translate

Wednesday 19 September 2018

DIARY OF LOOK OUT ROD ON THE CURE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good day Bloggets. I’m off to a neighbourhood watch meeting next week. I told them I would only go if I could be chief look out. Haha. They agreed. Gosh it’s so very windy here today. I’m not going out, I was going to meet with a friend, but not on your Nelly I am going out in that. Especially when I have to be so close to a nasty road and one slight move to the left going and right coming back, I’m on the road. And from past experience, I know cars will not slow down, even if I am on the road with my guide dog. Thankfully Wagga has improved and does kind of stop now at kerbs. But most of the time I have to tell her to do so. So, I need to know where the kerb is and if it’s windy, it’s so hard to hear where I’m going.

 

Same if it’s raining. The roads sound so much noisier and sometimes cars seem closer.

 

My friend called me today to ask if I wanted to go with her next year to see Rod Stewart… Well if it was fifteen years ago may be, but to be honest now he is needing to just sing along to his own CD.

In his own sitting room!

On his own!

He’s 73 now and in his time was great, but not anymore. These people just don’t know when to stop. I mean, people like Tom Jones, wow, well he was pure brilliant, so now he is great. Where as if you are great, you end up not so great.

 

Rod if you are reading this. Hahaha. You will always be remembered as you were. Great song title don’t you think?

 

Leading on nicely to my next subject. I was reading about an ancient watermill today. A new study of chemical deposits, at the old Roman watermill Barbital in southern France. They have found that it was in use only half of the year. Having late summer and Autumn off. So, what did the workers do the other half of the year? Possibly fished?

Or visited the Circus’s. Smile.

 

Something else I was reading about is plants communicate stress using their own kind of nervous system. When a leave gets damaged or eaten, it warns other leaves by using the same signals as used by animals. Animal nerve cells talk to each other with the aid of an amino acid.   

 I know there was a plant in the summer I pulled hard as it was tough and I needed to get rid of the leaf. It was really damaged. I swear it screamed. I felt so bad. So guilty. Since then I made it fast and cut with scissors. But now I have read this, oh, gosh, shall I just leave or leaf, haha, the dead leaves on? But then will they not send signals to the other leaves to say they are dead? Why shouldn’t plants have feelings, I mean, they grow, they have life. that is why when a plant looks dead, we say it’s dead, because normally it stops growing. So, if it has life, of course it’s going to have feelings.

 

BW has just gone to the gym. I’m so pleased he has so much energy to do so. I guess he is young. I had loads of energy until I gave birth then it all seemed to get eaten up.

 

I do believe that if you have either poor vision or no vision, you do get more tired. Nothing is easy for us, is it.

 

Leading me onto some news about blindness. You can imagine my face when I read the headline (Day blind sheep CURED. by gene therapy)

“For those wondering why I put a full stop after cured, it’s because those who use screen readers won’t know I have put the word cured in bold.

Cured we never see cured, do we? So, I had to look into it. Here is what I found

 

Back in 2009 a group of Israelis

researchers identified a herd of sheep suffering from day blindness. So, not my eye disease, but still interested for those of you who don’t have RP but still have poor vision.

 

The eye condition they have is more prominent between families who marry into their own family…

In Jerusalem 1 in 5000 people have day blindness.

So now in the US they are treating people with achromatopsia. Six years ago the sheep that were injected with one gene therapy still can see.

That is amazing, why can’t it be so easy for us RP’s?

 

Knowledge of treating under the retina is becoming more common. This is good news for us. Keep going please.

 

 

OK off now to cook dinner for the boys. Until later, keep positive and don’t let them knock us down. If we do fall, get up quick, brush yourself down and walk forwards, never backwards. X

 

No comments: