translate

Sunday 16 September 2018

HOSPITAL RELIEF BY FIONA CUMMINGS


So, I asked the Doctor that question that had been on our minds for two days. Could Hub have cancer? The answer was. “We are not ruling that out.”” And that was after a pause. Oh gosh, I wanted to hear.   “Oh, no, if he had cancer, his bloods would not be normal. And they are fine.”” But no.

 

The CT scan would tell what was wrong. So, why not give that on day one? This was late into day two. We were promised the scan yesterday, and tonight he hadn’t even had it.

 

My brother in law called me up and I handed the phone after I spoke with him to Hub.

Hub put his best strongest voice on. He just won’t admit his true feelings. As soon as my BIL said goodbye, reassuring me he is there if I need him. Hub went back into himself. He kept telling me he was scared and was so pleased he had me and our Son. He knew how good BW had been we are a tiny family but have so much love between us. I said he was going to be fine, but left wondering.

 

I had to leave the hospital at that point, knowing my Husband was worse that day than the day before and still no diagnosis. They were just pumping stuff into him all the time. Day and night. Pain killers mainly.

 

The two days on the wards were not good as it brought back memories of our Mums and my Dad. Hospitals are just not nice. And I struggle with them for so many reasons, but to see Hub so sad was awful. And I had to leave him.

 

I came home, Sham had made me some food. She told me I had to eat it. What with her and my bestie telling me to eat, anyone would think I needed to put on weight!

 

Hub and I text all night to each other. He was so close but so far.

 

I kept saying have you had your CT scan yet. He kept replying no.

 

Well I looked up so much on Google that night again, I couldn’t open my eyes by this point. 48 hours almost without sleep. I  certainly realised that searches on line, just scares you.

 

I then started to look up private hospitals. And I was serious I was going to get Hub out of that hospital and bring him to a private one.

 

Half six this morning, no scan still. I was furious. But one good bit of news was that Hub seemed to be a bit better during the night, though totally exhausted.

 

They were injecting him with goodness knows what and giving him things through his tube in his hand.

 

He had to wear surgical stockings and have those dreadful injections in his stomach. So, plenty to do during the night, no time to sleep.

 

6 30 am. I called his ward. Confirmed who I was and asked knowing the answer. Had he had his scan? No. well, then she told me he may get it tomorrow. Sunday. Em, no. so I kind of lost it in a polite way. Trying to keep calm. Basically, telling her they were messing him about. And I was going to get him home today and take him to a private hospital where he would get the correct treatment. The noise in that hospital was just awful. But I will say it was clean and the staff for example care assistance nurses and cleaners, were all so lovely.

 

Doctors? Well, when they are learning all what they have to learn at University, they should add an additional lesson in and it’s called in the other’s shoes.

 

One thing I did notice this visit to our hospitals, was how everyone like Doctors surgeons and so on all shook our hand.

 

Within an hour and a half of me putting down the phone from the sister, Hub told me he felt so much better… he was lasting much longer without painkillers. Apparently, during the night, they were feeding him loads of antibiotics. In their terms, they flushed him out twice.

 

He was told before nine this morning he was allowed food. For the first time in three days. Great, no operation. But at that point, Hub thought he was going to be asked to return for more tests later on.

 

And me, well I was still thinking of the dreadful big C.

 

All morning my friends were continuing to call me by phone. Bless them. Trix and the Like man were so lovely the Like man was going to come through. As was Hubs brother. But by 11 this morning Hub called me and said he was about to go for his scan and then they were going to let him home.

 

How? I mean, he still was relying on pain killers and we didn’t have a diagnosis.

 

I kept myself busy, speaking with my friend on my Alexa box. Changed our bed and put out freshly new washed towels.

 

I sorted out our dogs, cleaned the floor washed the clothes to hopefully welcome my love home.

 

I got the dogs and took them for a walk with my friend. My heart was flat. My soul was torn and I just felt so angry. All that night though I was in bed, I was looking up so much that messed with my mind.

 

Sham came in the house and into the kitchen. She brought her dinner and started to cook.

She made me homemade soup. it was lovely though, though I am a little odd eating other people’s food, as I do wonder how clean they are? But the thought what she did was so lovely. And I won’t forget that.

 

During that night was so silent, I had awful thoughts. What will I do if he dies? I can’t even  remember where we put important things. He is my heart that keeps me alive. Who would do all our tech stuff? As for the bills? I can’t even work our complicated TV. Hang on, I would not even want to watch TV or bother ever again with anything tech. I would exist.

 

I felt sad for the elderly men on the ward. One gent broke down and cried every time his family came to visit. Then after five seconds, he was so happy and joking. Just very emotional bless him and the other one in his eighties, had no visitors as his wife was in a wheelchair and didn’t get far out of the house.

 

My friends were telling me not to be so negative. He would be OK.

 

Well he had the scan and thank my angels, parents I prayed to and nature, he has a really bad infection that is in his blood. His intestine is too small so there is a block and that was the mass. Oh, gosh. Relief. But how did he get this infection? I learned that you don’t catch it… But with his intestine being small, he could have complications in the future.

 

Well I learned that the fluids they gave Hub were antibiotics. He had his CT scan which he said wasn’t a nice experience but at least by then he was starting to feel better. All results came back good apart from saying he had blood poison. As well as an infection caused by the fact he had this small intestine which he would have had since birth.

So, he learned by pm he was coming home. Oh, I found it hard to believe I still wondered if he would by this point. But the best thing his pain had gone from 8 out of 10 being ten being the worst to 3. Wow, so the antibiotics were working.    

 

Our friends brought him home. I stayed with the dogs. At last my baby was back where he belongs. He was weak but stayed awake for our Son to return from work. BW was so relieved to see his Dad back too. He got a shower, then fell fast asleep.

 

They sent him home without pills as they said they flushed him twice overnight so he is free of infection now. but it could come back.

And if it does, it’s a private operation for sure. I can’t go through that hell tunnel again.

 

To be continued

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: