translate

Monday 25 March 2019

OH DEER OH DEER BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good evening Bloggets. As I write to you, I’m numb from the hips down. Haha. Seriously, gosh, today I have been punished. Well, OK, firstly we set off for a lovely walk around a deer park. Or should that be called a deer farm? So sad but it is a place you see the stunning deer then I am sure they will be hunted and there are huge walls and cattle grids on the outside so they have no escape for the cruel cowardly hunters who will have them chased with nowhere to go. But today I had to bite my tongue and take a walk among the beautiful animals and the sounds of many kinds of birds and pheasants who I am sure will also be shot at some point. Again, head in sand, and enjoy the beauty of the nature that was before me.

 

 We passed a lake so decided to sit near it and take in the sounds. We were with our girl Friday who said that the lake was silver in colour as it was glistening in the sun. there were three swans on the lake. One was small at one end of the lake and the other two were let’s say, enjoying each other’s company. The lake was huge but only three swans on there. The weather was so warm with a bit of a Spring bite. The smell of a sweet shrub and freshly cut grass was wonderful. A real tonic!

 

As we headed towards a café which had tables and chairs near the lake to take some refreshments, we continued to enjoy the sounds of happy tourists and excited dogs. Finished our mint tea and hot melted toasties and on our way. Up hills, at speed. Down banks. At speed. Over wooden and concrete bridges over babbling brooks and dams. Under arches of leafy trees. More fragrances from flowers which grew wild along rickety fences. Stone walls everywhere. The water sounded so tranquil. I just wanted to stop and listen to the sounds of the birds. Take in the earthy smells of soil and the woods. But super woman girl Friday did what I asked of her and more…. Continued walking at pace. Lots of roots from trees and stones to fight with. Laughter as we marched on from us girls. Hub and his amazing guide dog followed us. And then we came across a cattle grid. Well I didn’t want to cross there with my Waggatail as they can break a dog’s foot, but as it happens, no way Wags was having that either, so we had to do it the long way, I walked over the cattle grid and my GF walked her a slightly different way over a thin bit of grass.

 

Well, we walked and walked. We walked some more and walked.

 

Oh, heck. My face was turning a very healthy colour of pink apparently. Hub thought it was hilarious. He was practically killing me off.

 

Every time I thought I was about to pass out with heat and exhaustion, Girl Friday laughed and hurried me on. Oh my, where was her heart? Hahaha. Well we surpass 10,000 steps. And still were going.

 

You have to remember the most I have walked in years on a walk or an outing is four thousand. So here we are, ten thousand and no where near where we needed to be for the car.

 

We passed the same lady twice. This was getting embarrassing now. I guess she was lost as we weren’t, we just detoured. Haha. The silence of the woods were only interrupted by the song from the birds and the flow of water.

 

It was so lovely. No cars. No modern day noises.

 

Over a very narrow bridge where a clean body of fresh flowing water fell trickling into a shallow river where our dogs took a refreshment. Much needed I’m sure.

 

By this stage, my Waggatail was panting and doing impressions of a steam train.

 

And we walked and walked some more. 12,000, 14,000 steps. Still going. And at last the car was in sight.

 If you could see it. Haha.

 

Oh my, we walked for almost eight miles. At such a speed. But there was a prize at the end. The most delicious lemon drink and the best ice cream. Well, some would say there is no hope for me others would say was ice cream necessary after a cheese melted toasty? I would say, I deserved it and if I eat food for the next three days, I have still exercised enough today to counteract any calories.

 

We ate our ice cream near a castle surrounded by trees. It was lovely. And when we were walking, there was a church stuck in the middle of a vast field. I said to Hub if I had a big bit of land, I would love a small quaint church. It would be so peaceful.

 

Home and fed our dogs they are shattered. Sound asleep now. it’s 10 in the evening. Our Son hasn’t come home from work yet. He texts to say he was out having a meal. So, if he needs to use the bathroom, tough as it’s got my name on it. I’m off for a long lovely lay in the bath now.

Here is the question, will I be able to get out of it? Haha. Seriously, I’m done in. and tomorrow more walking, but working our dogs so work rather than pleasure.

 

I have walked over 12 miles and 20 thousand steps in the past two days. If I don’t lose weight by the end of the week, I won’t be impressed, but I will have had a lovely time making memories. And for dinner tonight, a tin of baked beans. That is all. So, I’m happy with that. And not at all hungry. 

 

I couldn’t see the beautiful deer. Apparently at one point there were about a hundred of them before us. And in another field, twenty. I didn’t see the playful swans or the pheasants, the coloured leaves and blooms as well as the four shades of greens over the fields which stretched for miles, but I was told of them and my mind worked out the gaps between my vision in front of me a grey sheet and my imagination. To Hub because he has never had sight, his view was words only, but for both of us, a great day.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: