translate

Monday 8 May 2017

THE KITCHEN DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good morning Bloggets. It’s just a little after half eight and our lovely joiner is here with his drill and the sounds from my kitchen are of industrial machinery! Hub escaped to work, or did he ever leave work? After this weekend, I don’t think so. He was on emergency duty all last week after 5 p.m. and all weekend 24 hours. As well as again another weekend of emptying the kitchen even more, seriously, I need to decide what I want and what I don’t want when our new kitchen gets fitted.

Today the window man is back to fit the handle he was meant to fit almost three weeks ago. Also, to fit a strip on the new door part and I say, part, of the broken wall they won’t fix. Leaving us to ask our joiner who has took over the mess that we have been left in.

Those of you who have been wondering who knocked at the door on Saturday night just as I was to have a much-needed relaxing bath? After weeks of having quick showers, I decided to take a bath. I hadn’t even put the plug in my bones were aching, joints felt as if bruised. A smile on my face as had a lovely day with our besties when…. My bathroom door was knocked on shouting
Stop the water … ….!!!!!
It’s coming through the new ceiling ….!!!!
NoOoOoO
Ple’ee’eeezz
I ran down stairs and the sounds from my kitchen were just depressing. I really wanted to take a huge hammer to the ceiling right then and hand the house over to the bank and run away. I had enough. No more. Dernier cri.

Mopped up, grabbing the only dish we could find fast, the dog dish, running to the sink to empty and running back to be filled we were helpless. How? Why? Where in the bath was it coming from? Had the builders hammered through a pipe? The reason we apparently needed a new ceiling was because of a flood we had over a year ago. That was because of a full bath. Now? Not even a millimetre was in the bath as it was only running whilst I cleaned it before getting in only because I’m a bit funny with baths. They can be very clean even in a 5star hotel, I have to wash the bath before I get in…. Just call me odd.
I’m used to it.

On examination, we learned the water was pouring through…. Our new lights, well, one of them. I dare not put the light on at this stage. We put the heating on as the pipes are under the bathroom floor. After an hour, I went to try the lights. Hub stood under them to feel the heat. They went hot. Thankfully,
I, didn’t.

I really was expecting a house fire. Water and electrics don’t go hand in hand.

So that is my story so far. I think today I will see a lot of progress. At least I have faith in my joiner friend. We are getting the floor tiles lifted today, whereas before there were only a couple of them lifted at the door. I have sold our dish washer and the people are coming for it tonight and on Wednesday, our washing machine has been sold. So that goes then. My photographical skills must have been OK. Or as I said last time, are people coming to have a look at the fool who took a pic of the back door, whilst thinking aiming at the washing machine?
I don’t mind being an item of interest…

And life goes on. As we sing our song. How will we carry on?
One step forward two steps back. Trials for miles back to back. Take off your shoes, hang up your hat, together we will make our house a home, and no longer will we need to roam.
© Fiona Cummings









No comments: