translate

Sunday 3 June 2018

SUNDAY DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Today I was interested to learn I was asked to respond to a Glide for guide day. So, gliding through the air? Em, well whoever thinks I can do that, or any kind of machine can lift the Fifi, doesn’t know me. It will take a jet to elevate me. And this day out is in America. But whoever goes I am sure it will be great fun, just it’s a bit far for me to travel by bus…

 

It was also suggested to me to join a group called… Blogging babes. Hahaha. My babe days are long gone.

 

My lovely neighbour came today to put our lights on our tree outside but I told him I was keeping them for Christmas. They were to replace the ones he ran over. The ones he ran over were or was a red wire that lights up. So, all year round really where as these new lights, are multi coloured so will be nice at Christmas. But silly in June.

 

Hub and I are shattered. We have spent all morning cleaning out the side of our house/garden. Oh, my, things we put there last year just to store. That really should have been chucked away. But we can’t just put them in the back of our car and drive to a tip. So, we have ordered a collection for Tuesday. They will collect up to ten items. We emptied such nasty water from storage containers and swept and scrubbed. Feeling for anything that shouldn’t be there and not knowing what on earth we were going to touch next. Gross. And then into the garage to sort that out. Oh, my there were boxes and tins of stuff. Just stuff. Old dog beds well not so old about half a year but our dogs took a liken to them and started to eat them. And there were doors from our kitchen spare ones and the sink we got whilst we had no kitchen last year. Planks of wood and old seats. An old bathroom cabinet and more. Again, just felt our way through the garage. We have a tidy rack for the wall to put tools in but getting it on the wall is a different thing. Sadly, our gardener didn’t come today. He was meant to come yesterday but it rained all day. And he had some painting to do. So, I hoped he would come today. He must have been busy.

 

It's our Sons last day at this job, a new start.

 

I’m writing this outside. It’s boiling hot. We are being polluted by the traffic flying past and the smells from our roses is so sweet. Our dogs are shattered after their hours free run today and hub has the cricket on his radio, laying on his lounger. My washing line is full of white sheets and white towels. And I know what is for dinner so not much to think about other than writing to you and getting Hubs clothes ready for the week ahead.

 

How Sundays have changed over the years. As a child when I was fortunate to be home that weekend from school, it was Sunday lay in, then a delicious huge Sunday dinner cooked by my Mum. Roast beef and Yorkshire puddings. Oh, I love them. Loads of cooked veg, mash potatoes and roast potatoes. Usually followed by a sweet rice pudding. Not so keen on that. But it was Mums tradition.

 

A lazy afternoon. Few cars on the roads. And most people in those days were called Sunday drivers. People used to complain about them saying it was obvious that they didn’t go anywhere during the week by car in the way they drove. Very slowly and unsure. Normally going for a picknick somewhere or to some kind of National Trust house or other place of interest as there were no shops open in those days. It was a much better way to be. How we went from that to the odd one shop opening with people going crazy saying it was wrong to do that on a Sunday to now everything being opening. It just seemed to go from nothing overnight to everything. It’s the world we live in, a no one says no and no one has to wait. Or think about life beforehand. As in plan a head.

 

It was family time. And we have lost that. At boarding school sadly if I had to stay weekends us girls would cook and do the washing for the boys as well as ourselves. Whilst the boys played. Gosh, they wouldn’t be allowed to get away with that now.

 

But every Sunday we would have to go to church. I hated that but it was some kind of escape from the nasty life we had there at school. It was funny as we all had to wear our school uniform only it wasn’t a school uniform that we wore during the week. Totally different. A new or best kilt, white shirt, yellow tie and green blazer. During the week. White shirt, no tie, grey jumper and older  kilt in the  winter, but in summer a dress with stripes a bit like you would wear in prison.  The boys also had a uniform only fit for church. Our school was all show. And when onlookers were gone, all hell!

 

So, I’m closing for now and will post this later. Just a Sunday Diary and I’m wondering what Sundays will be like in our future?

    

No comments: