translate

Saturday 8 April 2017

DIARY OF THE DAY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good afternoon Bloggets. Well this morning we got up at a silly hour for a Saturday just to get to our town before the rush. So early we left that the birds were still having their breakfast. It was a warm spring morning, sweet fragrances from the gardens as we passed by and the sounds of early gardeners starting to get their garden tools from their sheds and garages! In my grey blanket across my eyes this morning, I saw dancing daffodils, green grass, beautiful blue skies and sunshine kissing our path as our shadows broke the yolky sunlight. Well, in my imagination.

Our bus came quickly and on we got. Hub told me it was the bus ages before it parked up. The engine was so loud and only today, and professional blind people will laugh at this, but only today I worked out that the engine comes from the back. Haha. Oh my. I am a useless blind person outside my home. Normally I’m like my Waggatail, I don’t like the noise I get very disoriented. When I hear a bus I’m already thinking, oh heck, and I get very dizzy. All the noise spins around me. And this makes it so difficult to detect where I should be. I’m learning though, each day at a time, as I do things that I didn’t or wouldn’t before.

LF lead the way with Hub and I followed with my cane. Would there be a seat? If so what would we go through to get to it? Well, I thought there was a spare seat as there was a gap, no, em, outside. Luckily, I felt all the way along rather than just the space at the end. As sitting silently, there was a body. Obviously skinny… And wouldn’t be silent for long if I hadn’t have noticed that person sitting there.

And then Hub called me and said he found two seats. Hahaha. It’s like Bingo. He says, here…

Our half hour began and then Hub told me some reassuring news.
“You know our normal bus stop we come home from?””
Yes.
“Well apparently,, the council have moved it!””
Oh great. Now you tell me? He said I know, I have been awake all night worrying about it but if I told you last night or last week when I learned about it, you would have stressed. And there is no good us both stressing.

As the bus weaved in and out going only 9 MPH. Our IPhone told us this, it did the very obvious turn to tell us that was our stop. We walked along, the market was about to get busy and people were rushing around all ready to get their shopping done before the vast amount of people and tourists came to the city.

Long and short of it is, LF was amazing. Hub said his tail was almost around the harness handle. LF’s that is, not Hubs. Hahaha.
Now that’s an image…. Fast forward.

We passed our hairdressers and Little Fella stopped took Hub to the door and Hub told him well done but not today.

On we went, and the street furniture today was the worst I have ever known it, huge vans because we were early, the shops were receiving deliveries. They park half on the path too. There were new barriers preventing people from going on the road, hmm. Well, in today’s society, may be all pathways should be with barriers.

After we went about our business, I was so much in a whirl. The noise was awful. Made our back garden like a cemetery smile, that is where I am sitting now. Oh, my it’s so noisy here. I have my earphones in and it’s still really loud the traffic never stops.

Before we came home, we called in at our coffee shop and did well in the queue. Normally we manage to get to the front, dogs don’t always have manners when it comes to queues.

Well, we found a seat but had to do a double take. The stools were those high bar stools can you imagine if they turned out to be tables? Hahahaha. Fifi on the table? Well, wouldn’t be the first time.

I love the smells of coffee. They played classical music too. Made our way out and then the busses of tourists had arrived. Oh, my Lord. Hub walks so fast too so trying to keep up was a bit of a challenge and a couple of times he had to wait for me as there were crowds of people standing and I can’t use my cane properly in those situations. Walked closely behind him and on our way again. Where was this bus stop?

Well, turned out that it did move, but a few months ago and we already knew it. So, the person telling Hub was just a few months late.

We didn’t get to sit next to each other on the way back and most people on the bus were normal. Hahaha this is rare, we always seem to people listen and find some very odd people, today really normal, how disappointing.

Hub got talking to a lovely old man. Normally Hub is quite quiet but today, not sure what got into him, but he talked and talked, mind you, the man was a lovely gentleman and very clever.

We got off the bus and thankfully this time we had a good driver who didn’t take us on a wild goose chase and we got off where we normally would.

The smells of freshly cut grass was so lovely. All the sounds of the strimmer’s. Birds sang and trees waved just above our heads.

We got to our front door and LF was so pleased with himself. As were we pleased with him. Wagga was sulking as we walked in, but half an hour later, June our wonderful dog walker came to take them out for a long free run.

They are now sleeping and tonight there is some more work for LF and this time Waggatail will be joining him.

So once again, we did it, I’m so proud. Hub was, is, amazing. What a team he and LF are.

Sitting in our back garden reflection on a day when we can say we went to our town, walked for about an hour, not counting time spent in some shops and the coffee shop and got the correct bus home. How is this even possible? Well, without Hubs Little Fella of a guide dog, it wouldn’t be. So, grateful to the staff who put the hard work into training and doing all the background work as well as the puppy trainers puppy walkers and those who look after the mothers of the pups and the puppies newly born. There is such a long process involving the success of a guide dog, but at the end of it, they give us life.

Our Son came home for lunch. And he is off out after work to treat his pal who is leaving their workplace, to a drink. He just learned today that he has been promoted. He is now a key holder, so a lot of paperwork and responsibility involved and that is what he needs.

Right, I shall go in now and prepare for round two. Xx



No comments: