translate

Sunday 24 December 2017

CHRISTMAS EVE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good evening Bloggets. Gosh, it’s late, I shall have to type fast as Santa will catch me up and he will fly by my house without leaving a sack…. With my name on it….

 

Hub and I started cooking at nine this morning. And finished at three. Our doorbell went and it was Shamrock with our Christmas gifts. Obviously, Santa came to her house early… For all my mini Bloggets reading, she was out at work as was her family, so I guess he thought he would call in there whilst they were all out as they are a huge family and he wouldn’t want to get caught…

 

Because Sham is working tomorrow, all day, for 13 long hours believe it or not, she said she will be shattered to appreciate Christmas gifts tomorrow, so we opened our gifts together. Boy Wonder was still at work by this point.

 

We got her some stocking fillers. She doesn’t get a stocking sadly, she has never got one none of her family bother with stockings… Of course, I told her that Santa kept leaving his socks at our house so we have a collection of them now and we leave them hanging off the side of the fireplace and just so happens, he leaves treats in them each year… He must not want odd socks.

 

So, in her stocking filler was a bar of my favourite chocolate. Hotel Chocolat. Hmm. I hope Santa will leave me one too!  And she got other treats. Her bedroom is really cold so we asked Santa to get her a knitted hot water bottle with penguins on as she loves penguins. A ribbon was tied around it with some fluffy penguin socks and she got a hairbrush with strawberry’s on and the brush smells of strawberry’s too. For her birthday       we got her a tiny tin the shape of a heart saying happy birthday and her name on it. Inside the tin is chocolates. For Christmas Santa must have seen how she liked her tin as she uses it a lot to carry her earrings in when she goes on holiday, so he brought her another heart tin saying Merry Christmas this time her name and a large jar of Marshmallows too. She got a silly gift too though practical. Car accessories.

 

Sham brought Hub a large Maltesers hamper in a lovely box, and inside that, was a box of Hubs favourite chocolates in the world. Maltesers with bars of the same make and seven cups of hot chocolate. She brought me a salt and pepper set of a London red phone box and matching post box, iconic of our country. I collect cruet sets, so that was kind. She also gave me a beautiful box with the loveliest things inside, so many very large bottles and jars of the most beautiful fragranced creams, bath bubbles body lotions/scrubs and a really pretty facecloth with pink flowers the same design as the box and bottles. I also got in that box a butter cream and lip balm with a handy nail file. The make is JEWELS, if I were a slim framed person, I would love to buy that brand in clothing, but as I’m not, I shall enjoy the fragrances they offer, and until today, I never even knew that you could buy such a product. I love it. It smells so lovely. I shall pamper myself tonight with that thoughtful gift.

 

After just over an hour she went on her way, she is making BW’s gift for Christmas… and Santa left at her house for him a bracelet. BW came in from work and after an hour or so left with gifts he bought rather than let Santa deal with as of course he has so much work on over the next 24 hours, so BW decided to help him out by buying all the gifts for Shamrock and her family.

 

He got Shamrock some beautiful boots she has wanted forever and some stunning perfume. Wow, he has bought her Mum some gorgeous gifts and then there are all of the brothers and sister…

 

Now Hub has his favourite Christmas TV on it’s Carols from Kings College from Cambridge. Every boy who sings in that choir as long as they make the grades is guaranteed a place at Cambridge University.

 

My house smells of cinnamon. We have a candle for all those who have passed and who we miss so much. Hub has a glass of rum. The kids brought him it back from their holiday in the Caribbean and he has just opened it now.

 

So, not much to do in the morning for cooking. Turkey cooked, checked. Small sausages wrapped in bacon, checked, meat loaf checked. Two kinds of stuffing, done and all of the vegetables are pealed, washed, chopped and in water or whatever for tomorrow to put in pans and boil. We of course will have Yorkshire puddings too.  Veg will be carrots, roasted parsnips, cabbage mushy peas sprouts, turnip, mash potatoes and roast potatoes with herbs. Mine and BW’s stuffing is basic onions, sage and herbs whereas Hubs is sausage meat and herbs. We add an egg too to bind. Our house smells so good you can make what we call a Sunday dinner, which is typical English food of basically what I have just said and it never smells like Christmas dinner.

 

My friend from Canada gave me a good tip for food tonight, we just had cheeses and crackers with pickles and some hot sweet mince pies. Nice and easy. I made a home-made quiche too and I have to say, that wasn’t my best one… I just think I did too much today. But still, there is none left…

 The turkey is all ready to carve. Looking at the poor thing, I’m so glad I don’t eat meat… I must say after twenty years, I now can say I really don’t miss meat. BW and I shall have our vegetarian offering which is Quorn family roast which with some oil over the top whilst cooking makes it so good.

 

We will have melon to start and Christmas pudding where our Son will do the tradition of lighting the pudding with some alcohol poured over and with that we will have brandy sauce.

 

We are blessed and I will never forget that. We have each other and food. A warm house and so much love for each other and true love can not be bought. This week I have received the best gift of all. Kind words from some of my Bloggets. There are people reading this who have touched my heart this year. I think you know who you are. You should.

 

Well as my candle burns down the light flickering, though I can’t see it in real life, in my mind’s eye I see it burning and the symbol it represents means so much to me. Reflections. Hub today talking fondly of his Grandfather and us both smiling as we speak of my Mother in law. I had a moment of thought for my parents and they have warmed my heart today. I miss them but I hope right now they are listening to choirs of angels sing to them in a paradise of perfection, where peace prevails and presents will be handed out that will delight them.

 

From my angels to yours. Happy Christmas Dearest Bloggets. X

  

 

    

No comments: