? Not sure what colour I will go for. I did think about a pale blue. Then a strong cup of tea, with a tiny bit of milk. Smile. Or a dark mushroom colour.

Well we are in for a bumpy ride. It’s scary but seriously, I can’t wait until its finished because to have a cooker I just can’t work properly and cupboards that are fallen apart is awful. We are not going on holiday for the next few years so this is my Caribbean, my beautiful Italy and my seaside south of France holiday.


No comments: