translate

Wednesday 24 October 2018

RESEARCH THE AGE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


The sun is shining, it’s a beautiful day. I have just got in, I met with my dear friend and we had a wonderful afternoon. She’s my tonic. I love her. I just feel so sad when I get back home as I know it will be six weeks before I see her again. Gosh her life is so full of business. So, I have an hour before I start again. Housework this week has had to take a part time burner. The essentials have been done. And I’m so bored with it. My brain is screaming for something to occupy those cells. I really did want to volunteer for Age concern. But I know I would get too involved and feel so sad for those who are on their own, as well as angry. I hear of people saying how lonely they are and they have children, obviously grown up, but obviously again, never give their elderly parent a second thought. And the older person says things like well, they are busy with their own life. they have all the rest of their own life to live when their parents are long gone. We really do live in a selfish world. Hub suggested that I may visit elderly people, but I would want to cheer them up, and how can I do that if I am too concerned about their mental health. As in depression. If people live on their own, and can’t get out of the house, obviously they will end up suffering. And the last lot of words I have written say a lot of obvious and obviously in, but it’s just that. Obvious.

 

I think my age, with the odd exception, are the last generation to really care. So, what will happen to us when we are that age? And worse, our kids. I do wonder if there will be any old people’s homes left too by the time we are older. Our Son says no way we are going in a home… Hub says he will be there in a flash. Me, not on your Nelly. Why? At the moment, we just can’t get them right. If I win so much money, after I have given money to the elephant charities and trying to find treatments for RP, then my money is to open affordable care for older people. Places where we would want to go if we were of a particular age. Sunny and cheerful places, not Gods waiting rooms. Some places are like going into hospital for the rest of your life. who wants to do that. And even if you can’t participate in some activities, or any, then to see people around you smiling, feeling better, surely makes those people who are mainly spectators, smile and everyone will have more to talk about to each other because their lives are full.

 

The TV program Hub and I are watching is a group of four-year olds are going every day to a so-called old people’s village. One man has not left his room in over a year. A guy lived a couple of doors from him and they had never even met until this program. Now they are talking and are becoming friends. The man who hadn’t been out, had fitted a camera so he could see who was coming and going from his building. How sad is that? These children are doing activities with the elderly people and to see the relationships developing is so lovely, what worries me is how those elderly people will be when the TV cameras are gone along with the children. The children are learning old fashioned manners. And patience. It’s a heart-warming program to which I find myself crying buckets in fact seriously sobbing, Hub asks do I want the TV turned off, I say no, because I know there will be a happy moment coming up. I just don’t understand why these lovely people are not seeing their families? They look to be good people.

 

Hub due back late tonight. About 10 pm unless he gets an earlier train. And tomorrow he’s off again.

And guess what he’s getting for his supper?

Pasta.

If you read yesterdays blog, that will make sense to you.

 

In our news, you will never believe what is being auctioned? Oh, my, I have heard of everything now. Professor Stephen Hawking’s wheelchair.

In the UK, two babies’ spines are to be repaired whilst still in the womb.

Wow, that is amazing.

 

For those who are interested in research for RP, my eye disease, this is such an interesting link to information. Wonderful news just needs it to happen faster, but to me, this is a breakthrough


 

And on that note, I shall go for now.