translate

Monday 29 October 2018

DIARY OF GET WELL SOON AND BIRTHDAY BALLOONS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good day Bloggets. It’s 4 p.m. and this is the first time I have had chance to come to my lap top. I have written seven Christmas poems for people today. Before that I made some leek and potato soup. I tried a small dish of it and to be honest, I’m really disappointed, so much so, not sure I will give it to the family. Regretfully I used vegan / dairy free butter to soften the leeks. Hmm. I do believe that is what has spoiled it. I have made that kind of soup so many times and it’s always delicious. Today it’s awful in my opinion. The last soup I made was the best I have ever done it was carrot and coriander and I used an alternative to dairy cream and wow, it was amazing. But the butter? No… not keen at all. I have tried some on a small bit of toast and it was horrid but I thought it would be an alternative to dairy butter to fry with.

 Wrong.

 

I made Boy Wonder a funny dish yesterday, it started off where it was going to be vegan chilli. Then I realised that the chilli sauce I had in the fridge, in a jar, was vegetarian, not vegan. Oh. Now what? I had all the ingredients ready.

 

Well I’m not quite sure what I would have called it as I have never cooked such a meal and I certainly have never tasted anything like it. But it was truly delicious. Don’t even ask what went in it… but it ended up quite sweet almost with a Thai flavour. I used loads of mushrooms grated, red pepper grated. Onions the same and vegan mince. I have to say that is disgusting unless it’s in something. I made a sauce with vegan cream tomatoes garlic and so many herbs. What kind of herbs? Your guess is as good as mine. I would love to be an organised blind person who has all their herbs labelled. But I’m not. I could use my Pen friend. But it’s just too much hassle. I would have to know what they were firstly, so use my iPhone to open the app seeing i.a. then wait until it read loads of numbers out codes and ingredients and then if that fails to help or tell me what the jar read, open another app Tap Tap See. Then talk into my special pen and stick it on the jar. Making sure I used those same jars for the same herbs. I do have glass jars which are meant to be for herbs… em, they look good on my work tops. Haha. So, I just open my cupboard where I store the herbs and do the sniff, chuck and hope technique.

 

Thank you to Dear Tracey for letting me know where to look for vegan cheese.

So according to the vegan society, here are the best cheeses

Vegusto  no-moo mild aromatic

 cheezly white cheddar style

follow your heart mozzarella shred. And you can get mayonnaise and salad dressing in the same make.

Sheese melty smoked cheddar

The link to these cheses and more are here.


  

I have filled my dishwasher. Cleaned all the work tops down in my kitchen. Washed the dog dish out and washed the floors. Put in a load of washing and cleaned the floors upstairs. I have also taken my gas hob to bits to clean. Putting it back together?

Oh

Heck

Well it is, kind of. It’s a huge gas hob so wide I love it, but this means more to clean but moreover, more to take off and putting it back together should be a test for all engineers.

 

My Son has a day off work today and has took Waggatail to the forest. She will be exhausted. He has walked for over two hours. After washing my floors, I’m hoping she’s clean. He did promise not to let her off her leash. I felt so sorry seeing him go there alone. I wish he had friends who were interested in moving further than bar to bar.

 

Hub and I had a fantastic weekend. Yesterday was so special. But sadly, he is in agony today and was all night. He didn’t have one per cent of sleep during the night. He has a dreadful condition called Trigeminal Neuralgia. I think I have spelled that correctly. Don’t ask me to say it. He normally gets it when he is stressed, but he isn’t though I’m sure deep down he has thoughts of concern as his workload has quadrupled. He’s away every week now overnight too and I know he hates that. But I kind of like him doing something different and I think he will be going for a curry or something with his colleagues at night, but I know he doesn’t like being away from home, I guess once again back to boarding school days. They never leave us. We miss each other too, but maybe we will win the lotto this week. Hmm. And there goes a pink pig flying past my porch.

   

Today in the UK is budget day. Where our Government decide where our money goes and where theirs end up. It looks a really good one. Wine is going up in price as are smokes. Money given to the NHS and schools. So now the NHS are getting money, put people in charge who know what they are doing with it….

 

Our Son is going to Ireland in a few days. Oh, another few days when I wish they were over. A load of awful drinking will be involved. I hate that. And sadly he will just go with the flow and join in.

 

He’s getting a bus to the train station, then getting a train to near where Shamrock works, then she is driving them both to the airport. I wish I could be like any other parent and drive him there. The other day it was hailstoning and he went to work. My heart broke. I really wanted to say get in my car and I will drive you and drop you off. But obviously that couldn’t happen so he drove parked up and did his fifteen minute walk to wrok and same back at ten in the evening. Everyone who I tell the route he does say it’s a bad place to be walking in the dark. Great. I really wish he was out of there now especially after the other night when he had bother with drunks again. Thankfully he handles them really well. But one day, he may not be so lucky.

 

He and I were talking yesterday about chemicals in the brain, as you do… he is so clever I just don’t understand where he learns about such subjects. He watches so many documentaries I guess it’s from there.

 

He has a meeting tomorrow with his boss. Something to do with change overs and paperwork she wants him to do before he leaves for his break. She has been so nice to him of late. I think the holiday he took  made her realise how much he does.

 

OK, must dash now there is an ironing board with my name on. I have to get Hubs shirts ready to pack. He’s away tomorrow and the day after. Take care of yourself and thank you Jack for answering my email. Get well soon please George. You are needed. Di’s Dad, hurry out of hospital. All the best to Keith’s Mum and Dave’s Dad. So many people are not well this week. Sending love and finally Janis thinking of you today, it’s a tough ask for you. Happy birthday to Sergei and Granny Rich.