translate

Thursday 6 October 2016

THE INTERVIEW RESULT BY FIONA CUMMINGS


The phone call came today. Oh gosh. I was ready to ask questions but when the time came. I was numb. I kind of froze and then I was given the news. Of course I was expecting it, I was not successful with the job interview. I did manage in the end to get some words out, though I’m sure they didn’t come across as eloquently as one hoped.

 

I asked where I went wrong. He said I didn’t go wrong in fact I came across as the most passionate person for the role but at the end of the day, it was a case of experience. He said a catch 22 situation. To get a job you need experience. To get experience you need a job and there were a few others that had dealt in management roles before and where I lacked was facts and figures around business. I forgot to ask how many points I got out of the fifty but not sure he would be allowed to tell me that? Dam, I wonder if my Husband will let me in on that one? Haha. I bet he won’t? I will ask him tonight.

 

He said that I came across as very calm during the interview. I was, surprisingly calm. Not when I came out mind you? I was shaking like the chains on a ghost. He said at the end of the day I came up against a few very strong candidates. I did get the feeling though that I did OK he said it was a very good interview and I had some incredibly strong points. He also suggested that perhaps I should have a word with the office to try to get more involved in something he felt I would be more suitable at and that was campaigning and fund raising and if I volunteered in such matters, he felt that doors perhaps would open for me there in the future. Em. No, sadly I’m rubbish at begging and trying to subtract money out of people. As for the campaigning, perhaps I will look into it because he did say I would be involved with talking to councillors, trying to persuade them to do whatever we are in need of. Well, that was part of the role I thought that I was already applying for? I do wonder if I should perhaps forget about this organisation and look at another, though my passion is with those who have no sight or who are losing it. My dream job apart from being an author and a teacher, haha, would be working in hospitals talking with people who have just been newly diagnosed. I feel my heart would be open to those people whereas now sadly people get given paperwork and numbers to call, which is all very well but I feel that should be the second stage, after the help that should be there for those who are in shock, some would say suffering from grief.

 

I hope I have not let you all down? I have received so many emails messages about those of you who wouldn’t dare even think about applying for a job and now have the courage as you know what I’m like? I hope this still is the case, yes, it is so difficult to get a job especially if you can’t see, but more so if you have never worked and if you have never worked, no one will employ you. So that vicious circle. Round and round we go. I know I’m exhausted by it all. It has caused a few words in our household as my darling man is the boss there and I didn’t expect him to help me that would be so wrong in so many ways, but when it came to things like asking him for his help to know what a motion was? And he did seem to try to get me not to apply, is that because he doesn’t want his wife working for him? I put this to him and he said bless him, he was proud of me and would love me to work in his office, but couldn’t seem to be seen to be involved in any way. Well I did learn last night that there is one person who has had words about this situation and he is very hurt by it, I must say as am I. Hub is very honest too honest I would say in work matters. But I have had such a lot of kind words from some of the staff in the office and the day of the interview well wishes and kind hearts were open and sent my way. That I will never forget.

 

I was pleased that I got a job interview I think there were over twenty people who applied and I was one of between seven and nine people roughly who got an interview, something I never even expected. Apparently that was because of my application form and the cover letter I wrote with it. So not a total failure, just a semi one. Haha.

 

For anyone out there who is young, please try to work don’t be like me? I failed because of awful circumstances. I don’t wish that for you. Try volunteering and hopefully that will open doors for you. For those my age, not quite ready for your pension, come on, there is still good in the old dog yet? X

No comments: