translate

Wednesday 15 November 2017

A KIND OF SODA DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good afternoon Bloggets. Gosh, it’s one of those days. I have so much to do and I’m like a rabbit in the headlights. Paint is essential today, no, I’m not going to create a masterpiece or even decorate my house, but, I have to buy paint for when my decorator is coming. I want it out of the way so I can stop worrying about getting it. Knowing my luck, I will put it in our garage and it will freeze.

My Son has been on the phone forever to his pal from Uni. Then I hope he will be going to the gym as since his holiday, he hasn’t wanted to go, imagine such a thing? Knowing how dedicated he was and has been for four years now. five sometimes seven times per week! 

I have just been in our conservatory to try to find room for our Christmas tree. See, I have two. The one in my lounge is fine but the one in my conservatory last year I managed to fit it in with ease, but since then, I have blocked a door bricked it up, and created a walk-through patio window/door. So, less wall space. And still the same amount of furniture. As I have my dining table in there and chairs as well as a sofa a small coffee table, a bigger one that is all mirrored with a beautiful lamp on it that is our pride and joy, so it’s important that has a safe base and right now, it has, but I’m thinking I have to move it to make more space. I have a china cabinet too and a hostess trolley. Oh, and two floor plants. At this point I will say it’s quite a large conservatory, just the design is slightly awkward.

  

Old Bloggets will know my Husband hates it when I move the furniture. Hates with a capital H. and I could only have one tree, but why when I have two? Smile. Also, when we are eating over the festive season, it’s nice to look at a tree, right? So, trying to imagine what a room will look like is rather a challenge. Sometimes I have to move everything to see how it feels then go to my memory and try to imagine what it must look like to those who can see.

 

My Hub isn’t back until quite late today as he is in Scotland. His train was delayed almost forty minutes this morning. He left the house at ten to seven. So even dinner tonight is going to be odd. I’m praying my Son will eat the pot of pasta that is left from last night, I made a huge dish of it. It’s tuna pasta so, Hub isn’t too keen and of course I don’t eat anything with a face… I think I will do Hub something light as he has been so good on his diet of late and hasn’t been eating after six but tonight he will be in late, so, what to do? Me, I may just have beans on toast, a real blooming caravan dinner… my kitchen whites are in the wash today, well, I’m not wearing them. Smile.  I just don’t want to cook. An yet I’m so hungry. It’s torture. I’m so not feeling it. I admire those who just can eat so well all the time. Eating well to me is like a cold feeling. I know where it stems from I have counselled myself many times. When I was at boarding school, we were given food not even fit for some, prisoners and at weekends or holidays when we went home, our Mums cooked us such comfort food. Everything we loved my Mum thought she was being kind and she was, as our school meals were simply abuse. Cold cabbage one slice of meat and a spoon of potato most days. On a small plate. Cereal and a slice of bread and butter for breakfast. They didn’t even toast it for us.

 

The sensible person inside of my head tells me to stop looking back and letting them win and be healthy and say stuff you to that horrid time in my life, but the scars won’t heal.

 

I have a lovely lime burning oil right now in my burner. It smells so good. I need to get some Christmas ones. Like orange, chocolate cinnamon or spices.

 

Looking at some house tips today on line and here is what I found

Place a bag of vinegar over your shower head to clean it, well I know it’s meant to clean glass, so, chrome too I guess.

 

Now baking soda, I should use it more, but here is what I found that I didn’t know you could do with it.

To freshen up rugs Sprinkle baking soda and leave for fifteen minutes then vacuum it up.

Put a scoop of it in your laundry with your normal powder to brighten your washing up.

To brighten up a floor, pour half a cup in hot water, mop and rinse for a shiny floor.

Make your own bathroom scrub. Add a quarter of a cup to a dish or bucket, then one table spoon of liquid detergent and add vinegar to make a creamy thick texture, wash then rinse.

It’s written too that if you have a small grease fire in your kitchen for example by scattering baking soda, it will extinguish the flames.

You throw it on by the handful.

 

Cleaning your dishwasher and coffee machine, the latter I wouldn’t dare, but if you do, let me know, run an empty cycle with some soda in.

OOOO I need to do this one. Three quarters of a cup of baking soda with a quarter of water rub onto your silver then rinse and dry.

 

Use it in your kitty box then add litter on top to keep it smelling good.

One cup BS and one cup vinegar to unblock the kitchen drains.

 Put your toothbrush in a quarter of BS and a quarter of water let your brush stand overnight to clean it

Discourage weeds by scattering BS on the cracks of your driveways.

 

Now I did know about this and I know it works, next time you have baking trays or dirty pans, try pouring some baking soda on your pots leave again for fifteen minutes then wash as you normally would. You will find the nastiness just comes off.

 

So, on that note, haha. I shall go and hunt out my baking soda. Until later with love.

 

  

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

No comments: