translate

Friday 21 June 2019

MEG #PoetryByFionaCummings


MEG BY FIONA CUMMINGS

I looked into her deep dark eyes

 They told a story of constant lies

  I held my hand out to her

She shivered as if I was going to hurt her

Her body full of pain

How would she ever trust again?

It would take time

I was told

Keep her warm in the cold

A smile so bold

A voice so calm

Show her you mean her no harm

This is what they said

When they found her left for dead?

I gave my promise on that day

I would never go away

Hands together I did pray

For her to sleep without a nightmare

For her to wake, knowing I was looking after her

For her just to feel safe with me

I love her like she is part of my family

She came with no name

Knotts in her Maine

Cuts to her leg

But I would fix her

And call her Meg

 I don’t think she will ever totally trust humans

But she already knows she will be fed

She will run free

She will sleep in her very own bed

The freshly laid straw

In a warm stable

And we will keep working together

Until she is able

To learn to except we are not all bad

Until she forgets, how to be sad

  As the weeks went by

Oh, tears I cried

How I tried

And at last I can tell

She has left hell

She is now dancing under the sun

 Jumping having fun

Even interacting with my other pony’s

Everyone who sees the change agrees

Sheltering under the birch tree

Galloping through the stream

This is my dream

Just to give victims of humans another chance

To set them free

From what they had before

To close that door

And open their gate

This is my fait

My destiny

My pony’s love me

And I adore them

Along with the goat, the dogs, the kitten

Even the frogs, yes, I’m smitten

 

© Fiona Cummings

Thank God for people who care for animals.

 

 

 

 

No comments: