translate

Friday 14 June 2019

STRANGERS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Strangers

Isn’t it strange that you can trust someone you have never even met? You feel closer to someone that you have been in contact with on line but never been in the same room as and you tell them everything? What is all that about?

 

Over the years I have been told deep dark secrets that I would never ever tell anyone. Is it because they can trust me? But why, how do they? They are not my relatives or social friends. But what we have is something very special.

 

So, what do we have with the strangers who were once a star in the distance seen by others but not me?

 

I have one very special person in my life who I tell everything to. I so trust them. I feel a real deep connection with. I have another half a dozen people I talk to about life. but none of them I have ever met. Well, not in this, life.

 

What is it about all of that? I’m intrigued. In a society where we may feel lonely and totally detached from those who we ar meant to be close to, we divulge words to people we have never met with because they won’t judge us? They don’t know anyone we are close to like friends, family, colleagues? Do we, the listeners get a buzz out of feeling like we are so important that a certain person has trusted us, with their life story? Is it the feeling of absolute joy to know you have removed a Burdon of agony from someone’s shoulders? We feel useful. Rather than useless.

 

Under certain circumstances, being stuck in a crowded lift, on a long hall flight or just waiting until your name is called in the waiting room, sharing that close proximity with someone can give us that sense of security to reveal everything about ourselves.

 

We can get a false sense of intimacy when we are getting a massage, our hair cut/styled or in a Doctors surgery where they come across as being very caring. The only people who touch us normally are those we love and who we are close to. The only people who should listen to us, are those we care about and who are meant to care for us. This is where the false sense of familiarity comes into our lives. The acceptance of reciprocity.

 

Many people succumb to oversharing. Just be careful. But when we do find people, we can trust there is no trust like it. I have never told anyone I have just met or started talking with anything that I consider a secret, but I have told people I have met on line things I would never tell friends or some family members. I call those people I trust my soul sisters. As I truly believe we are all recycled as in we have lived on earth or some land before and perhaps our paths have crossed in another world before the one, we know of now.

 

 I don’t believe it’s a bad thing to disclose personal facts about yourself. Just be careful who you tell your secrets or problems to. Feel them in your heart. If one talks to a stranger, one doesn’t have to worry about the negative effect having a problem with their social or circle family or job. Also, we don’t tell strangers the most intimate things it could be something like a row with a loved one or a bad habit that annoys you about your partner or a hang up you have about yourself. I think sharing is caring and if we keep everything to ourselves, that is the road to a breakdown.

 

No comments: