translate

Monday 27 October 2014

tails from our town


So we had to go to our town. I must say I was really dreading it. It has been about two months at least since we last went on our own to town and I feared our dog would forget the route as would we. I asked my Hub if he was anxious. He said with reassurance no. Well, I guess when you have travelled the world like he did with his job, our town is not as fearful compared with his old job. For me? I was shaking. I got dressed and sat on the bed. Then brushed my hair, sat on the bed. Put on some make up and sat on the bed. Then, I just sat on the bed.

Hub shouted up for me to come along? He asked what I was doing, I told him getting ready. He said still? I answered yes, and then thought, what the heck am I actually doing?

Oh what choice did I have? We needed to go to the bank. Couldn’t put it off. Hub had a haircut appointment too.

Blue T/shirt on, dark blue jeggings and lovely cardigan my friend bought me, its navy with really pretty buttons and all colours mainly red. I have navy shoes and I took a red hand bag. Got to the bottom of my stairs and thought, oh now then, I have some jeggings like these but purple.  That would look awful. So out came the colour machine, really it’s not much good but helps a bit. So first it read white, then dark green, then dark blue. So great, as purple reads, white, then orange then dark pink then light purple. Hahaha. So we get there in the end.

 

Poor little Waggatail was to stay behind. I got my white cane, took out some treats for Wags as I gave her a cuddle bye bye. Hub harnessed up Long Chops as I closed the door between me and Waggatail. Her pretty pooches face, pushed against the glass panes in the door, as she wasn’t coming. I did feel so sorry for her. It was different when I used to leave her with BB. At least she wasn’t alone. Our teen was away in our old hometown, looking at a University.

 

So locked the front door, mobile check, money, cheque? Haha. Bank details check, Doggy doodle bags just in case check. White cane check. Heart beating normally cross.

Off we went. On our adventure. It’s always an adventure as we never know what the heck will happen or where we will end up. I’m always amazed how we do it at all? I mean its OK people saying others do it, but those who may think it’s easy, then perhaps they would like to try it one day? We are both totally blind and walk to our bus stop. Find the door and then where the driver is, then a seat, then to know when it’s time to get off? That is almost impossible for me any of it, my Husband is the hero in all of this. The only part I am any use in our town is, when we go into a building, I know how to get where we need to be and get out. Then when we get out, I know which direction to go. Hub struggles with that, so I am some use in a very small way. To watch him and his dog work is just incredibly inspiring.

Well, on the way to our bus stop, I told Hub we needed to go much closer as we were not quite there at the stop? Oh you know me; I just plodded on, not taking any notice to him putting on the breaks.

“Come on, we are miles off” (Well, five steps…)

He muffled the word no. I took no notice haha. Oh heck, he just stopped me in time, or I would have joined two young lads, probably taking them out with one not so swift move.

 

I asked him how he knew they were there as they weren’t talking. He told me he smelt their aftershave.

Say what?

From half way down the road? And my Teen was away for the weekend. Haha. I couldn’t smell a thing. Not even as close as I got to them.

 

I could tell the boys were watching us all the time and when I said to Hub here is the bus, I could tell they were thinking, how the heck does she know? Em, I heard the engine, but you know a year ago, I used to really struggle with the difference between busses and lorry’s and believe it or not, some high powerful cars too. All sounded the same to me. It’s amazing how if you teach yourself to hear differently, how much you learn.

 

I have said it before and I shall say it again, it’s a myth that people without sight can hear better.

 

Well, it was interesting on the busses again, listening to all the people. And the unfortunate part of having to smell the smokers. Yes, I know people don’t smoke on the buses, but they have smoked whilst waiting for a bus and when they get on, oh boy they stink!

 

Oh it took ages to get to town. The traffic was dreadful. Well, I presumed that is why we were parked up for ages? Let’s hope it wasn’t because the bus driver fancied a nap?

 

It took about forty minutes to get to our city it should have taken about half an hour maximum. We got off the buss and really struggled as there were people behind us, in front of us, at the side of us and above our heads.

Yes you read correctly. People stopped to look at someone in the air. Perhaps on a tourist air balloon or some kind of craft, unless there was someone up a tree? Hehehe.

All I know is, when they suddenly stopped, to look, I, didn’t.

“Oops!”

Oh well, jog on. Oh then next thing, I was walking along, my white cane couldn’t move I’m not kidding, there is no room, so let’s just say, me, I kind of interrupted a lady eating her bag of chips. Hehehe.

I wonder if she was almost finished them.

Let’s hope so. I must say, they smelled delicious. Well, really, she just stood looking at me. How do I know? As when I apologised, she also said sorry bless her, and she was facing me at the time. So if these people can’t see me coming towards them, big Mama Fi, well, I know where they can get a guide dog!

 

Oh the worst part, dogs?

Seriously, flipping dogs everywhere. We didn’t know until one of them decided to try to have a go at our LC. LC was like

“Yeah, whah, evva

Out of me way. Don’t you know I have an important job to do?”

Then another dog, this time smaller. Didn’t bark at us until we were almost on top of it. A tiny dog with a squeaky high bark. One that hurts your ears.

 

Then there were men selling those stupid whistles. Well our dogs are trained with the whistle, so they really don’t like those? But at least we know when to turn coming back, where the whistles are selling, right?

Em, nope. The guys move about. Hehe.

Oh man, it was packed. Oh ad there was new lampposts in the middle of the path. They were not there two months ago. And we found a bin too. Right in the middle of a path. Ouch. It blooming hurt.

Or was it chip lady in disguise?

Getting revenge.

There was a point going to the bank I really wanted to just stand still. Have a moment and say I wanted to go home. I was pushed, and bumped into and knocked and we had to keep going off the path as there were scaffolding. Then there were tables outside of a café. They were not there all summer, so hey, winter, so cold, so let’s arrange a little street café. On and off the steps/path. Good old LC, really, the white cane couldn’t do such a good job. At least my cane didn’t get stuck into something undesirable on this day.

Really, still on our way to the bank. There were times I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t as needed to concentrate.

Then came the rain. Oh lovely jubly

LC was so happy. Hub said her tail was right above the harness. She is half retriever and half Shepherd, so has a long bushy tail, and of course long face, hence long chops.

 my tail was going nowhere.

 

With my new bruises, I still was shocked that we were actually doing this route. Really, only joking when I say I take people out with one swift move, haha. I may make them jump, or knock them off balance or even wake them up a little, but don’t actually knock them to the ground, oh if I did that, I would never go out again. But this day, what on earth were we doing and it will get worse as the Christmas shoppers come for real

I would love to learn the way to M&S, but there are market stalls right in front of the way there and they are impossible to find our way around, so we are so limited. Bank, a coffee shop, bakers, key cutting shop and a Chemist. Oh the soap shop and nut centre, but we won’t be going to the nut shop, again, as we are a little suspicious of the change we have been receiving from there. I.e. not enough.

And our hair dressers.

So up the steps into our bank. The staff are really lovely, but so badly organised. But they are very helpful and we always have a joke there. Yes, a joke, I know, a bank isn’t the place to joke, well, if you don’t joke when you go to your bank, then, you haven’t been to our bank…

It is a joke!

There was a little drama as we sat and waited. A man came in and started to shout and be aggressive to the lady on the front of the desk. She handled it well. But could have been really dangerous. And you know moments before, I was thinking, end of the day, oh heck, what if a bank robber comes in? Then this awful rude man entered. My heart pounded.

Out of there and on our way for a haircut.

Battled through the crowds. The dogs, I don’t know why anyone brings a dog as a pet to town? I know we have parks in the town, but they are not near the shops.

So every distraction for LC, with people, new obstacles, whistles and so on. She was amazing. Then we passed a group as in a band. Playing, we got a little too close to them; well we have to stick to the route we know. They didn’t stop playing though, then a guitarist. Oh I became hysterical. Poor Hub was so calm and wonderful, I just lost the plot. I wanted to stand still and just scream. Get me out of here. But that would look a bit daft.

Then I heard the cars. Oh God, not a road to cross? No crossing either. But we did it and we lived another day and challenge.

Into our hairdressers. Oh the noise in there too. A vacuum was blasting collecting hair, ten hairdryers at least, so many people talking it was impossible to hear any conversation or a single word. We didn’t hear our hairdresser say words to us, but we knew it was us or Hub he was addressing, as an inaudible voice was facing us. OK, it could have been a Fifi moment when I stood up, addressed the hairdresser with open arms for my blooming awful gown they put on you to find out it was a customer saying Hi to LC. But it was Hubs turn to get a cut, so I sat on my safe butt.

We got back home and I for one was totally exhausted, but we did it. How? I will never ever know. To me it’s a miracle.

No comments: