translate

Tuesday 4 July 2017

BLIND LOVE v SIGHTED BY FIONA CUMMINGS

My blog today, falling in love. We have all done it, haven’t we? Some of us may think we are in love, but will learn that actually, we are not and only when we get hurt do we realise that the person we thought was in love with us, was never.

Watching our kids falling in love is the most painful. Especially when the person they are in love with, is so bad for them. Especially when marriage is spoken about. A freak out what to do, how to put the breaks on? To some it’s obvious that the other person isn’t in love with the person who thinks differently.

As a sighted person, how do we fall in love? Well I did when I had sight. For me it was very sighted. I looked across a room after being told a young man was watching me. Oh my. Yes, very visual. As I looked at this vision in front of me, never had I seen nor would I see such a stunning sight. Gosh, who was that person? What was he doing to me? My insides burst. I exploded in front of him. Goodness knows what my facial expressions were doing. My knees shook, was I dying? Had I died and gone to heaven, was this an angel before me? So, handsome. Tall, and in fact perfect.

We dated, I floated. We were totally in love. His eyes, oh, wow, they were like pools. Pools full of life, future. His smile, the way he walked. His clothes, after all of the visual stuff going on, he smelled really good too. So, a question, what is it like if you are blind, how do you fall in love?

When I met up with my now Husband, after 28 years of being apart, I was in love with him. Last time I saw him, I was 12, as was he. We were childhood sweethearts. So, had I ever stopped loving him? No, but this was different. This was grown up. I have written before how I fell in love with my Husband as a child, he wasn’t just a boyfriend from school, he was my soul mate. So, it was different for me the second meeting. Though now he was being, an adult. So much obviously has changed. But now I fell in love with the memory of us… The future of what we have together. Our lives wouldn’t be as complete without each other in it.

He has never been able to see. Born blind. So, how does he fall in love?

His answer. Firstly, I have to like the voice. Then what words come out of that mouth. Then she has to smell sweet. Then the touch, the hair. He loved me because of what we had, but he said if he was reunited with me after all these years and I sounded like a knife scraping along a rough road, and smelled of smoke then spoke with a fork tongue, he wouldn’t even have got to the stage where he felt my hair. Haha. So, from a blind person’s perspective, it’s kind of like you skip a stage, as I am sure for those sighted, it’s the looks then the other things I have described above?

A blind person see’s what is in the heart and mind. Whereas it may take a sighted person a while to find that.

But we all have butterflies. We all fall in love. If you are blind it would be interesting to see what you think? If you have sight, then please join in. x

No comments: