translate

Saturday 13 May 2017

THE KITCHEN DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good day Bloggets. Well in brief our kitchen. The ceiling is in such a mess after the last builders that we are being advised to redo it, but I cannot face another second of it so the painter arrived today and said he will try to sand it down. The walls look as if someone has placed their fingers on it like little waves there are holes in the ceiling and where the electrician cut into the place where he thought it would find the wires for the lights that wouldn’t work after our first new ceiling was put up, has squares cut out of it.

As for my colour, I told you it was called orange ochre. Well, after reading about ochre only, I was horrified to think what on earth was going on my walls. My lovely joiner who still is lovely in fact even more so, he has gone beyond what his job is to help us out. Painted some on the walls and it’s a definite orange. Not as pale as I wanted, but hey ho.

I had a bath last night and thank goodness, no leak. Remember last time, I hadn’t even put the plug in and the water started to come through the lights in the new ceiling, this has left a damp mark again, this house is so cursed.

It’s been a long seven-week project. Drills hammers every day. I feel so dirty though shower each morning and night and my bath last night? Gosh, I fell asleep. Something I don’t do because I’m never chilled enough but I think yesterday was pure exhaustion. It’s a scary feeling when you wake up and realise you have been in a deep sleep and you’re in the bath.

Hub and I have lifted so many heavy things and I’m terrified I have done something to my stomach again. After having a hernia operation that was pretty major as in the surgeon made a huge mistake some years ago, I really don’t want another operation so I have tried to take it easier. Boy Wonder has helped his Dad for the past couple of days he is so strong and doesn’t even go into a sweat when lifting. Washing machines gosh, they are so heavy and we have had to take them from the kitchen, through the long conservatory down steps along the side of the house which is very narrow and into the garage and then tried to sell our stuff as it costs to get rid of it all so I have been taking pictures and even Hub has now started bless him. We have sold everything and had some very interesting characters visit our house.

From a very butch man with the deepest voice, looking like a man according to our little Sham, but wearing floral flip flops talking about having dinner with his Son, the dish washer was for his boyfriend and his girlfriend would be wondering where he was, to a man last night who said “I speak no English.”” His wife/Mother, not sure, spoke more English, and after making sounds and obviously gestures to us, which obviously is no good to us two. As he was about to get into his car. He shouted. “Thanking you. Only for four months.”” Haha, not sure what was for four months, the washing machine? His Mother, or wife? Or were they going to their mother land in four months?

We had a lovely man from the local hospital for the mind. And a lady who travelled fifty minutes’ drive to pick up a blind for the window which she paid 99p for. Hahaha.
My eyes are full of grit and my breathing is dreadful. But I think we are half way there, well, I did until today and now I am wondering.

Today our fridge arrives but it will stay in its box until Next week when our kitchen units arrive. Tomorrow, the freezer comes as well as our cooker, washing machine and dryer. Now, where are all of these going? In our conservatory, how? Not sure. In there already is the sofa, kitchen table, wine cabinet, huge unit and dresser as well as the hostess trolley, floor standing plants and coffee table oh, and a small unit. Add to the the white goods, well, silver, smile, and my word… Life will get even more challenging.

At least now the wood has gone from our back garden, gosh, a couple of days ago, I went to let Waggatail out for a much needed toilet and went slam, right into a load of kitchen cupboards. Then the day before yesterday, Hub went flying over the old sink which was down the side of the house we didn’t know and the same night, I went to the dog run again, and thankfully the wood was all moved from just outside our conservatory door, but, it had been put right in front of the dog run. Where the gate is Oh my that was painful. I don’t know if it was just a sharp bit of wood, or a nail, but something very sharp went through my leg, I have a hole in my leg now. It’s burning and where is the first aid kit? Your guess is as good as mine.

BW isn’t coping well with the situation, he isn’t used to such a mess. Our bank balance isn’t doing good either as we are eating take outs and they are so expensive here. On average, £30. Per meal. I have been trying to make meals but oh my among the mess and no water. For today we are having pasta, well, the family is, I’m not as the pasta has sausage meat in it. How are we cooking it? well, outside in the garden. Let’s hope it doesn’t rain. Even if it does, we are going to have to try to still do it somehow. We have bought a small hob, oh it’s blooming brilliant if I knew about this some time ago, I would be using it with pleasure rather than the awful hob we had that I really couldn’t use, it was a flat ceramic sheet you pushed a part of the flat sheet and hoped. Hub could do it but I couldn’t and we never knew what number it was on. This little thing has two rings and proper old fashioned knobs you turn and they click so not the kind that keep turning. It is a flat tray like thing and the place you put the pans is risen It has rubber feet on the bottom. It’s so neat. It’s not suitable for camping something to do with the electric not being powerful enough for camping, but we have plugs outside and a table, so tonight we will try to do that, and my baked potatoes which I think I will have, can go in the microwave which will also be outside, now, draining the pasta? Oh, that will have to somehow pour through the colander into the drain outside, what we haven’t thought about is, how we are going to balance the colander, whilst pouring boiling water? Oh heck. I’m really stressing only get a new kitchen if you one, know someone who is a great joiner, two, good builder and three a great electrician, our job sadly was more than a new kitchen. We had electrical trouble, big plumbing work and had to put a new sliding set of doors in the first builders were dreadful and even today our painter has had to charge us more money as he is having to try to sand down our ceiling where they made such a mess. He said they haven’t even put the wood on the ceiling up correctly as he is sanding it, it’s moving. He said he was having to be careful as the wood is starting to crack. Good grief.

Our joiner is here now removing the last of the wood. His brother came yesterday to plaster the good walls, I say good walls, the ones the old builder didn’t touch, but there were so many holes to fill in for him bless him. He is the brother of the joiner who is my friend. I so badly wish everyone was as good as our joiner. He told me the other day, if we ever need anything just to ask. Bless him, the state I am in right now, I almost burst into tears. There really are some good people left after all. This house is like a building site. Nothing has gone right. Right, now off to wash the dryer which is getting sold tonight.
Am I a poet, or what? Smile.


No comments: