translate

Wednesday 10 October 2018

DIARY OF THE LAKE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good afternoon Bloggets. It’s 4 ish in the afternoon. This is the first time I have been able to sit and write today. I met with my friend Pip and we had a lovely walk around a large lovely lake. Waggatail worked so well getting there and back. The weather was stunning today. Really warm but just enough cool in the air to be really fresh.

 

The smells of the foliage were really lovely. There’s something about the smells of nature that I love and makes me feel good. Well and a strong desire to write about how much I appreciate life.

 

The geese flew freely and landed on the lake which in my mind is silver with the sun shining on it. The ducks were out bopping along I heard one duck chatting to another duck. They were having a real conversation with each other. Only one duck didn’t sound too well. Luckily my friend explained that one duck, well, wasn’t a duck… but a human in the form of a little boy. About the age of ten. Haha. Bless him, he continued chatting in his way to this one duck. And the cute thing was, this one duck stayed near the child quacking back at the boy. It was as if they were talking communicating, and you know, perhaps they were. May be that little boy was a future nature lover or conservationist or vet!

 

In England we are blessed to have the best most homely series on TV called The Durrell’s. Have you heard of Jerry Durrelle?  He wrote the autobiographical Corfu Trilogy, that has now been adapt by ITV. Jerald was home schooled when he arrived in Greece. He first lived in India with his two brothers, sister and parents. His father died and his Mother moved the family to Corfu. Jerry showed a huge interest in animals and started to collect them to his Mothers horror. She had little money and couldn’t hardly afford to feed her children let alone animals. He wasn’t at all interested in education other than anything to do with wildlife. The boy found a friend and mentor in a young Greek Doctor, Scientist, poet and philosopher   

 

The series is so simple and really does transport the viewers to a world where life was so much kinder than it can be now days. But then world war II began and Jerry’s Mother brought most of her kids back to England. In real life Jerry worked in an aquarium ending up full time with all kinds of animals also becoming an author, hence his life story to which I personally love on a Sunday night. It’s the calm before the storm of the week ahead. It’s funny quirky and just far from modern matters!

 

Well who knows, may be the duck boy will be the modern-day Jerry he just wasn’t at all bothered even when my friend suggested that the duck was answering back at him, he continued talking to the duck… but it was really funny, it was as if the duck knew exactly what the boy was saying…

 

There were some gardens that came from houses and met the park. I said it would be so lovely to live there. Peaceful. Though at night time, it could be a bit spooky.

 

There were a few dog walkers and lots of Mums with their children in pushchairs. One little boy was singing along being pushed by his Mum. What a world he was in. I knew he was a boy but confirmed it with my friend. I could just tell by his voice and just how happy he was. Most times, boys are so much happier than girls of that age. He was so happy to sit in his chair and sing.

 

Waggatail worked so well even around the lake, I wasn’t sure she would. Of course, we got lost. I wasn’t aware that there were so many cut offs but I had to find the cut off that would bring us out on the right road, otherwise Waggs wouldn’t remember which way she should go if I walk there one day just me and her. And, coming out on one of the other paths, would take us away from our house. Now I’m sure that we would find our way to our house, but why make it more difficult by going down a road and having to find a place than knowing exactly where you were going. Well, almost knowing.

 

After about an hour and a quarter, we found the right path. And walked home.

 

I couldn’t believe the trees that are hanging so low. Some had berries, some leaves and some old blooms that were really ready to fall. How did I know? Because I felt them s they wacked me in the face… Waggatail should have walked me around then or stopped, but she hasn’t yet, so why start now? smile.

 

The Little Fella would avoid overhanging trees. But my Wagging one? Naah!

 

We got home and I suggested that we went to the local restaurant for lunch. It took my friend point two of a second to decide that was possibly the best idea I had had that whole hour… so, put my Waggs in her dog run as she was such a good girl on harness and didn’t do her doggy doodles. Turned around on my heal and back out.

 

Wagga once again worked really well. She stopped and I didn’t know why? I put my hand out but there was nothing there. I asked my friend she said they are fixing the lights in the street, so there are posts keeping the public off the path. So, we had to go off kerb and after walking along the road for a short time, back on the path back on the track.

 

When I say road, only the road along the side of our avenue of all sorts. Not that nasty horrid road to hell. We walked along side of that to get to where we wanted to be… that path was the busiest I have ever seen it. And I think we passed three people. Normally you never see anyone along there. But the weather was lovely, so everyone and their Granny was out today.

 

We had a most enjoyable meal my friendly waiter wasn’t there just has he hasn’t been there for the past four times we have been there. So, where is he? He’s worked there six days per week. All day and night. When I went to pay I asked the lovely Maggie. She replied. “Oh.

He’s not at work.”” I thought I know that love, that is what I just said… she continued. “He is just at home right now for a while…””

Very mysterious. He’s been there for the past six years. He speaks very little English and I doubt would get a job at another place, unless of course it’s another Chinese restaurant. He’s a sweet guy, I really hope he’s OK. As Maggie was very odd when asked. It was rather funny. My friend asked what the large painting said on the wall. haha. Well, Maggie is Chinese. The painting is large Chinese characters. Again, she was rather confused, not knowing what to say… She said she will have to find out and let us know. Gosh. She’s a clever lady. She does the books for the restaurant. An yet she can’t read Chinese?

 

It was a pleasant afternoon. We chatted, laughed and Waggs was wonderful. Because my friend walked just behind me, I wonder if somehow, she thought she was being checked by Guide Dog staff? My friend said she kept looking behind her towards my friend. Because her work was spot on. Meaning really good. And our dogs always know when they are being tested. My last dog was exceptional when she was being observed.

 

It was lovely to see my friend and I hope she enjoyed her day as much as I did. My face actually feels sunburned. It’s so nice out there.

 

Now I have to think, what on earth will id do for dinner tonight? Gosh, I really can’t be bothered to cook. I wish I could have a night off working. But hey ho, I need to get motivated as Hub has worked so very hard all day from seven this morning and not sure what time he will be home. I guess half six.

 

My Son text me. Today he’s going along the country roads in a buggy. Oh, please God let him be safe and please let him drive, as last year Shamrock drove and ended up in a ditch. They had to get people to pull them out… Yesterday they went to a market. They have been swimming in the sea and pool daily and they are going to a private island for a night. I learned yesterday they were sleeping under a roof and not the stars as first thought, smile… and then they are going to a cigar factory. Not sure why as they went to one of those places last year. I kind of wish they weren’t going. Sham likes smoking them I hope my Son won’t. Sham wanted to bring Hub one home but BW said no way, he won’t touch them and thankfully he won’t. he wouldn’t do that to his voice… what ever that is. Not sure one would change his voice, but Hub used to be a voice coach and he said he knows what they do to your voice. I just worry it would tempt BW to start to smoke. Gosh I would be so disgusted if he did that. I don’t think he would as he is very keen to be as fit as possible.

 

His food doesn’t sound very good bless him. He’s eating rice and vegetables for every meal but breakfast and for that as I said yesterday, cereal and jam…. he can’t or won’t have milk. Gosh that must be so dry. So, he still is a vegan. I did wonder if this holiday would send him back to being a vegetarian. Strong minded. I’m so proud of him. There’s not a chance I could be a vegan. Vegetarian with no problem. Not vegan.

 

In our news, our court back ed a baker who refused to bake a what they are calling a gay marriage cake. The bakers are Christians and don’t believe in same sex marriage

In Majorca, a dreadful flood has killed ten people two Brits who were on holiday.

Hurricane Michael to hit Florida. Wow our weather around the globe is crazy never have I known it be so bad all over the world at the same time. Within this year we have seen so many countries, some like the UK with our horrendous winter then our record-breaking summer, but to have floods hurricanes and more where by people have died, it’s just awful almost spooky.

 

Well I thought I have heard of everything, but in the UK Leeds, homes are being invaded by wait for it?

STD, carrying ladybirds. Oh. Right. My first thoughts were how does anyone know they have STD’s? and then I realised I didn’t really want to hear the answer. And then how will it affect humans? And again, I didn’t want to know the answer.

Good news in health. Under 25’s, are turning alcohol down. Hmm. Great, but what are they choosing instead? Drugs? Certainly not fruit and the gym I bet.

And on that note, my Husband is home from work. It took him 1 hour and 46 minutes to get to work today. Should have taken him no more than one hour. But he got back in good time. So, he’s just told me that his guide dog threw up a carrot in the office today. Haha. Oops… well I gave him his fave veg last night. Didn’t expect he would recycle it. Today. Best dash and pretending I have been cooking all day. What the heckers can I make in a hurry? He’s caught me out. He’s earlier than I thought. Just after five. Mind you, he left at seven this morning, so still a long day. I will run him a bath, tell him to relax and Wizz something up in the kitchen. Until later, take care of yourself and never feel alone.

  

No comments: