translate

Wednesday 5 July 2017

DIARY OF VALUES BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Gosh, what would our ancestors have thought of our lives today? Imagine if you lived over 100 years ago? Communications? All the cars on the roads and as for those awful drones that we have not learned yet, can do so much damage in our, future.

My friend is reading my blogs in South Africa, she emails me each week. Email? Blogs even, in fact, how on earth can a blind person put words onto a screen? Another lovely friend and Blogget, is visiting the UK from America. She was in Scotland today and she told me she was shocked to see, wait for it, as it also surprised me and not in a good way, female bagpipers!

I drive my Sons girlfriend crazy as she is a raging feminist and I am quite the opposite. So, she would say and what is wrong with that? Well, if it was the normal to see female bag pipe players, then I would say fine, if that is what they want to do. But I am a traditionalist. To me it’s a very old establishment, to see a male piper. If you want a different explanation, what if suddenly we depicted Jesus as a Chinese lady? Or a Police woman wearing a uniform that was totally unrecognisable. Perhaps Father Christmas suddenly becomes a child?

History is in our past, some of it is bad and should be forgotten about, but good traditions, that mean something I believe if forgotten will affect family values.

Another lovely gent asked me the other day about cucumber sandwiches. As you do. And I am glad he reminded me as I love them. Again, an English tradition that will die out. A typical English country scene is pictured a village green with people playing cricket and in a corner on the field are the wives with tables with white cloths and on those tables, are platters of such sandwiches. Simple, white crustless bread with very thin cucumber cut into triangles. At the other end, they may have smoked salmon, and strawberries and cream. Of course, the sun is shining…

Kids now days would turn their noses up at a cucumber sandwich, it’s more like one of those dreadful wraps with roots and shoots in them.

I have memories of sitting at my Mums tea table eating such delicate sandwiches. Conversations would take place. Again, something families just don’t do now. I got to this year with my Son and now because of his job and relationship with his girlfriend, he just doesn’t have time to eat at home unless it’s later in the evening well past dinner time or like last night, I couldn’t believe it, just so he was ready on time for his girlfriend, he actually ate standing up, in the kitchen. A big dinner too. Tonight, he is eating at her house, no doubt a take away Pizza. Her diet is awful. And sadly, he is copying. God help their kids if, they stay together.

Our Son and Shamrock watched a drama last night. Before heading off. If you have not watched it, or if you can get it on some kind of catch up channel, oh my, it’s a brilliant English drama. Every week there is a different storyline. The main character is a Priest. It’s all about his life, and each week a little more comes out about his disturbing past. All the people his community congregation whatever you call them, I’m not in touch with my Catholic terminology, come to confession and it’s all about their personal lives. But the most fantastic acting and the writer of the drama, Jimmy Mcgovern who in my opinion hasn’t done a bad bit of writing ever, and the most wonderful actor who plays the Priest, Sean Bean, well, what can I say about him? Again, good old tradition. I hope you can find the drama on BBC i player.
I promise you will not be disappointed especially if you are fortunate to receive audio description? Hopefully with it been on BBC, you will get the same service as we did. A review online says this
Father Michael, a Catholic priest presiding over a Northern urban parish who is Modern, maverick, and reassuringly flawed; must be confidante, counsellor and confessor to a congregation.
It’s wonderful. Even the kids 18 and 20 loved it.

Right, now in the middle of phone calls. Seven today already, about different things, well five different two the same discussion. I booked train tickets to see our friends, just phoning up to confirm today, learn no such train exists. Well I read the email from them to her, and, she insists there are no trains. Well, she is going in a meeting and will call me back at two today. I may just try to call them back and hope to get to speak with someone else.

Nothing is easy, I really need to dust and clean the floors as well as do some washing, but today I have been on the phone to so many companies who just can’t get their act together. I don’t know what is wrong with the world. And how easy people lie too? We are all turning into machines without a heart or a care in the world, no morels or scruples. So, on I go, I shall try again with the train company. Will let you know of my news otherwise our tickets are obsolete. Later with love.









No comments: