translate

Wednesday 23 May 2018

THE FEATHER BY FIONA CUMMINGS


THE FEATHER

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

She spoke to me through her rose bouquet

Without wings she began to say

I’m watching over you every day

I still care and love you, though I went away

I know you miss me and need me more than ever

I’m still here just I’m not the same

And then she left me a feather

But she didn’t fly as she had no wings

And from then on it wasn’t the same

I felt free as if no chains

But then the weight of life returned

And my heart sunk as my thoughts burned

Was it really her, by my side?

Why couldn’t I see her, why did she hide?

Where did she go

How did she get here?

I didn’t understand

Why couldn’t she stay and hold my hand

Reassure me it’s going to be fine?

Remove my fear

Put the past behind

And give me a clue of my future

If she didn’t have a message for me

Why did she come?

Who sent her and how did she know how much I missed her?

And where now is her home?

What does she do all day?

How did she say what she wanted to say?

I heard no words outside my head

I felt nothing physical, like I said

I didn’t see her just smelled the roses

As one door opens, the other closes

I try to disguise my emotions

But my thoughts expose, the true me

I open my eyes to see

But I don’t want to look what’s in front of me

I have to learn to turn away

And hope she follows me again some day

But next time stay a bit longer

I need that sweet smell to linger

As I have so much to say

And I wonder

Is she  waiting for her wings?

Does the choir have to sing?

Does she have to learn some lessons?

And then with wings she gets her blessings

But if she is able to fly away

Does she go forever?

In the meanwhile, I shall treasure this feather

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

 

 

  

 

No comments: