translate

Monday 31 October 2016

HALLOWEEN


The day has arrived. That day which only comes once a year. (Halloween)

You either dread it, cope with it or love it.

 

With our shopping disaster, the other day, I’m behind in my pumpkin soup… But thanks to Tesco coming to my rescue, today a pumpkin has arrived. When teen saw it as he ate his lunch from work, he chuckled. “Mum. Seriously? How big is the soup going to be?”” Well, it is a small one, in comparison to what Teen and Shamrock picked the other day, but I joked and said your pumpkin has had a baby. (Hope that is the only thing having the baby?)

He took a picture of it and I’m sure it is featured on his facebook page along with the one he carved last night at Shamrocks house. His sounds great, he even managed to make sure the pumpkin had pupils as he said he carefully carved the eyes. He is very artistic as a child at school his art was always remarked upon by his teachers as being years ahead of his school pals but sadly it’s something that he has left behind as shows little interest now.

 

I don’t like soup on the same day of making it, so I will make it today but we will eat it tomorrow. I have my treats for the little monsters who may come, and I hope they are little, as I don’t like teens coming to the door. And when kids just turn up knock on the door and say nothing? Just obviously stand there with masks on? I get so cross I just close the door. But what is worse, is when teens come to the door not even dressed up? What is the point? I call them beggars… Thankfully we don’t get many of those here.

 

I think Teen wants to give some treats out, thankfully he has tradition passed down to him by me. Gosh I used to really dress the house for every occasion. I don’t really bother now, but at least I have some treats for those who may come tonight and for those who don’t, I’m sure Teen and Shamrock will enjoy them.

 

So how about a real ghost story from England?

William Terriss was a dashing 19th century actor he was murdered at the stage door of the Aldelphi theatre in London. The Matinee idol had drawn thousands of people to his performances in popular melodrama. At the time of his death, he was portraying Captain Thorne in “Secret Service”. He He spent the afternoon of Thursday 16th of December 1897 playing whist, at his West End club, before taking a taxi to the theatre at about seven in the evening.  As he entered the building, a man rushed across the street and stabbed him.  The killer was another actor called Richard Prince, he was arrested and sent to a Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum.

 

Terriss was said to have re visited a baker he used to frequent, rattling the door with a top hat, a frock coat and grey suit, the bakers was demolished and is now Covent Garden underground.

 

He has also been seen many times in the theatre and when he is seen, he just seems to disappear into thin air. From what I can gather, he was also in a play where there was a murder and the play was based around Broadmoor.

 

Now that’s not really scary, right? Though if a man wearing a top hat frock coat and grey suit rattles my door tonight, and no, that isn’t a euphemism, I think I would faint. Firstly, because men don’t dress like that anymore, and secondly because for me to know what the man was wearing, I would be able to see? Hahaha.

 

 So not scary, but I just wondered, how do we see ghosts wearing certain kind of clothing? Not always what they are buried in. If it was what they were cremated or buried in then I would understand, mind you, there wouldn’t be much left of the material after a cremation, but I would understand, ish, but how does this happen? And as humans on earth, we change our clothes regular, ghosts don’t seem to? I totally believe in ghosts, angels spirit whatever you call the unknown, I wish I understood more and I know we are not meant to, but it would be great if we did!

 

I don’t have the time to look up some spooky poetry right now, but I may post some in half an hour or so, but I can tell you one of my favourite poems again isn’t really scary, but spooky is a poem by Robert Frost called Ghost House. It’s simply beautiful and paints a stunning mind picture.

 

Well if you live alone and don’t want to answer the door tonight, remember because the clocks have changed in the UK, it’s dark at five tonight. So, close your blinds or curtains and lock your doors keeping your lights low so people don’t think you are in. Where I used to live years ago people used to put basket or buckets of sweets out and the kids were so good that they only took enough for themselves leaving goodies for other little ghosties to come after them. I know that not everyone can do that though. Be safe and remember it’s a bit of fun.

 

 

No comments: