translate

Thursday 27 July 2017

LAST NIGHT EATING WITH THE ELEPHANTS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Well, last night, I spent two hours making what I hoped would be a delicious meal for the family only to learn that my Son didn’t want it and my Husband was going to be late from work not that he told me until almost six in the evening.  He told me when he was still in transit. We normally eat at quarter to six so when I phoned Hubs mobile, to learn he would be another forty minutes, to say I felt let down is an understatement.  

 

I cooked the family tender chicken breasts marinated in herbs and boiled new potatoes added herbs to them and butter after draining them and put them in the the vegetables I spent ages shredding chopping and cutting loads of different kinds of those things that are so good for us. Smile. Green cabbage, carrots, peppers, onions, garlic, green beans, baby sweetcorn, mushrooms, peas and lots of kinds of beans that of course didn’t need chopping. Frying them in nut oil adding salt and dried herbs, then adding fresh single cream and a sashay of Moroccan powder which made a lovely thick paste then I poured that into a large oven dish and washed the pan, the smell was amazing. Then I poured a little oil into the pan and peeled and sliced courgettes adding cumin powder put that on the top of the prepared dish and put it in the hot oven turned off just to keep warm. Hmm. For two hours? Well we had dinner, but sadly not all together like I try to arrange as I feel it’s so important, but I’m failing that battle these days. Anyway, Boy Wonder and Hub though eating at different times loved the food so much Hub asked if there was any left overs. There was.

 

My friend came around today with homemade cheese scones. She by far is the best baker in the world. Gosh if I had her talent in baking, I would be the size of two houses, rather than one!

 

Last night it rained and for the first time I was really scared. Why? If you had heard the rain pounding against our windows? England now is getting dangerous floods every year. At one time, we never had extreme weather more than once every ten years or so, now every year sometimes more than once a year. All seasons too. It didn’t help that Hub and I had been talking about how we believe in a few years to come, we will be like the rest of the world with our killer weather. Every country I feel would be perfect to live, sadly there is scary weather. England used to be so safe like that. We had, four seasons end of. Now, we have two seasons and with those months, comes really bad weather.

 

The sound was really hard. Like golf balls being thrown against our glass at industrial speeds. As if a machine gun was firing huge drops of water but what came with it, was the strongest winds as if monsters were trying to get into our house. Thankfully BW was at Shams so he wasn’t driving anywhere and by the time he came home, it had stopped. But in Cornwell a couple of weeks ago, it didn’t stop after a short while and people escaped upstairs in their houses only to have to be rescued from their roofs. I can’t see myself on our roof… I struggle putting the Christmas lights up on four steps in early December.

 

I doubt there will be any blossom left on trees or petals on plants. And after that wet weather, I’m not going to clean the dog run today, that’s for sure. One word.

Soup.

BW is doing his race on Saturday and more rain is expected.

 

 Love to the beautiful South of France and the sad forest fires they are having.

 

Making an easy dinner tonight. Pasta. Sausage pasta for the family. They can take it or leave it. Smile.

 

My dear friend has just been on the phone from where I used to live in Northumberland. I love her to bits. We spoke for ages with a fifteen minute break then another call. My phone is not well. So, she could only hear me from time to time but the amount I talk, I doubt she missed much conversation. Between us, there are no gaps.

 

I have just started a new contract with my phone but I can’t get a new phone for three months. Why? Not sure that is what I was told. I can’t afford a new phone just yet so I guess that will be my Christmas present.

 

OK, going to dust the shelves I have my elephants on. That is a very slow job. I have to be so methodical. I have so many in the thirties and I have small bears too on the shelves above them. Tomorrow I will tackle the other side of my room with angels, Pegasus’s and fairies on. I’m shattered just by doing a small job like these shelves. I have to concentrate so hard remembering where every single little ornament is. Lifting them up putting them back after dusting and making sure they are in a line with exactly the same gap in between. Yep, I’m anal when it comes to things like that.

 

I have floors to steam clean as well. Hub working from home tomorrow so I won’t get anything downstairs done. He works in the living room rather than the office, not sure why as it’s free of our glassware now. Our new glass unit is still up and doing well. Full of crystal. My house is for sure not blind friendly. But at least now my kitchen has machines that really help. I put washing in today too so all that will need ironing, may do that tomorrow whilst Hub works.

 

On that exciting note, I shall leave you with some words from Erma. Smile.

The only reason I would take up jogging is so I can hear heavy breathing again. Hahahaha.

My second favourite household chore is ironing. My first is hitting my head on the top bunk bed, until I faint.

 

 

 

 

   

No comments: