translate

Saturday 15 June 2019

SHOES BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Shoes

Most of us are fortunate enough to have feet.  So, we need shoes. Need. That word says a lot. I’m really showing my age in my latest words. Where as when we are babies, we are given booties, when we are children, we are told what to wear and when we are heading towards adulthood, we wear coverings on our feet that look good, no matter how much they hurt or how impractical they are.

 

I remember forcing my feet into the pointiest of burgundy leather boots with tassels down the sides. They had zips on the inside and they were knee high. Oh, the heels, they were as thin as a pencil and a huge 5 inches long. Yes, I walked with grace I must say, on stilts of 5 inches which is about 12.7 cm. how did I even do it? Considering now just to go up or down a step I get vertigo!

 

I would put on my most beautiful shoes I had them of every colour all high heels. I was tall from the age of about 12, so didn’t really need heels other than I thought they looked great. But as I put them on each morning, that day would be different. For whatever reason, my feet wouldn’t hurt that day. Why, when they did every other day?

 

Half way through the day, oh, boy, the elastic bands were getting tighter. By evening, early evening, I couldn’t wait to take them off. By the end of the night, let me at my shoes… oh few. Wow, as tears fell from my eyes of pure pain relief and pleasure, possibly the best feeling I could imagine for a short while, until I put them on again on another day, of course and went through it all that same night.

 

Why do we ladies go through that? We are so vane. I used to love matching my shoes with my bag and even in the 80’s matching bangles and beads. Oh, I thought I was it…. Now? I wear semi practical shoes. My friends are always telling me off because I don’t wear appropriate footwear. But I’m much better than I was last year and miles better than I was twenty years ago, that’s for sure.

 

Some people pay thousands for footwear. I am sure shoes are not worth thousands. They are covered in jewels. Well, stones but why? Go out and buy a necklace?  We can get jewels on our shoe’s bags and gloves now. and I’m sure they look stunning. But when you pay the same for footwear as a car, it’s a crazy thought. And when will you get bored of them? Once all your friends have seen them, aren’t they old hat? Or, old shoes?

 

If we were meant to wear really high heels or even any kind of heel, we would have been born with different feet, surely? And can you even imagine what it was like for our predecessors in life? no shoes at all. Ouch. How on earth did they walk without cutting themselves? And how did they keep warm?

 

How many pairs of shoes do you own? In my prime of life, haha, I guess I owned about thirty pares. That’s not too bad. People have dedicated rooms just for their shoes. Now, I think I have about ten pares. And they are all flat and boring. And most of them kill me. I have one pare that lovely Pip talked me into buying. Oh, I fought with her no way I was buying granny shoes. I hated them. They were the most unattractive shoes on this earth. They were for very very old people. I would cringe even going into the make of this shop.

 

Well I went in. Hub said. Just try them on, you don’t have to buy them. So just to shut him and Pip up, I put them on.

Oh

Gosh

Wow

Em, well, I bought them. They were heavenly. I hurried to the till, paid for them wanting to tell the people behind serving that they were not for me but an elderly relative. But I think they saw the fuss we were causing and the acceptance that they were right and I was wrong. Of course, I never admitted they were right I needed comfort at last, I just told them to keep them off my back, I would buy them. As the man handed me my bag, I hurried back to Hub and the three of us came out of the shop, I hoped people would think I was a kind friend carrying the bag for my older friend…. If I could have seen, I would have looked left and right just before leaving the shop, just in case anyone saw me who I knew.

 

Now I have worn them. Three times. And wow, yes, they are amazing. But oh gosh, they still look hideous.

No comments: