translate

Monday 29 May 2017

THE KITCHEN DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good morning Bloggets. A quick update on how our kitchen is doing. Today is Bank Holiday in the UK even so, our joiner and painter are coming. Another weekend of Hub and me working, trying to clear and clean the conservatory. Gosh it was filthy with all the dust and grit the dust was so thick you could almost pick it up with your hands. The heat was unbearable too. 28°, so in our conservatory where it’s all glass, you can imagine.

We pulled up the plastic from the floor in the kitchen as it was dangerous as it was starting to come up, Hub and I kept getting our foot under it. It was put down to protect our new floor. Hopefully our joiner will put new down today as obviously, our kitchen isn’t finished yet.

The guys came out last Thursday to measure the work tops for quartz surfaces. They were OK and thankfully they didn’t say anything was wrong. I was dreading them coming as if we got anything wrong for them, they charged a fortune to come out again. What I have learned from this project, well two of many things, firstly, when buying a kitchen from the company we bought from, they say you have to check everything out to see if it’s all there and perfect condition within 24 hours, or they won’t play. This is ridiculous, as put it this way our joiner and his pal came on Friday to take away the carboard boxes from our kitchen, and to give you a rough idea on how many there were, they filled the trailer and a big van then came back and did the same again. So how are you meant to remove everything from your boxes and check it out in that time? Then if you are taking things out of their boxes, isn’t that going to make it more possible to damage the units?

Secondly, if you are considering a new kitchen think about the work tops. Marble marks easily and you have to be so very careful with it also you are recommended to get them treat every six months. Just to keep them nice. You can only wash them with washing up liquid or a special cleaner too. Whereas quartz, you get the same affect but don’t have to get it treat, don’t have to use a special product though they do say try to use dish soap only and it doesn’t mark like marble. But, quartz, we were told by our kitchen designer that it would take from the measuring date no more than seven days. Hmm. Then weeks later, we learn actually, it’s between seven and 12 working, days. So not even just days, but working. We received an email before the guys came out to say 7 to 10 working days but when they came out, 10, became 12.

So, next Monday is D, day for us. The work tops will be put in, thank God. And I hope our plumber will come on the same day and give us a sink.

Hub cleaned all the units out at the bottom and me at the top. Poor Hub has done his back in. Not too serious just hurts. The units were full of bits of wood and dust. I cleaned the conservatory windows, that is a lot of glass as our room is huge. I had a casualty of a tortoise I have had since I was eleven. Don’t worry, not a real one, but china. Hub broke a huge wine glass that was massive he hated it. It was the length of my arm I used to put candles in it. I loved it but he hated it and called it tac. Haha. And someone, not us, sadly broke our wall light but didn’t tell us, thankfully they cleaned most of the glass up. Our electrician brought the light in, no bulbs or glass around it. It went in the bin, sad as I liked that it was like two candles in candle sticks. BW went to the local shop for us to buy a new one. I wished I could have gone on my own and chose it, but I left it up to him and what we have is well, Okay. Hub and I tried to put it together on Friday night, impossible. I hate being beat. But things from abroad now days are just not easy to do they make them as complicated as possible and nothing makes sense. Boy Wonder spent ages and he had to use a spanner and undo things I was too afraid to take apart as thought it couldn’t be, so I chickened out and left it to him. Thank God for him. I see him about ten minutes per day, no joke, and about five minutes per week, he is an angel to us.

We are totally exhausted. Just trying to get around the house it’s so messy. There are things in every room. Even our sitting room which is the tidiest out of all rooms, has from the conservatory, a coffee table and four dining chairs as well as the wine rack and the vacuum. Oh, as for our windowsill? What a mess that is. There are two plants from our conservatory and four door handles as well as a couple of small boxes that belong to the kitchen, and a packet of screws. As I said this is the tidiest room.

Our oven is in, working well I love it. It’s such a pleasure to have something that works. Something you don’t need sight for to use. Okay, I left the gas on the other day, but hey ho! We have washing machine, hmm. I’m still on the fence with that. Moor on that later.

I hope we will get the fridge and freezer in action today as well as the dish washer. I hate using just water and soap to clean dishes. We have a make shift sink right now we were given from the kitchen people. What a difference that has made. We still have to boil water in the conservatory. Our old fridge is in there too. I’m kind of seeing the wood for the trees now.

We have a meeting with the window people next week. They are making it very official. Well, bring it on. It’s been a long two months. My body hurts we are covered in bruises I have two big scratches down my arms and the mark on my leg where the nail went in is still prominent, but hey, my kitchen will be lovely….. x




No comments: