translate

Monday 6 November 2017

DOXFORD HALL BROKEN BREAK PART 1 BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I was so looking forward to a stress-free weekend away. No housework cooking or everyday just, things, you know what I mean? And so, our journey began! Are you sitting comfortably?

 

Well obviously,, you know Hub and I are both blind. We have been to many countries. Hub on his own with work to some very dangerous countries but was met by colleagues at whatever strange airport, mind you, some countries were beautiful and I was so envious of him. Not jealous as I travelled with him a couple of times and our Son once and he worked so hard when away sometimes never leaving the conference rooms of the hotels but occasionally he did get to travel/tour but again, they were with colleagues. But to go on holiday as two blind people is almost impossible. Unless you have some help from sighted people. So, this weekend was going to be a break. In England. To my homeland of Northumberland but way out in the sticks at a place called Doxford Hall and spa, set in the beautiful area of Alnmouth which I have written about before as we have been to this hotel many times including our honeymoon. But in February, we met with our best friends and stayed in the grounds in a cottage and went to eat in the main hotel which was as good as an experience as before. But this visit was to be different.

 

Because we enjoyed our time so much we decided to book up again. It was my friend Likes, 50th, at this point I shall tell you, he is OLDER. Than mwah. Smile. So, to combine Likes birthday and our getaway, off we went.

 

It was a crisp bright morning very early and a taxi was to be taken to our train station. We got to the door where eventually after almost ten minutes, a staff member came to take us through the very busy station. Peoples feet, rushing around, many voices, wheel sounds from hurried cases I could hear, well, just sounds. Trains entering the station and pulling away. Cups clashing from café’s and tiny dogs barking at our two guide dogs. Echoes of bustling bodies, business people, babies crying and announcements being made telling people of delays. And guess whose train was among those delays? Yep, ours. So, in a lift, out of that one and in another along corridors and into a café where we had a hot cup of coffee. So many people cases bags prams and so on in the café and I was in the worst draft coming right from the platform. Hub went to the counter ordered himself a bacon sandwich and we had a coffee each. I didn’t want to eat far too anxious of travel. just getting on and off trains is something I doubt I will ever get used to especially after I fell a couple of years ago my leg is still really bad in fact dangerously bad in the respect I can’t feel it from the knee up it’s like fizzy. And, it’s the same leg as the knee I really hurt when I fell on the road well I sound a right one, I have only had about five falls in my life and that is a long life. just in case my maker is listening, not long enough, thank you…

Just when I fall, I really fall. I’m talking earthquake fracking ground trembling moments! When the Fifi falls, the Fifi falls hard and fast!

 

Well, our train was delayed over one hour. But we got on the train. We book first class for many reasons. One, you are guaranteed a seat. That’s important when you have guide dogs. I hate the thought of a dog getting stood on. Two, it’s more civilised and three you get served drinks and food and again to take a guide dog to the food bar on a moving train and try to carry a coffee back with you isn’t a good thing.

 

I was freezing. But was served a cup of tea, and bubble and squeak. Hub, the meat eater, got a English breakfast. Bacon, eggs, sausage, tomato, baked beans and fried bread! Bubble & squeak? It’s mash potato and cabbage fried.

Very nice though. But kind caring vegies tend to get pooped on.

 

We pulled up at our next station and our besties got on. It was great to see them. I was so excited now. Well, then, the train stopped. Just stopped. And we waited and waited. The bar had run out of food so or friends didn’t get anything to eat. Shocking as they knew how many people were getting on. So, why had they run out? I felt so bad. I would rather they ate than me. But I had my food before they got on. They did get a coffee though.

 

Well a journey that should have taken an hour and a half, took three hours. I had to keep calling the taxi company at the other end. It was Kerry the same company we used that last time. She is brilliant. If you are going to Alnmouth the company she works for are based in the amazing Alnwick, the neighbour of Alnmouth, her company are called Sovereign Taxi’s. I will give you the link at the bottom.

 

Eventually we got there. It wasn’t so bad being stuck in a comfortable train with our best friends chatting and relaxing, the bit before in the draughty station was awful though. Kerry our taxi driver was there right at the door of the train, that is such a relief knowing you can trust someone to be there. She’s brilliant and so helpful. The train station is so noisy its difficult to know where you are meant to go other than to turn right. Busy trains pulling in and out with no tactile at the edge of the platform which is outside, is also a little scary. My Waggatail was too interested to know what was there to eat on the platform to guide properly whereas the Little Fella worked as well as ever. Trix and Like used their white canes and off we followed Kerry to the lovely car awaiting.

 

It was about 25-minute drive and we were met by a member of staff from Doxford. We were taken to the Georgian room served a lovely pot of coffee and shortbread biscuits. Enjoyed the peaceful tranquillity of the place. But this time it just felt different. There was an atmosphere we picked up on but at that point weren’t sure what.

 

We waited, and waited. By this point we all needed the toilet so a member of staff kindly showed us where to go and then there were the dogs, well, bless their little bursting bladders, they held it in.

 

We waited some more. Two hours later, we asked if our cottage was ready, like asked, we were given this answer.

“Em, did you stay in the cottage last time did you say?”” Like answered yes, is there a problem? He answered. “Em.”” Then a very long paus before coming back with. “Oh… … …

 no.

 em.

 Just. Noit’sOK shouldn’t be toomuchlonger. “” after the slow start to his  answer then a mumble and speedy answer towards the end. I really was getting concerned. Something was very different.

To be continued.

No comments: