translate

Tuesday 7 November 2017

DOXFORD HALL THE BROKEN BREAK ALL PARTS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I was so looking forward to a stress-free weekend away. No housework cooking or everyday just, things, you know what I mean? And so, our journey began! Are you sitting comfortably?

 

Well obviously,, you know Hub and I are both blind. We have been to many countries. Hub on his own with work to some very dangerous countries but was met by colleagues at whatever strange airport, mind you, some countries were beautiful and I was so envious of him. Not jealous as I travelled with him a couple of times and our Son once and he worked so hard when away sometimes never leaving the conference rooms of the hotels but occasionally he did get to travel/tour but again, they were with colleagues. But to go on holiday as two blind people is almost impossible. Unless you have some help from sighted people. So, this weekend was going to be a break. In England. To my homeland of Northumberland but way out in the sticks at a place called Doxford Hall and spa, set in the beautiful area of Alnmouth which I have written about before as we have been to this hotel many times including our honeymoon. But in February, we met with our best friends and stayed in the grounds in a cottage and went to eat in the main hotel which was as good as an experience as before. But this visit was to be different.

 

Because we enjoyed our time so much we decided to book up again. It was my friend Likes, 50th, at this point I shall tell you, he is OLDER. Than mwah. Smile. So, to combine Likes birthday and our getaway, off we went.

 

It was a crisp bright morning very early and a taxi was to be taken to our train station. We got to the door where eventually after almost ten minutes, a staff member came to take us through the very busy station. Peoples feet, rushing around, many voices, wheel sounds from hurried cases I could hear, well, just sounds. Trains entering the station and pulling away. Cups clashing from café’s and tiny dogs barking at our two guide dogs. Echoes of bustling bodies, business people, babies crying and announcements being made telling people of delays. And guess whose train was among those delays? Yep, ours. So, in a lift, out of that one and in another along corridors and into a café where we had a hot cup of coffee. So many people cases bags prams and so on in the café and I was in the worst draft coming right from the platform. Hub went to the counter ordered himself a bacon sandwich and we had a coffee each. I didn’t want to eat far too anxious of travel. just getting on and off trains is something I doubt I will ever get used to especially after I fell a couple of years ago my leg is still really bad in fact dangerously bad in the respect I can’t feel it from the knee up it’s like fizzy. And, it’s the same leg as the knee I really hurt when I fell on the road well I sound a right one, I have only had about five falls in my life and that is a long life. just in case my maker is listening, not long enough, thank you…

Just when I fall, I really fall. I’m talking earthquake fracking ground trembling moments! When the Fifi falls, the Fifi falls hard and fast!

 

Well, our train was delayed over one hour. But we got on the train. We book first class for many reasons. One, you are guaranteed a seat. That’s important when you have guide dogs. I hate the thought of a dog getting stood on. Two, it’s more civilised and three you get served drinks and food and again to take a guide dog to the food bar on a moving train and try to carry a coffee back with you isn’t a good thing.

 

I was freezing. But was served a cup of tea, and bubble and squeak. Hub, the meat eater, got a English breakfast. Bacon, eggs, sausage, tomato, baked beans and fried bread! Bubble & squeak? It’s mash potato and cabbage fried.

Very nice though. But kind caring vegies tend to get pooped on.

 

We pulled up at our next station and our besties got on. It was great to see them. I was so excited now. Well, then, the train stopped. Just stopped. And we waited and waited. The bar had run out of food so or friends didn’t get anything to eat. Shocking as they knew how many people were getting on. So, why had they run out? I felt so bad. I would rather they ate than me. But I had my food before they got on. They did get a coffee though.

 

Well a journey that should have taken an hour and a half, took three hours. I had to keep calling the taxi company at the other end. It was Kerry the same company we used that last time. She is brilliant. If you are going to Alnmouth the company she works for are based in the amazing Alnwick, the neighbour of Alnmouth, her company are called Sovereign Taxi’s. I will give you the link at the bottom.

 

Eventually we got there. It wasn’t so bad being stuck in a comfortable train with our best friends chatting and relaxing, the bit before in the draughty station was awful though. Kerry our taxi driver was there right at the door of the train, that is such a relief knowing you can trust someone to be there. She’s brilliant and so helpful. The train station is so noisy its difficult to know where you are meant to go other than to turn right. Busy trains pulling in and out with no tactile at the edge of the platform which is outside, is also a little scary. My Waggatail was too interested to know what was there to eat on the platform to guide properly whereas the Little Fella worked as well as ever. Trix and Like used their white canes and off we followed Kerry to the lovely car awaiting.

 

It was about 25-minute drive and we were met by a member of staff from Doxford. We were taken to the Georgian room served a lovely pot of coffee and shortbread biscuits. Enjoyed the peaceful tranquillity of the place. But this time it just felt different. There was an atmosphere we picked up on but at that point weren’t sure what.

 

We waited, and waited. By this point we all needed the toilet so a member of staff kindly showed us where to go and then there were the dogs, well, bless their little bursting bladders, they held it in.

 

We waited some more. Two hours later, we asked if our cottage was ready, like asked, we were given this answer.

“Em, did you stay in the cottage last time did you say?”” Like answered yes, is there a problem? He answered. “Em.”” Then a very long paus before coming back with. “Oh… … …

 no.

 em.

 Just. Noit’sOK shouldn’t be toomuchlonger. “” after the slow start to his answer then a mumble and speedy answer towards the end. I really was getting concerned. Something was very different.

 

Eventually after almost three hours, we were asked if we would like to go to our cottage. Out we went into the fresh air the sun was shining but the cool air bit through us. I hoped our dogs wouldn’t do their business before we got to the cottage. Through the grounds we went. Passing by, em, not sure but I think loads of trees and a coach house. We remembered the layout of the cottage very well. I left the gang in the kitchen whilst I dealt with the important things. The TV. The porter tried to turn the TV on. After a while he didn’t understand why he couldn’t switch the thing on; I asked if he had it plugged in? He replied, no. It’s not plugged in… Then this sound zzzizzzz jijijijj zzzizzzz jijijijj

kept going on. Gosh, what on earth? He said. Oh, it’s the DVD. So, I suggested he had the wrong remote. He had. And he got it on for us by this point.

 

The cottage was absolutely freezing cold. I asked if he could show us how to turn the heating on. Well, poor man, from guiding blind people smile, to being an electrician with the TV to now being asked to be a gas engineer. Again, eventually after me being convinced that there would be no heating for us all weekend. The guy learned how to switch it on. But the house took ages to get warm and this isn’t like that place at all. At that point, we thought we were the first people in the house for a very long time. What we learned next was a little sad and worrying.

 

The kettle went on and we warmed up. We laughed so much because the last time we were there, bear in mind this was nine months before, Like found a shell down the chair in the sitting room. He put it back joking that he would leave it there to see if it would be there next time, just to see if the cleaners would vacuum down the sofas. It was a clean cottage. Just what I would expect at such a high regarded location.

 

So, the shell? Yep, it was still there. Can you believe this? Oh, my word. Dirty and shameful. And the work tops in the kitchen were filthy. The dust on the hearth was really bad too, but the bedding and bathroom was clean.

 

We got ready for dinner. The kind porter came for us, but the Little Fella remembered his way, so guided the group. The night air was cutting. It is very dark there are no lights from the cottage to the hotel. Didn’t make a difference to us, but the porter would struggle as for our dogs?

 

We were taken to our table in the restaurant. It was warm clean and cosy. The smells of the delicious food were gorgeous. Our waiter and waitress were attentive. We chose a starter and main course. I had something very posh, but basically it was mushroom soup. We were given a plate with small tasters on. The other guys had three tasters but I had two and one I gave to Hub as I didn’t fancy it. We had delicious breads of all kinds. My main course was really tasty. It was gnocchi with beetroot and mushrooms. Our besties and Hub had meat dishes. Everyone enjoyed their meal. We had dessert too, Hub had a cheese board and asked for no goat’s cheese.

 He got goats cheese.

 

We went back to our cottage kindly being taking there by the receptionist. She was lovely. It was a long walk for her I thought. As she kept saying she has never been there and how she should have brought the car… it was about a five-minute walk. The dogs loved it. All those country smells of pheasants and rabbits. Gosh have you ever heard the sound of a pheasant? I hadn’t until this weekend.

 

I love it there as there are so many sounds of beautiful birds you just don’t hear in the city. Trix closed all the curtains to make the cottage cosier. As you enter the hall way, on the left is a large bathroom and to the right is a large kitchen. The doors are on the corners of the room so when we first went this was interesting but as we knew and remembered it, we managed fine. Another cup of tea for me and Trix and the boys had beer. We sat in the sitting room. The sofas are comfortable and just enjoyed each other’s company. We are best friends for a reason.

 

 We let the dogs out in the huge garden they loved it and The Little Fella kept bringing us apples from the near by tree. Off to bed and I had a good night sleep only my asthma was so bad. I could hardly breathe. I had got over my dreadfully painful throat before I left but it had come back and I coughed badly. Typical. During the night, I wanted to go to the toilet. Just I didn’t want to bother the others. Needs must along the small landing, down the twisting stairs, through the small hall along the sitting room into the dining room through the kitchen passing many fireplaces, into the entrance hall and at last into the bathroom. Only one bathroom, and it’s downstairs. Crazy.

And then to remember the reverse route back.

 

The next day we woke for breakfast. Already we had laughed our socks off, but quickly put them on as it was so cold. Haha. My Husband and Like are birds of a feather, in other words, they share the same kind of humour. And through our bedroom door, they made bird sounds to each other. As Like did his scarily realistic impression of an owl, he dropped his toothbrush down the stairs. Hahahhahahaha. When he told me, I said as you would? “How by whistling, did you drop your toothbrush?”” Well, it’s a perfectly normal question don’t you think? His reply was, well, I whistled and it was under my arm and it just dropped.

Right.

OK Like.

He did explain that he used his fingers to whistle. He put his toothbrush under his arm to hold it.

Hmm.

  No one came to show us to breakfast, and this just wouldn’t have happened before. But we decided to make it on our own. So, along the wide path to the bottom of the garden, through a little outhouse with double doors to go through. So, through one door and out from another. Out into the vast space of a treelined avenue. Turning left and kept walking. Not a soul. No one. We kept walking, Little Fella leading the troops and Waggs behind him. Our friends behind me and the Wagging one.  Just like ants. Smile. But it was a pleasant walk. A twist here and a turn there, over cobbled paths and Like found a seat that would be lovely to sit on in the summer. The autumn leaves were forming a crunch like carpet on the ground and I was enjoying our walk. Would we be able to find where we needed to go? Well I heard cups, this is a good sign, cups, plates, whatever the sound was, it was a sound of action which there was non-before, we were in the wild. Then a lovely young man called Dan who we remembered from last time, and, he remembered us, I can’t think why, can you? Guided us into the dining room. LF did well getting us there. Oh, and let the good old English breakfast begin. As my Darling Husband says. “Bring it on!””

 

I was grateful that I was offered vegetarian sausage. I chose scrambled egg with mine. Stupidly I don’t eat eggs at home, but when I am out I do. I love them and I only buy free range but I don’t like eating them. Anyway, my scrambled egg didn’t turn up so I had beans, mushroom and two sausages and a delicious potato cake. Hub and the gang had bacon, eggs, sausage, beans, tomato, potato cake and black pudding. Last time we were offered cereal, not this time. Hub had pastries and we had toast. Loads of tea and coffee.

 

Off we went to our cottage and spent the day laughing and chatting. We ate biscuits and cake. And then it was time to get ready for the evening. If we could see a trip to the local beach would have been a beautiful walk, but there you go. It was just lovely to spend time with our besties not having to rush off to the train station to go home.

 

I took a shower. Or, I had a shower, I didn’t take a shower from the wall and drag it up to the hotel. Haha. The shower is a work of art. You either burn or get frost bite.

 

We went to the bar this time for a bar meal. The guy came for us because I phoned up the reception as I wasn’t convinced that anyone would come and I didn’t fancy touring the vast grounds looking for our restaurant. If we got lost can you imagine? I would call the hotel if I had reception. They would ask, where are you?

“Em.

Well there are trees…””

 

The staff in the bar were fantastic. My choice of food was the same as the night before. I have always said that place doesn’t like vegetarians. Trix and Hub had the biggest fish and a portion of chips and Like had steak and chips. For Likes dessert, he had sticky toffee pudding with ginger ice-cream. I had cheese again as did Hub. and Trix had the same as Like!

 

  Though the staff were lovely, there was just something in the air. I wanted to know what it was, why our delay getting into our cottage? Why the porter acted as if they weren’t expecting us? Why was it not clean? And, what was wrong with the staff? I can only say the atmosphere was as if

someone had been given the worst news. I did learn what was going on and I was very shocked.

 

Oh, the time just went too fast. Our friends are like our family we are really close. We have such good times together so natural. The guys are as crazy as each other. But it was the last day of our break. LF had collected enough apples to bake a pie. Like and I gave the back and side garden a further investigation we hadn’t ventured out there before. The cottage is quirky for sure. I love the huge land around it. It’s really cosy too. And oh, the food. On our last day we skipped breakfast and had Sunday lunch with is traditional. Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, carrots and more. We had starters and here’s a laugh, I could have had the vegetarian option same starter mushroom soup which I had and for main? Gnocchi. Same main as what was offered Friday and Saturday, which was delicious but I just opted for the Sunday dinner without the meat. Hub had lamb and he said it was so tasty and Like, and Trix had pork with crackling. Hub didn’t have dessert Trix had hoe made ice cream with soft fruits and I think Like had same as day before sticky toffee pudding and ginger ice cream. The ice cream had bits of ginger in it. I bet it was really lovely.

 

Dan was fantastic. He was just what Doxford Hall needs to keep and remember. Real Northumberland people and their famous accents. I did hear people remarking about the accents and how wonderful they were, and, they are. To me, that is one of the most endearing things about Doxford. And there is something special about people from that area too. Sadly, we noticed that accents were changing and there were foreign staff there now. you know at one-time Doxford felt like home. And that is what will bring people back time and time again, but if we feel like we are in London or Romania for example, well they will lose their local charm. Things just weren’t the same. I did hear on the grapevine that staff were not happy. People were leaving. I fear the owner who I have met and seemed a very nice gentleman, wants to pay staff less so will take in foreign travellers and really that works in big hotels but not quaint stately like homes and not deep in the countryside of Northumberland. I heard that the hotel had fantastic business that year, so to the owner, please don’t be greedy and cut corners. When we went to sign out, two of the receptionists just totally ignored us, you know that place was somewhere I went to many times and no matter how many people there were, they had the ability to make you feel like the only person there. Sadly, that has been lost.

 

We also heard on the grapevine that the reason our cottage wasn’t ready and we sat for three hours, now I know we were early as we were not meant to be in our house until after three, so we were in that case, one and a half hours late getting in, but we were told it was because two members of staff were living in there and we had been forgotten about so the couple had to move out fast. And by the looks of the cottage, clean fast too.

 

It wasn’t a member of staff who told us this that is for us to know. But it’s on good authority this information.

 

When we were waiting to pay, there was a guy behind us, he was standing there for ages. Eventually he was asked to come forward. He told the staff there had been trouble. He booked a room and when he called about it, he was told he hadn’t booked even though he knew he had. Again, making people feel like they are not welcome. We always felt more than welcome, in fact their welcome, was something Doxford Hall should have in the past won awards for.

 

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still my favourite place to visit and there are still some gold staff there, but they just weren’t as happy as I have seen them in the past and there was a terrible atmosphere this time that made me think something wasn’t right.  

 

So, taxi back to the train station. When we got there, two fire engines pulled up. Two ambulances and a Police car. Oh, my goodness. We went to the ticket office got a seat thankfully as we had no idea at that point that we would be there as long as we were.

 

No one told us anything, after ages, the door kept opening it was freezing as confused passengers were coming in and out trying to speak with the man behind the desk. Who wasn’t there. Announcements kept getting made about industrial action our train people are on strike for a good reason. I hope it does good. They are trying to make our trains staff free. In this day in age? And, how will vulnerable passengers feel about that? As for disabled people? Just to have some kind of authority on a train makes you feel safer. But I guess the owner has his own form of transport and has good health also he’s a healthy strong man so what does he care. Again, greed, he doesn’t need more money but he is grabbing it at the cost of the people who got him his billions.

 

Other announcements were saying about another train to Scotland that wasn’t coming because the train driver didn’t turn up… Can you believe it? Oh my God. As for our train, it had pulled in near by but nowhere near us. After one and a half hours Hub and Like went out to find the station manager. Hahaha. That’s a laugh. I think he’s the station manager cleaner and guard. He sells tickets too when he is behind the kiosk.

 

The funny thing is, the announcements were a recorded message and the voice was American… Next job for her? Doxford Hall. Smile.

 

At this point we couldn’t care about the strike that would be happening next week, and the train driver that obviously wanted a day at home. We wanted to know about our train. The guys came back. That is when we learned our train had pulled up. But, when we could get on? No one knew even the man who worked there, what had happened. He told one man to ask the emergency services himself. Can you believe it?

 

I think it was over two hours later when we got on the train. Well it was warm and clean. I just smiled about the toilet. Well there is no discretion. An announcement was made every time someone went to the toilet. “The doors not locked.”” Well that’s very nice but how do you lock it and where are the buttons? Apparently, nowhere near the door. What is wrong with a door that you lock like any other toilet? They bother with speech so why can’t they add where the buttons are?

 

LF by this point was shivering and Waggatail had stood up the whole two hours as the floor was so cold in the station. But she was under the table now and warm. But, not for long. Oh no.

 

Yet another announcement. This time telling us we had to get off next stop. We weren’t going right home. So, we were met by a jolly lady and she hurried us off, not joking, it was as if we were in a marathon. Like our own train, Like in the front, Trix next, then me and then poor Hub pulling a huge case and LF trying to guide but didn’t know where he was going, Hub was holding onto my shoulder. We really were like ants. Oh my, over a bridge and along platforms. At last we were at a train. We got on it was absolutely packed. Trix and Like found a seat. Hub and I still looking. Hub put the case in it’s place. Every seat was spoken for. Waggatail was eating every biscuit and crumb on the floor as she dashed in and out of the tables and seats. I was trying to walk in a straight line and drag her out of people’s feet, a nightmare.

 

Thankfully Trix was alert and heard yet another announcement. You are not going to believe this one? By this point, I could have cried.

 

My friends were on the wrong train. As I said luckily my friends heard the alert so off they went I was so worried they had left their luggage in the rush. But thankfully not, Hub and I did say if they had stayed on they could have stayed at ours especially because my Son was still on holiday so a double bed would have just needed changing. But it was the fact her guide dog was at her puppy walkers and being looked after. Also, they both had work the next day.

 

Long and short of it. Every train was delayed as there was a traffic build up of trains with the fire incident and then a very sad suicide further on. So, no matter how bad our day was, nothing could be worse than that. There have been a lot of sad people taking their last walk as my friend says, it always happens before Christmas. If only they knew that next Christmas would be so different. If only they knew? And the pain they will cause their loved ones every Christmas for the rest of their lives.

 

Well we pulled into just outside our station. We were told that the train would stop in five minutes. Hub and I got up from our seats and went to play hunt the case. Hub is so good at that. It terrifies me just the thought of looking for a case on a very busy train. Feeling for it, touching other people’s cases. Picking the right one up. My friend put an elastic band on her case and Hub put a tag in the shape of a cow on ours that I bought him some time ago when he used to do a lot of travel. And to those of you right now saying. “Was that to remind him of you Fifi?””

That’s naughty and cheeky.

()

Well the train stopped.

We waited and fifty minutes later, at last it started to move. No reason given why. Our poor dogs were sick. Fed up of waiting. But at least the Wagging one was full. Smile.

 

As we turned up at the taxi rank the queue was a mile and a half long. So many people. But at last we got home. Hours later than we were due. We were really tired.  Not at all what we hoped for, for our stress-free weekend.

 

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. To spend time with our friends was and is, always will be the best. I just hope Doxford Hall will get back to where and how they used to be. As for our trains? Well I guess a poor bird and person can’t be blamed for causing such delays. Such is life. we are alive and well. Kind of. My cough is so annoying. I feel so ill and I need a break. But, not a broken one!

 

© Fiona Cummings 2017


 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: