translate

Tuesday 4 July 2017

HAND WRITING AND BLIND DREAMS BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Happy Independence Day to all of our American Bloggets. Good afternoon to you all. Today is calm but dull. Our alarm went off at half four this morning. Hub and his faithful guide dog The Little Fella, left for work at twenty past five. They will be home at eight tonight. A long day. Three hours plus on the train each way!

My Son had a later start at eleven, so he made his breakfast and rushed out. He will be late in as well! One hour after Hub. So, no hurry to make dinner and I may make a difference on that ironing pile, which is ridiculously heigh.

My lovely special Blogget from South Africa reminded me in an email about a dish my Mum used to make, as she, our Blogget makes it too. She calls it chicken king, my Mum used to call it Chicken Eileen. She used to make all sorts and just add her name on the end, bless her. I so miss her cooking, though she didn’t quite get vegetarians.

When I first told her I was a vegetarian, as an adult that is, as when I tried when I was a teenager, I failed because my Mum went crazy. The thought of it sent her mad. Almost scared. My Mum always had a pantry full of food. The fridge was bulging. Her food tasted so good though basic. She could be in a room with nine other people all making the same dish, but hers would be the best. Full of flavour.

So, for my Mum not to know what to cook, would have sent her into a bit of a moment. In those days, and I’m not that old…. Stop it, there was no vegetarian food in the shops. Vegetarians ate, well, vegetables.

When I was an adult and told my Mum I was a vegetarian, I was married by then, she used to cook me chicken dishes thinking chicken was Okay for Vegetarians. Haha.

Gosh I have been busy today. Answering so many people with great questions about sight loss or in some cases, those who have never had sight. The question about us dreaming came up again. This totally fascinates people. In short, we all dream, partially sighted or completely blind. Those like my Husband who have never seen, don’t obviously see in their dreams. Their dreams are like real life. They hear, touch and smell. For me, I see as I did when I was partially sighted but my dreams sadly are fading. Both Hub and myself can drive. In our dreams… It’s weird. When I dream of driving, it’s as if I am watching someone else. I see myself in the driving seat. I don’t see out of the windows. I guess this is because I have never been able to see out of moving car windows. And the funny thing is, I am always driving when it’s dark. And, every time I dream about driving, I am always terrified. I panic as I realise I don’t know where the indicators are. Every dream is like that.

Another subject that came up today in a writers group. Punctuation. I have noticed for the past year; my American friends finish their sentences with a comma. Rather than a full stop. Now it’s sadly passing on to us in England as I have noticed that some English people are copying. Why? It’s the end of a conversation, so end with a full stop. A comma is when you take a breath and are going to continue with whatever you were talking about.

Someone said today. They can’t remember the last time they did any hand writing. Gosh, that was such a great observation. Wow, I am kind of in shock as it’s so important and really bad I have not thought about this until that lovely person spoke of it.

So, come on, when did you last do any hand writing other than your signature? Even greetings cards now days you can go on your lap top and order a card. They can send it for you so not even a need to put on a stamp. Do you think you will be able to do any form of hand writing for more than ten words? How is your hand writing now in comparison to five years ago?

Well, on that note, I best dash as I have more work to do on line and phone calls. Life is tough at the moment and with Hub working, I have it all to do and lots of let’s say, discussions on the phone to prats. Prats who shouldn’t be employed.

Just before I go, if you need anything to write down to practice your hand writing, here goes, for my friends and Bloggets who can’t see, these words are nice.
Embrace every circumstance, own every fault, share every joy, contemplate every mystery, walk in everyone’s shoes, heal everyone’s heart, adore all Gods, preserve everyone’s dignity and speak humbly of yourself speak candidly so that you cannot be misunderstood and let every syllable treat those who need help.
Neale Donald Walch




No comments: