translate

Thursday 8 February 2018

THE ENGLISH PUB BY FIONA CUMMINGS


 Good morning Bloggets. Just about to go out with my friend D, we are off for a coffee. She’s so kind, always asks me where I would like to go and she is actually one of the only friends I have who would literally take me anywhere. But her company is enough as I can’t ever get over the guilt and pain, and it is pain you know, physical pain of asking someone to take me where I may need to go. But it’s thanks to her we have our dining table. Smile. And many soft furnishings. And she is someone who is an natural at guiding. As if a soft carpet under cold feet. Yep… I can’t think of a better way of putting it… I think this is one of the paragraphs I’m going to look back on in time and cringe. There’s no stress. She doesn’t panic in fear of guiding. She’s waisted. She should be some kind of mobility instructor for Guide Dogs.

 

Some people get so anxious about walking with people who can’t see and really, we don’t have additional problems… Though some may argue… So, we are just like you, only our eyes are broken. So, in short, we can’t see. But, we can walk talk and laugh, love and we have feelings. We want to be just like you. Blend in. and with D, I do. We will talk for England, in fact Europe. As we haven’t seen each other for ages.

 

My poor Hub is off for the day and part of the early night. He has travelled hours. By the time he get’s home, he will have been on the road for seven hours there and back. He may get in if his train is on time at half seven. I said I would cancel our pub quiz, but he insisted we go. So, let’s see if he is as enthusiastic by 5 pm.

 

The Little Fella will love his day out and about but won’t like the six hours on a train and one hour in a taxi. He also won’t like, getting through the door and after he has been let out to do the doggy doodle dance and fed, he will be put to bed as he won’t be going to the quiz with us… There’s just no room in the pub. It’s the funniest place. Let me try to describe it.

 

So, the carpark is a walk from the pub. Our friends drive us there. We walk along a freezing cold open space. With the busiest road almost as bad as the one where we live. And that road takes some matching… we walk up three steps without a rail to hold so they are open. And through two double doors but there isn’t enough room to close one set before opening the next… Then you are straight into the smallest room it looks like someone’s sitting room only the furniture is ancient. The heat hits you. There is an open coal fire. It’s huge and really hot… dangerously hot. Especially as the open flames almost dance with the old wobbly wooden tables and chairs. One day there will be an almighty smash as Fifi comes down crashing as the legs don’t seem strong enough to hold the bulk of the buxom blonde…

 

The bar only serves the most basic of alcohol. It’s a little like the old days in the Soviet Union. But the lady who runs the pub is the sweetest person. She takes no rubbish from anyone and I’m talking if anyone swears she shouts at them. A few weeks ago, there were some young lads using bad words and she really came down on them and said if they wanted to talk like that to leave… I waited for them to tell her where to go, but no, they respected her. Wow, if only there were more people like that lady.

 

We have half of the pub quiz then take a break to mop up our shame so far with some supper. Last week she cooked hot dogs and knowing I am a vegetarian she made me a cheese pie. Bless her…

 

I think there are about eight tables squeezed into this small room and there is another room I think with pool table and dart board in. just like an old-fashioned pub. They are becoming rare in England now, we are heading towards so called family pubs. And I’m not a fan of those. This pub is homely and everyone speaks to us. The people are the friendliest ever.

 

Then we take part two of the quiz and then the results.

Oh

Shame.

Our paper goes on the fire. Just to keep the ambers burning… it’s our contribution. As winning isn’t an option. Last week we were forth from the bottom, so I guess almost half way as people play in the other room too. And, that was our best week. Hahaha.

 

OK, I’m going to try to get out before it’s time to meet with D. So, harness the Wagging one and off we go. I shall let you know later about where I’m going… but not looking forward to it.

 

Hopefully I have time before it’s time to meet with D. laters gators. X

 

 

 

No comments: