translate

Monday 15 May 2017

THE KITCHEN DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good morning Bloggets, gosh, I am wearing earphones, no I’m not on a train, or in a busy city sitting in the shopping centre. I’m in fact in my house. A knock at my door this morning at a quarter past eight, our lovely plumbers. Father and Son, they are the sweetest couple of lads. Really the Son is so lovely as is his Dad. This weekend has been one of mixed goings on. In a simple kind of way, no sky diving or journeys veer submarine, but as simple as one can get but incredibly busy.

Right now, the sounds coming from my kitchen is one of a building sight, whilst holes are getting created right through the outside walls, I’m just waiting for the house that Jack built to crumble.

At the weekend, we were up early again, to see our painter, what would he make of the colour? Well, in fact he likes it as does Boy Wonder, it’s not exactly the colour I wanted to achieve, remember I wanted the palest of orange almost white? Well, it’s more apparently like a nectarine. Hmm. What colour is a nectarine? It’s apparently the lightest shade on one. My Son likened it to a peach. Oh my, a peach kitchen? My lovely joiner said it was a definite orange. But not tangerine orange. But the painter who you would think would know, said it was really lovely. Unless he is trying to pacify me. Haha.

Before he painted, he had to fix the damage the awful builders did before the good guys came to town. He said as everyone else has said, it’s a disgrace. Even our sliding doors are dreadful. They are difficult to open and close. They are on totally wrong and the new handle they put on is slack. It’s a real shame as the door itself is one of good quality. It’s the fitters and builders that need all sacking. The salesman was the best and the ladies in the office are wonderful, but the builders that they recommended and window fitters and I had two different ones, are rubbish.

Half an hour now the plumbers have been going constantly drilling a hole. My joiner has arrived and work on our kitchen commences. Today the floor is getting put in. Whoop whoop.

Saturday and Sunday I placed the furniture in the conservatory differently to make room for our white goods which arrived on Saturday and Sunday. Gosh, this weekend we have received our new utilities and sold the old ones. A couple of things left to sell but we are using them right now. My bones are aching and I was in fear the other night as I was sure my hernia had come back or another one I should say, I pray not as my last operation went very wrong and I don’t think I can go for another operation on my stomach it’s been through too much already. So, I have tried to take it easier this weekend with lifting. I said to Hub it will have to be my brain and his brawn. Gosh he is strong. It’s in his genes, his Dad and brothers are big strapping lads, my Hub doesn’t resemble a big strapping lad, but he certainly has their strength and I love how versatile he is, his plumbing skills I have spoken about before and he lately has fixed an electrical problem we had as well as fixed our TV. That on top of lifting and cooking and with his job which requires many skills as well as a good brain, what a man. Smile. But this weekend he didn’t have his strong Fifi of a wifey to help him I had to just navigate. Hold and support as we transported heavy goods from our house along the side of the outside of the house into the garage and even into people’s cars/vans as they came to collect.

Any on lookers will wonder if we have opened a shop of late the amount of comings and goings.

Saturday night, at last by eight in the evening we were done. We had tried to make some food outside. We used the microwave plugged into an outside plug and cooked with the two-ringed mini hob we bought which Hub said gets white hot. Very dangerous, but hey, knobs we can use. Smile, so a simple sausage pasta with cheese for the family and me? Baked potatoes. It took ages to do, trying to find the box with our dishes in another box upstairs this time with pans in and another with microwave plate in. Then locate the fridge, yes, we know where we put it, but by this stage there was boxes of stuff everywhere as we tried to sort out more in the conservatory to make way for the white goods. Some had arrived some were to come on Sunday. As for water for the pan? Oh, don’t even ask…. Let’s just say I’m glad the plumber put the outside tap back on for us last week. Or was that our joiner, I can’t remember. It’s on any way, or, it was, before yesterday’s delivery came and for some reason, they took something off to do with the outside tap, not sure what or why, as yesterday we didn’t eat at home, more on that later.

Neighbours watching us cooking in the garden will be amused. Especially seeing us draining the pasta…

Back to 8.p.m on Saturday, time for the Euro Vision Song contest. Hub and I really love that despite what Europe give us for points. Haha, Brexit? Well, we did better this year than we have done for six years. The winner from Portugal, wow, stunning, absolutely the best song that has ever won Eurovision and I think 49 years they have entered and this is the first time they have won it, and absolutely well deserved.

Salvador Sobral, sang in Portuguese a beautiful love song. Whilst there were typical songs and gimmicks as there should be in Eurovision, like this year there were yodelling, dancing gorilla’s and other fun factors, the competition was stunning. The level of talent this year was overwhelming. But still, Portugal stood on its own, no other country could touch the competition.

Sunday, we worked hard again painter came early and another coat of fruit was painted on our walls. More dust I removed and life started to get cleaner. My lungs have probably aged ten years and I am sure I felt my first millimetre of a line on my face last night.

As one of the delivery men asked for my autograph, no, he hasn’t read my writing, smile, I had to sign for something to say it had been delivered. I told him I was blind and asked if he could show me where to sign? Haha, to which he replied. Oh my, this was funny.
“Oh, so very sorry. Just there, in the white box!””
Very nice. White box Shmite box. know what I mean?
Some people…

Hub and I were delighted to know our dogs had a great free run for an hour, though I do wonder if it’s a bit much for Waggatail. She took forever to stop making steam train sounds. As for the Little Fella? He was ready to go again.

As Hub and I took a well-earned break in the front garden enjoying a rare thing, the sun, our friend brought us some homemade cakes. Bless. Lemon ones this time. Nowhere to put them so they are in a tub in the hall right now.

Well my plumbers have left, now, the other end of the kitchen is getting drilled through, this is a different sounding drill, gosh. This one sounds really serious. Now making a hole for my cooker fan… I hope the mice don’t pay us a visit tonight?

Last night Hub and I had a walk around to our local restaurant. It was a warm sunny evening so we took the long way around and met our Son there and had a really lovely family dinner. To sit at the table again was a luxury. I can’t remember the last time we did that. It’s been weeks. We laughed talked about the world as always and had a deep and meaningful conversation as well as spoke of light subjects. The politics of life. Just breathed. Away from the stress we have at home but moreover, the work we constantly do right now, we never seem to be able to sit down for more than half an hour with the exception of the Eurovision on Saturday.

Back home, BW went out and was back late considering he had to be up today at half five in the morning. Hub woke for work at half six with horrific pains in his face with his TN. It’s stress that brings that on making it worse I am sure. Hopefully his stress is coming to an ending, unless our kitchen is damaged when it turns up on Thursday? Gosh I pray not.


Great news, the electrician is on his way, so a day of lots of stuff getting done.


No comments: