translate

Friday 28 October 2016

PUT A STAMP ON CHURCH


I just heard something on the radio about church, forgive me if I don’t get this one hundred per cent correct but for the first time in a century, it’s shown that the Church of England have one million less people per year going to church and at Christmas time, the stats are up more of us go, three million more than years ago. Some churches in the UK have only four people attending on a Sunday and there are something like one hundred churches with believe it or not, post offices in them and three hundred which have shops inside of them.

 

So, why are less of us going to church? And why do some people feel the need to go only at Christmas? I can only speak for myself but there is something very special about a church at Christmas. Firstly, there are candles and there aren’t in general the rest of the year not the places I have been to anyway.  I love the smell of candles in church. It gives it that kind of time gone by feel, this is why I don’t like modern buildings as churches. Though I do like modern idea’s. I loved it when I went to America and after a talk by a fantastic Pastor, we all headed into a room full of sunshine and we ate homemade soup with delicious sandwiches. Long tables filled the room and cheerful people came to talk to us. We were made to feel so welcome. And left with a feeling in my opinion what everyone should feel like when they leave church, a feeling of belonging and wanted. Important too and in a close family of other people who frequent church.

 

I dislike it when we leave a church feeling beat up about something, perhaps something we have been told we are doing wrong? Maybe we are lectured about doing more?  I was quite surprised by our church last Sunday, a collection of shoe boxes were asked for. This is where people fill shoe boxes with items in for children and near Christmas, they get sent to parts of the world where children normally wouldn’t get a Christmas gift. All very well, but, it was said that if we didn’t have a shoe box, we could pick one up from the back of the church. Very nice. How kind of someone bringing all the boxes in from home… I’m sure it was a great idea to clear out some cupboards and rather than clutter up their recycle bins, they can bring them to church to do some good. Here was my problem with it all. If we were to pick up a box, that by the way would be given free and cost nothing as we get our shoe boxes free when we buy shoes, our church asked for a 50p contribution. Really? So not only are the congregation expected to fill these boxes, but pay for them too? I really felt that this was a dreadful request.

 

Our church is very friendly, there are some lovely people there, and they are trying to get the young people to attend. By doing this, I just hope they don’t forget those who have been loyal to their church for years. Sunday was really like a children’s party. Fun and games. And the games I’m not quite sure what they were meant to teach the children other than come to church and play?

 

I felt for those who didn’t have smart phones as we were all asked to take out our phones and link our names with colours on the phone and the screen at the front of the room. Somehow www and dot com doesn’t feel right for me in a church.

 

What makes a lovely church environment to me is the great hymns, time to reflect, a jolly person talking to us. A feeling of belonging and nice stories true stories about how people have been helped in our local area. Our church does do tea and coffee afterwards this is nice time for people to have a chat. I do like that. As for churches having post offices and shops in them to get people in? Will this really get them to attend church on a Sunday? So, Molly needs a stamp. Wow, this is a great post office, I must come to church on Sunday? No, that really won’t get people in, a coffee shop may, as they can see leaflets or posters saying what events the church is hosting whilst they sip on a cappuccino, but not whilst you are hurrying around buying things.

 

It’s just my opinion, we are for sure doing something wrong. And of course, God is everywhere so for those who can’t get to church or don’t want to, that doesn’t make you a bad person. But church is a great start to meeting new people. Where ever you are right now, may peace be in your heart. X

No comments: