translate

Friday 8 June 2018

THE BRAIN BEHIND THE BLOG BY FIONA CUMMINGS


OK, so this blog may end on a serious note… But first.

It’s sunny but chilly. The birds are singing but sounding tired now. Their stunning song doesn’t last too long during the day. In the mornings though, oh, wow, they sound so beautiful like cool water flowing through a Chrystal tube.

 

Well my Son left today for a break for two nights. He has gone with ten friends. His girlfriend will meet him there tonight. I hope he will be careful as his new job starts on Monday. Where has the time gone? I remember saying he starts in five weeks. It seems like no more than twenty days ago.

 

Remember when I wrote the other day that you can only donate your eyes up to the age of 90 in the UK? I didn’t understand why 90 when your vision starts to deteriorate well before then, so why not over 100 if you can get up to 90? Well I have researched and not been able to find out why. I have asked someone who should know, where the original source came from but no answer so far… I have learned that you can’t donate your eyes if you are still alive… And, why would you want to, unless you had been told you had months to live…

 

Talking of living and dying…. Oh, yes, let’s get serious… What happens to our brain when we die? What, you have never wondered? Well there must be one person out there who has? Is it just me?  Here I am talking to myself again. Haha.

 

The final seconds before we die what happens to our brain?

Tunnel vision emerges when there’s a disruption of blood supply to the brain. So, the first thing you notice when you faint, is a narrowing to the vision, hence tunnel vision.  Followed by blackness. Being flippant, no wonder twenty years ago when I went blind, I thought I was dying… when we faint it’s similar to dying as both are caused by a oxygenated blood.

 

Living brain tissue is soft like jelly this is why a blow to the head can cause brain damage. They say the human brain has evolved just   like someone would add an extension to a house… the theory is the most primitive core developed first millions of years ago in some mammalian ancestor, that part hasn’t changed much. This is the basil ganglia, and it’s pink in colour, it controls voluntary and involuntary movements as well as desires like hunger and sex drive.

 

As we peal outwards, the structures become more human. Taking us to the hippocampus and temporal lobe, coloured blue, that is associated with learning and memory. Finally, the outer layer of the brain is yellow…     this is our latest development, and something of a crowning achievement. This is the cerebral cortex, comprising four lobes, and in charge of everything from social decisions, to to our sense of right and wrong, and our ability to plan for our future…  so, this is the part of the brain that gets you to think about what it must be like to die? Or to donate your eyes… Or, to visit this blog again? Hahaha. I promise my blogs are not normally like this one… 

 

So once the blood supply is cut off, you are dying/dead, what happens for the next minute? Because the blood supply comes from underneath, the brain tends to die from the top to the bottom claiming our most human characteristics first. Our sense of self, our sense of humour and our ability to think ahead, tends to go within the first ten to twenty seconds.

 

Then as the blood starved brain cells spread out, our memories and language centres short out, until we are left with just a core.

 

People with just the core are in a vegetated state. For all intent and purposes, you could say they are dead as they don’t have a consciousness or an awareness of their, or our, surroundings.

 

If these basal structures are intact, they will still breathe and have a pulse.

 

I have read it’s our soul or the features we associate with our soul, goes first…  leaving only the ability to breathe.  Oh, and another thing that is last to go, is the ability to be able to go to the toilet… only a toilet won’t be an option…    

 

So, science can’t really tell us what happens to us our brain afterlife, apart from it will swell up and die. But remember there is a huge part of our brain in our lives now that doesn’t work. For us that is. So, why have that waisted brain? Or, is it used in another life? as we pass through worlds, is our brain turned on and off not to remember our past life and not to know what is to become of our future? The fear of death is enough to hope that people will turn to religion. I only wish we could all have the same religion, then we wouldn’t have so much hatred.

 

I mean, if we were an accident, why would we all be the same accident? Why have different colours inside like our brain, pink blue and yellow was written above, to help in some way to define the different parts of our brain I guess as I am sure our brains are actually grey on the outside and with black and red matter may be white inside. But as I haven’t as yet opened up a skull to check out a brain, I can only go by what I have read. Our teeth are white, the whites of our eyes. Lips pink and so on. Why do we have feelings, it can’t be we are an accident. Or we would just have no feelings, surely?

 

And to end on a question,

What song brings a tear to your eyes whether it be sad tears or happy?

For me it’s Amazing Grace as that was the song that I relate to my Mum. For many reasons in which I have written about before. But in brief, for new Bloggets, it involves me, Russia and my vision.

It also was what we said goodbye to when my Mum died. I’m not sure if it was my Brother who organised it for me or just pure coincidence, but when my love and I married, and we entered the reception room, the bagpipes played it over the speakers. But here is a more beautiful version careful at the start, don’t get a fright as it’s for whatever reason, thundering. Smile.

 


 

  I truly felt the presence of my Mum at that point and that day I had pure tears of joy. Each time I hear songs from our wedding I tear up one song in particular. Michael Buble Hold on. As that was the song my Husband walked me back up the isle with our faithful old guide dog Long Chops. God bless her. I did hold on and I came home that day to stay.

 


 

 Elvis’s Dixieland was one of my Dads songs too. Here it is. And these are sad tears so, I shall not listen to it, but if you like this, here goes.


 

For my Husband it’s another one of our songs as well as Somewhere  Over The rainbow, as that was the song that represents the sad day of his Mums funeral.


 

Gosh, I miss them all but let’s hope a part of our brain will be switched on after this world and we will go onto the next and I pray, remember each other and be able to live forever next time. In a world much better than this one.

 

 

 

 

No comments: