translate

Thursday 20 July 2017

DIARY OF GOOD FOOD BY FIONA CUMMINGS


 Good afternoon Bloggets. Gosh it’s boiling hot here today. I have not long been in. I went to my favourite tea room with my lovely friend and we had a fantastic afternoon. We get on so well. She’s a great friend for sure.  She is the friend my Son says is like a footballer’s wife. She is tall, slim, beautiful and wears designer clothing in a classy kind of way. She passes my Son at work and he says she is with her friends each time he see’s her and all of them are glamorous. So, one feels compelled to try my best when I do go out, which is a good thing as I don’t normally try too hard now days I’m more practical than I have ever been, so it’s nice once in a while to try at least. So, what colours, oh, no, well you would laugh. I put on a long skirt I know it’s navy blue, but just to clarify I asked the ap on my iPhone. It read, black, that I can deal with, OK, it’s wrong as I do know it’s navy, but what it said afterwards?

Curtain.

Well, could have been worse, could have said tent!

 

My top I thought was red, I guessed right, as the ap agreed, but when my friend came, she always says the sweetest thing and she said I looked lovely I asked her to confirm the colour of my top, she said cerice. I asked her was she sure, was it not red? She said no, it’s definitely cerice. Hmm. Out came the hair clip my Son bought me in Japan, as it is red, so my hair now looking em, relaxed. Then my earrings came out, red, as for my hand bag and shoes, well great, as they are navy so matched the skirt.

 

My friend and I chat from the doorstep to the location. We travelled quite a few miles to the place I love. As we were driving along, she realised she had missed her turn. So, she went a different way, she joked with me and said she was taking me the scenic way. We laughed and I told her I loved the view from the window.

 

It’s in a beautiful village. Typical English village. Cottages scattered with roses climbing up and around the doors. A beautiful clock and quaint chocolate box pubs, outside most eateries, there is a dog bowl for water. Oh, it’s beautiful. We sat in the garden and really enjoyed ourselves and though it started to rain, the owner put an umbrella over us and not long afterwards, it stopped so the beautiful weather we have been experiencing could continue.

 

Oh, we laughed so hard our stomachs hurt. We are from the same part of the country and there is nothing like the sense of humour of Geordies. We laugh so our insides hurt but in a nice kind of pain

 

Two pots of tea for me, two coffees for my friend savouries and cakes later, it was sadly time to come home. It will be at least six weeks before I see her again though she only lives five minutes’ drive away. Her life is so busy. She is off on holiday to a Greek island in a few days. She is home a week then off to Italy for two weeks. Then she has loads of cricket matches to attended for her youngest Son.

 

It sounds like our local school are playing cricket now outside. I love the sound of that in the summer. And in our avenue of all sorts, the neighbours have started to play croquet on the lawn. This summer has been so beautiful the best I can ever remember in our part of the country that is, as for the North East where I come from, they have had it cooler and lots of rain in comparison to us. In Cornwell, they have had dangerous floods people have had to be rescued from their rooftops. Such a little country but such diversity when it comes to weather.

 

Today has been lovely, but tinged with sadness. It’s the anniversary of my Dad. 19 years ago, today my Darling Dad left this world for another, I hope. And I hope it is a fantastic life and land he has found.

 

I can’t believe it’s been so long. Gosh, I miss him so much. It doesn’t get easier, or less painful, it just changes, that’s the only way I can describe what I feel. Still, there isn’t a day when I don’t think of him. He would have loved my Hub and my Hub would have loved my Dad.

 

Waiting for my shopping now to be delivered. Then the painful task of putting it away. Gosh I don’t like that job. I try to stick to fresh items they are normally easier to identify.

 

In our news, today it says that we are going to have to work until we are 68. The retiring age was 60 or 65. They say we are living longer so should work longer. They say soon we will be living until we are well over 100. Imagine working at 99?

 

This blog should have been posted yesterday, but like today I have been so busy, so here it is at last. Before I go, browsing through the shopping on line today, I got thinking about trying new recipe’s. Then I went to the BBC good food guide. How do these dishes sound?

 

Braise butter beans or 'gigantes' with tomatoes, onion and garlic and serve with tender lamb fillet and crumbled feta cheese

Or

Pack salty Greek cheese into jars with olive oil, thyme, tomatoes, artichokes and olives - mop up the goodness with bread

Yum. I love Greek food, though of course being a vegetarian, it’s not lamb I would eat.  Will find time to write more tomorrow I promise, right now, I have meatballs to prepare for dinner and running late with work today. Xx

 

 

 

 

No comments: