translate

Sunday 16 October 2016

A DIARY OF LULLABIES BY FIONA CUMMINGS


A very gentle blog I hope, with a subject that is close to my heart, but first,

we were and are, joined by so many countries today. This morning we had views from Mexico Ukraine, Canada, Spain and South Africa, but tonight hello to Philippines, Sweden, Morocco, Belgium, Poland, Australia, US, Turkey, UK, and Germany, again each time I check the stats it’s the top ten countries who have had the most views who are on my stats. For all of those countries who are just out of the top ten, I hope you will be viewable, or in my case, audible tomorrow.

 

So the subject of this blog? Something I have been asked about this weekend by a lady, and I read an old school pals words that he couldn’t sleep, so this is what is said to have a good night sleep. I have written many times before about the subject on how to get the best sleep, and some things I wrote about I use and have used since doing so, my sleeping has become a little better. At least now once I get to sleep, the sleep is quite deep. Only thing is, it’s not for longer than may be a couple of hours.

 

So, I thought I would read a bit on the subject and let you know what is going around other than my suggestions of wonderful lavender pillow spray and positive thoughts as well as comfortable bedding/pillows and no technology before bed. Gosh, something I just can’t give up but it’s scientifically proven that tech tangles with your sleep, it inhibits the production of melatonin which induces sleep, so other than the latter, I can do the rest.

 

What else is suggested? The environment of your bedroom. So do you have clutter around the floor of your place of slumber? Even if you can’t see, you feel the closing in of the junk, so try to tidy it away? Then the lighting, if you can see, then the lighting is important. You don’t want brash bulbs, try to go more for subtle glows, rather than dancing disco lighting. Your lamp shades will be important too, depressing black shades in your bedroom won’t be very comforting. Try more pastel colours and nothing with heavy patterns or anything that will cause scary shadows on the ceiling.

 

The window dressings are your own preference. If you like the moon light making its way through your window, or a near by street lamp, that is good, thin blinds then are a possibility, but if you like to be in total darkness, and don’t want to be woken by the daylight, then blackout blinds or curtains are what you may need.

 

You don’t want to be cold or too hot, so experiment with the kind of heating or air you need in your room. Personally I can’t sleep without a window open. But the window away from my bed. So in our en-suite is perfect.

 

Keeping a systematic bedtime is recommended. I touched on this in my last blog on the subject of sleep. Well that is good if you can but some people are unable to do this, if you keep your schedule within an hour, this should be fine. This includes waking up at about the same time too!  

 

Chamomile tea, it has anti-anxiety effects and research suggests that it releases something called glycine, which is a natural sedative.

 

So, may your pillow be a fluffy cloud and the angels sing sweet lullabies. Know that the stars have come to wish you sweet dreams and the moonlight is there to guide you to that path of dreams.

No comments: