translate

Tuesday 9 May 2017

SOMETHING I HAVE NOT DONE BEFORE BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good day Bloggets. Well, firstly, the title of this blog? (Something I have never done before) so what is it? Well, not bungee jumping, as that will take one heck of a rope… Something much more boring but if went totally wrong, rather than semi, it could have been exciting in a bad way.

Can you even get bad excitement? Sometimes I think the English language is quite poor at describing words or feelings. Boyfriends in the past who were not English had a way with words that English guys would think was poetry. Well, today as you do, I decided to light my lovely candle. The kind that crackles like a log fire. WoodWick. I have lit them many times, but I have never done this before, and it was quite scary. I have safety matches. Haha, what a laugh. The only thing that is safe about them is they are long. Why are they not safe? Well today I found out, basically, I felt the wick with the same fingers that were holding an unlit match. Just to locate where it was. Then I lit the match with match box in my left hand and match in right.

Now, be careful with safety matches as they don’t make any sound for a second or two. I can strike a match and not light it. How is this possible? You may ask, well, anything is possible with Fifi!!!

So as there is no sound to my match of a flame, I struck it again on the side of the box.
Not a good idea, when un be known to me, the match indeed had lit. also, had the box!
So, what happened next? I heard the delayed flame from my match, then at the same time as I heard the flame I stupidly put my finger on the box, you know, as you do, to see if what I was hearing, a second flame sound was really happening? Well, burnt finger slightly only, that was fine I just wondered, what if? I mean, it may have gone out, but I put it on my wooden windowsill for next time I need to use them. With a burning flame? Could have been a woopsie moment. So, as I’m blowing left and right, the lit match, then the lit box, I’m thinking, that has never happened to me before. I could write a short novel on lighting matches, some funny story’s but today? Not too funny, just be careful out there, or perhaps you are not as daft as me, why didn’t I think before that this could happen? Is the match box really that advanced it only gives fire and doesn’t keep fire? I now know not.

So, sitting here, candle flickering sounds of a log fire and my dog by my feet. Loads of men in my house, haha, well, what else does a girl have to do when she has almost set the house on fire?

Boy Wonder and Shamrock watched TV with us last night, a comedy. No, not Hub and myself, but on the TV. I did wonder how Shamrock would react at the audio description on our box, but she said nothing. To some sighted people the audio description is annoying, it’s surprising how many of my friend’s spouses get annoyed when the voice comes on the TV over there, show. Well, I say to my friends, tough. I get so cross when my friends tell me they don’t watch telly anymore because their partners refuse to have audio turned on. How selfish. How Dare they? We don’t stick up for ourselves enough, the joy Hub and I get out of watching TV is immense. And I have asked our Son before if he gets annoyed by the audio, he answered. “I don’t even notice Mum. I have lived with it so long” Right answer Son, caught him on a kind Son day. Thankfully Shamrock didn’t seem to be bothered either, a good sign in her.

There is so much we miss if we don’t have it and now, programs we refuse to watch because it doesn’t offer it, is thankfully becoming less and less as here in the UK, we are very fortunate to have a lot of programs with audio.

A voice in the background describes what you, the sighted creatures among you, smile, see. So,
“As the orange sunset seems to meet with the bridge over the cobalt sky creating a shadow on the water”” Or
“Tom’s eyes Glisson with glee”” perhaps, “The anger upon Janes face, as she turns away from her Husband.”” We would miss so much. Sometimes programs can be on for over five minutes without words and there are sounds, like traffic, or children running/playing, guns shooting or screams. What is happening? Well, thank goodness for audio. If you are one of these people who tell your blind or partially sighted wife or Husband, Mother, Father or whomever that you can’t stand the audio, think how that is going to or is, making that person feel? They leave the room. They don’t enjoy something they used to love. They avoid family time around the TV. They can go off to do something else, and have a cry, you may smile and say, cry over not being allowed, yes, allowed to watch TV? Well, yes, because it’s much more than not being able to enjoy TV, it’s the fact that someone who is supposed to love them, has just made them feel in the way, more disabled than any stranger could make them feel and it’s a reminder just what they have lost. Vision. How would you like it, if your wife who is blind or has little sight, makes her dinner, leaving you out? Or, tells you to have a nice day on the golf course, but hides your car keys, so you have no transport to get there.

Looking through my emails this is a problem in families all over the world and it’s so easily solved. Something else that makes me upset is those who want to go clothes shopping, well you are taken to the shop, asked what you want, say you say a pair of jeans? You are handed jeans. Two or three pairs. Never mind if you fancy a top to match? In and out. No browsing. You want a birthday card? You are handed one. Again, the choice of your card to someone has been removed by again, someone who either hasn’t thought just how their actions hurt or someone who is plain and simply selfish.

Try turning situations around, wearing your partner’s shoes for once, oh my, talking about that, I have a blog later for you…. Involving shoes and well, other peoples… What happened here last night was rather, interesting. More in next blog.



No comments: