translate

Monday 22 May 2017

THE KITCHEN DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good day Bloggets. After a week of being very ill, not sure if it’s something I have picked up from someone, or an infection I have got from walking into the wood outside last week, I didn’t know it was there and I think a nail went into my leg, a day after that I was violently sick for three days. Thank goodness Hub took time off work. It could even be just the way we are trying to live right now, I’m trying to clean things as we go and we are not really eating in the house I think we have cooked three times since we started our new kitchen. We have bought so many awful take outs. I don’t know how people live on them like they do. We went to McDonalds last week and honestly, the food was totally disgusting. The French fries were like spelks (splinter) from the wood off our old kitchen. As for my veggie burger? All it was, was some horrid chic peas that I love, but these were the spicy kind and no salad, no sauce it was just awful. I wasn’t feeling good it was the middle of my illness, so that could have something to do with it, along with the fact that I have just learned that the staff in our local MC’s, employ prisoners. I guess it’s a good thing that someone does, but it does make me wonder just who is cooking my food? As for a Pizza, we ate the other night too, oh my word, it was as if someone needed a new sole for their shoes and ordered the wrong size so gave it to us with some tomato slop on it.

So, microwave meals it is for us for the meanwhile. Well I say for us, for the boys. For me? I’m not eating anything but apples from the fridge and crackers freshly opened. We are using disposable cutlery and plates. Yesterday I felt my best so we went to our local farm shop and had Sunday dinner. I ate two Yorkshire Puddings which are the same as pancake mix but put into deep round oven trays and left to rise with the heat of the oven and you have it traditionally with roast beef, roast potatoes and veg. Well I had all but the meat though I got as far as the puddings and one chunk of cauliflower. Then I felt so ill I had to sadly ask the family to hurry and we had to leave.

Last night I went into the conservatory to try to make it a little more liveable. There are things everywhere like on my sofa, I just can’t find anything now. I gave up. There are parts of plugs and tools tins and other things I am like a rabbit in headlights.

Yesterday Hub got really frustrated. On Saturday he went to town, as I said I couldn’t move that day because of whatever has been wrong with me. So, I stayed home. I asked the plumber to call after lunch as we were going out, as I hoped I would be well enough to do so. He came in the morning, luckily, I was in. He made it so I could use my cooker, not oven as no electric yet, but the gas was on. Though, he told me I wouldn’t be able to use the gas the normal way until the electric was on. So how? By striking a match… Em. No…. I asked him to fit the sink when he was here he said he would do that later. My lovely joiner called him when he left without doing the sink, and he told him he would be with us first thing on Sunday morning, we got up early, but no plumber. Today is Monday, and I think he is coming tomorrow, unless he comes this afternoon.

Right now, our joiner is working hard he has been here as ever since half eight. When he was last here, he frightened me by asking if we thought the sides of the units were right? I felt I didn’t like them. Hub looked too, he said he liked them as they had a grain like wood, I said our doors are smoothed gloss it would look odd that the sides were lined? Well, long and short of it, I went in to look after our joiner went home with the young lad that had been helping him, I must say, the lad who is the Son of the plumber, is a good find. On further investigation by a grumpy Fi, I found that the grain lines on the side, giving our units a different texture, was in fact, a film, covering the units to protect them. I pealed it off a little to reveal the same texture as our doors. Few, thank goodness. So, a lot of carefully tearing the film off is in order.

Sadly, we are some doors missing. And one door is damaged. The young lad noticed a tiny mark on our dishwasher door. So that is coming out but again, another story to that.

Hub called the aftercare on Friday, long and short of it is when we ordered, they said they can’t send out until the 30th. So long away? Well we had to call back thank goodness, we did. If I had dealt with the call I would have been able to correct the prat on the other end of the phone, but Hub did and colour shmullour. They were only going to send us the replacement door, in white? Our units are cream. Now thanks to the lady on the other end who noticed it, she told Hub and now all sorted, also it’s coming sooner. So, I wonder where the first person’s head was?

We are getting a kitchen fitted that is known to be top quality, but, sadly there are a lot of reasons I wouldn’t recommend the company. I shall tell you who they are and sum up the reasons good and bad when I have written my last leg of the blog of our kitchen diary. When will that be?

Our floor is down, our joiner has done a great job of that. It’s lovely. It’s laminate but looks like cream tiles. Our walls are kind of painted. Sadly, they need another coat. Grateful to our joiner who told me it needs another coat. I would hate to let our painter go then learn later that the old red showed through but it still is. Even though the painter has painted three coats over it. I kind of hoped that he would paint emulsion over it firstly, but he didn’t so this is why you can still see the red. I just hope another coat will do? Can you imagine if you never get rid of the red? When he was here on Saturday, I did say when you do the conservatory, you must put emulsion on first and he said he would. Bless him, he will be sick of us, as he did the walls but then the electrician came and dug a huge hole in our wall so that had to be filled, plastered and painted again. I hoped the paint work would be done before our units went in but with him having to come back again, it’s not going to be.

The painter is a nice guy, so hopefully he will be OK. It’s not our fault.

Our new cooker looks great, I can’t wait to cook on it. I love it, it looks so very accessible too. Well, apart from the gas. Smile. If I’m careful with that, it will be so good. Oh, I hate cooking, but suddenly I will love it you watch.

Our garden is a mess of cardboard and last night as we put the dogs to bed, thankfully, Hub checked on our LF, and he had a huge chunk of wood in his mouth. Well, he must have got it out of the garden, gosh that was lucky, if Hub had not looked, and how or why he did? I’m not sure, as he never puts them to bed it’s always me, but was so ill last night I couldn’t bend down to them. Well he rescued the wood and put it in the bin. I just want it all away, all in and all clean. I want to have the energy to feel better and be able to scrub my house. There are bags everywhere. Boxes and just things laying around. I hope today our dryer will be fitted and we can at last wash some clothes.

My joiner is going to make us a unit for our Christel. It will be lovely as his woodwork is stunning. Solid, heavy, and rustic. Then we can put away our glasses that are everywhere upstairs. There isn’t a space on the floor in any of the rooms. It’s a good thing our guest room is empty right now. Well of people anyhow.

Someone asked me the other day how far we are on? It’s difficult to say, as we have to wait for the work tops to be measured, then made then fitted. So that will be at least ten days from now, but the most of the work I would say is about 70% done. Excluding the paint work in the kitchen and conservatory. As for how far we are with the house being a home and clean? 1% finished. It’s all making me very down it’s a project I really wish I hadn’t started. A friend of ours said she did her kitchen and it took her a year to do and she can see. She also said never again. If we were putting like for like in, then it would be fine. And of course, if we didn’t have the builders from hell at the start it would also help. The guy who came, the plumber on Saturday, brought a real odd bod with him. I didn’t like him being in my house. I just didn’t trust him. He said to our Son, who did your plastering, I can do it better, I’m a plasterer. Well, very nice, but it’s all done now and it is what it is.

I hope my next update is telling you our kitchen is all fitted. The radiator is in and all units are fitted with doors and electricals in place. We don’t yet know if our fridge is working or freezer, dishwasher, washing machine or dryer, I just pray the man in the sky is not having a joke with us till the end and allows a smoother journey now.

I can’t say it’s been a long month any more as we are now approaching seven weeks, so into month two. I just want to see the wood for the trees now.

No comments: