translate

Wednesday 19 October 2016

DIARY OF THE GYPSIES AND THE DOCTOR BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good evening Bloggets. Whilst the rain is pounding down and the air outside is trying to come in our house but so far being prevented by closed doors and curtains, as well as the heating keeping us warm, I’m grateful that we have a house, a roof over our head sort of speak. I cannot imagine sleeping outside as so many do. And we are not even into deep dark winter yet.

 

Teen is out with his friend. Where? Your guess is as good as mine, he said locally. It’s almost midnight and Hub is working. Emailing and so on. Crazy. He got in just before seven tonight. He looked shattered. LF was starving, he wolfed his dinner down as for our dinner, oh I enjoyed it immensely. I made mash potato but I put a sweet potato in the pan as well as a parsnip, mashed it all together, do you know the benefits of sweet potatoes? They are a super food. I did cauliflower and we had delicious carrots. Organic carrots are also beneficial. Not sure why organic are recommended over ordinary ones but they are and that is OK because that is what we eat. I believe that you can really taste the difference between normal and organic. The boys had braised beef and I had vegetarian Quorn sausage and Yorkshire pudding. Yum. I made a thick gravy too and really enjoyed it normally I just can’t be bothered to eat but tonight was an exception.

 

Earlier in the day, I received the dreaded call from my Doctor. I have to go for another blood test. They are not happy about my blood count. Something to do with my liver. Typical, I drink the equivalent of about a bottle of wine about every 7/8 months. Not even two bottles per year. And I have trouble with my liver? Of course I have done a search on Google. You know what it is like when you try to do self-diagnoses, don’t you? I’m now scared stiff, though I have a friend who says it’s common for a woman of my age to have this, really? What I read lead to all sorts of really scary stuff. I need to find that sand. Hub said that by running away from the situation, could make things worse. Hmm. One of the articles I read said that if you have liver damage you could die within five years. Oh great… And the worst thing is, it’s fifteen days before I can get another blood test, then another five to seven days after then when the results will be in. So twenty days of worry.

 

My cholesterol is perfect, I’m not a diabetic either, my kidneys are perfect it’s just my liver they are worried about. Stressing. At this time, I wish I had a friend who was or is a Doctor. I have friends who are teachers, managers, solicitors, bankers, business men and women Pa’s secretaries and shop keepers, but no Doctors. I can tell you I am really scared. And when I tried to prompt the Doctor on the phone what she thinks is wrong, she said after a few seconds of silence, best wait to learn of new results.

 

Stupid though I may sound, I never knew that the liver was the size of a football? Heck, that is massive. I read a great description. Your liver is like a shop that is open 24/7. Always working, so obviously if that goes wrong, so many things just won’t come together. And it’s shocking just how much our liver does for the body. Not fair though, I don’t drink. I don’t like drinking, an yet friends of mine who do great impressions of fish, are fine.

 

So for the next almost three weeks I will be biting my nails. But at least I have a lovely few days to look forward to. I’m out on Saturday, Hub and I are going to the theatre. That will be lovely, I just hope we can find the door, it’s been ages since we were last there. And Sunday Hub is playing piano in church where as next Saturday we are on a train to see our dear friends and in the middle of all of that, I have a fun lady coming for coffee.

 

My knee was a load better today thankfully. Maybe it’s starting to mend? I hope so as I’m tired with the pain.

 

Gosh I miss our lovely place we stayed in France. It was amazing. Hub and I were talking about it tonight. It seems like a life time away.

 

Our poor friend in Mexico is really ill. I just wish he lived closer. He has had such bad health since he went their poor soul. He is such a great man. He has no children now as his daughter sadly died many years ago. I love him as a daughter would love her Dad. And I just hope he will be feeling better soon as he is receiving some sort of treatment.

 

My latest on line order of an item has been received today. I ordered new cushion pads and covers. For my sofa. I got one black velvet one, one around cream velvet and two gold, beige and red cushions with like a leaf pattern on. Our sofa is black to match the mantle and furniture. Now I just have to keep LF off the black velvet one. He never gets on the sofa, but he has been known to carry things in his mouth, that is why I try to have lots of toys to choose from laying around. Dog toys of course. Haha.

 

Oh my goodness, wait till I tell you this? Our doorbell rang today. Shock horror, someone used the bell? Rather than using our door as a punch bag to bang like the drugs squad about to smash their way through?

 

It was a nice man saying he was in the area. Well, that was obvious? He said he was doing drives and he noticed we had some weeds and lots of moss and would we like a quotation? Well, we have been done so many times before that I was very apprehensive to continue the conversation but I also know that Hub has said on many occasions that we need the sand done again in between the tiles/bricks.

 

The man who did the drive said he would come back after a year and a half and we paid a little more to have this done, still waiting three years later. I have text him phoned him and he just won’t come back out. Shocking as really he was the dearest person we got a quote from. Because he was recommended so we thought he was the best and I must say, he was brilliant. His work was the best I have ever known and my neighbours have said we have the most atractive drive in our street. So pleased with the man’s work. Anyway, I agreed that these guys as another came out with him, joining him half way through the conversation on my door step.

 

Only thing is, he said he would fix my bricks too? I asked what was wrong with my bricks? He told me to come and take a look. Scary? well it was then he was pointing that I had to tell him I was blind. He was so lovely and said he was sorry he didn’t know. I said it’s OK. He described the bricks. So, four were or are, coming up. He said he would do those, do the sand weeds and moss. Long and short of it, I knocked quite a chunk of money off his price. Then another £20. They said they would come back tomorrow. I told Hub on the phone as he was on the train by this point. He said to cancel. Oh heck…

 

All I know is our drive was expensive and for the sake of a little money in comparison, it would continue looking good, but Hub is right, we have to be more careful and less trusting, now wait for this one? They left a card. Teen read the number and name of the company out to me. hahahhaa. I put it in Google search engine. Well company not recognised, but the phone number? Oh no’nooo’noooo’noooooooo

Looks like they are blooming gypsies. Now I know you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover an all that, but sorry, I’m not going there. Shame as really, they were nice guys, well one was, the other was a bit of a wild boy. Haha. Only thing is now, they are due tomorrow, how will I handle it?

 

 

No comments: