translate

Sunday 3 December 2017

MY CHRISTMAS DIARY (ADVENT SUNDAY) BY FIONA CUMMINGS


My wonderful friend and Blogget from Canada told me such a great story. She was in her shop where they sell everything and there was a fabric large shed in front of her… Suddenly, the door burst open and out pops a Santa’s head… Whatever next? How do we explain to young children that Santa has a shed? I guess it could be where he makes his toys? What will they think of next?

 

In America and Canada, you can get some fantastic out door Christmas decorations. We are so boring in the UK everything is so small. You can get fifteen feet Santa’s, but places like the US and Canada, you can get full size Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus. camel’s donkeys and the three kings. The full Nativity theme. A full family of Polar bears and full-size camels,

 

Only one person has their decorations out in our street… I thought a few days ago when it was snowing, people would have got into the spirit, but not yet.

 

I can’t understand it. This is the first year I haven’t fussed over my trees. I seriously can tell you that this year my decorations must look as if they are drunk. I just am not feeling it this year. I guess because I know in my head that this year is the beginning of an ending and it has me seriously depressed. I’m not looking forward to next year at all. My praying isn’t working at all. I’m sad to say for the first time in my life, I fear I am losing my beliefs, my faith.

 

Hub is now on the floor next to me wrapping…

My Christmas gifts…

It’s great we can do that in front of each other… I wrapped all of mine last week whilst he hovered in and out the room and this week it’s his turn… Thing is with my Husband; his hearing is crazy. He can hear a bird’s breath from seven streets away so when I wrap his gifts, I have to be so careful not to give anything away. The funny thing is, he asks me to cut the paper too. So, he takes a roll and measures it then says. Cut there… and I do… I know I have a couple of huge gifts this year. Then there is the hunt for his tape. I keep mine on my wrist but he keeps putting his down on the floor. Not good when we can’t see where it’s gone… as for the scissors? I’m paranoid about them in case we forget about them and A, the dogs get hurt or B, a hole is put or a rip in our furniture.

 

Every weekend leading up to Christmas I’m busy. My Son has something planned for his Dad and myself for a couple of weekends time. I’m slightly anxious. I don’t like surprises or shocks. And I fear it may be the latter.

 

Shamrock came around last night. She is so excited for Christmas. Bless her… Tomorrow night the two of them are going to stay overnight in a place far from here. BW will be exhausted when he comes home because he won’t be having a rest before he starts work again. I don’t envy where he is going and I hope he will come back in a good mood and shams excitement won’t be spoiled by the person they are staying with.

 

I have just put an orange oil in my burner and still have some gingerbread melts in another burner so the house is smelling really festive.  I need to order loads of little oranges and nuts for the dishes. Then light candles. And play Christmas music. It’s Advent Sunday today. Advent is the preparation of the coming of Christ. Advent, the name comes from the Latin word Adventus which means coming.

 

Will Christ ever come again? Oh, for his sake I hope not. We will just murder him again. For our sake I wish he would but this time with more power. There is a lot of sorting out to do on earth.

 

Advent used to be six Sundays before Christmas day but Pope St Gregory the Great.

   shortened it to four.

 

Some say God comes to us through word and sacrament making the ordinary extraordinary, making the broken whole; redeeming and restoring past, present and future, whatever they hold.

 

God used to come to me through angels. I still feel my angels but I feel like they are apprentices so are just learning. Earlier I felt my Mum, well smelt her smoke. I don’t sense her often but when I do the smell of her cigarettes is almost uncomfortable I have to hold my nose. Hub was next to me he didn’t smell a thing, but the other night he did and it kind of freaked me out, though I want so much to know she is close. It’s this time of year I miss her the most. What is she trying to tell me? It’s never clear. Until after the event. Or perhaps I just can’t understand enough to know. I wish I could get back into the spiritual church. Where I used to live I had a very good friend. Elaine, we met through the church. We are still friends will be forever as through what we both believed in, got me to where I am today. So, she will always have a special part in my heart. Though we live miles away from each other, she will always be close to me. I got great comfort out of the church back then.

 

OK, so reflection I guess today. Whether you believe in Christmas or not, we all need love and time to reflect. X

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

No comments: