translate

Thursday 8 February 2018

THE COFFEE SHOP BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Well I’m back. Oh, my goodness it’s so bitterly cold out there. Alexa says it’s 5 °

 But when it was -5 the other day, it wasn’t as cold as it is today.

 

In my last blog I told you about where I’m going tonight… I also said I was going out with my friend D. but before all of that I was about to go out to a place I wasn’t looking forward to.

 

Well I went with the wagging one and we weaved in and out of weeds and cut down bracken! Early this morning I had to go out to pick up something important. It had to be done today. But, the sound that no one wants to hear was out there. It was the sound of huge industrial trucks with machines I wouldn’t want to walk into. So, I put it off for a couple of hours until it all went quiet. Harnessed up my little guide dog who was more than delighted to be off, and wagged her way out of the door. Seriously, one day that tail of hers will drop off with pure exhaustion!

 

Well it was bitter cold. But I had a coat on something I don’t do often. And we shivered our way along. There were bits of branches all over the path. The guys had been out to butcher our leafy avenue… and cut back the nasty spikey finger like claws that grip onto you as you pass.

 

But the trucks had moved on. Remember what I told you the other day about how we can sense things like cars parked? Well as I passed on the road, it went quiet. I steadied my dog and walked with precaution passing whatever huge vehicle it was.

 

Waggatail worked so very well all the way there and back. She was brilliant. But then on the way back as I turned the corner. Oh, no, it was the truck back and the noise was extreme. What to do. No way I could cross the road. If I had I wouldn’t be able to hear the oncoming cars so it would be too dangerous. Stand still. Hope that the guys would see me and let me know it’s OK to pass them? Yep, best solution. I stood. And waited. The noise kept going. In fact, getting louder. My dog walked a head I followed then we got too close for comfort so I told her to stand and wait. Surely, they would stop knowing I’m trying to pass? What if they are on the other side of the road? And they are looking at me as if to say fool, what are you doing there? Well I have been that fool before and walked by workman who had the road dug up and it wasn’t a good outcome. Eventually the truck kept going but the tools stopped. OK Waggs. The men are obviously mute and can’t communicate. May be foreign. So, let’s go for it… I gave her strong commands to be steady and watch… find the way and so on. Under my feet I felt nasty bits of wood chippings and long branches. I felt sorry for my dog’s paws. Oh, she was amazing. She was rather happy to see humans and wanted to greet them, but listening to my serious voice one she doesn’t hear enough. She really was good. She walked me around half of a Christmas tree that was across the path and avoided goodness knows what else. Now, if I had a white cane, that outing would have been a total nightmare. As with the cane you have to find every thing yourself. But a guide dog will walk you around everything. Well, that is the theory and she did me proud.

 

With a white cane you find more. You learn a lot more about your walks and your environment. But a dog will take you to safety faster and is moreefficient.

 

Long and short of it, we got home I checked her paws and she got her reward. A drink of milk and a biscuit. Her little milky whiskers were smiling.

 

I felt so very proud of my little Waggatail. I was buzzing with the challenge that faced us. I was more delighted with the fact a good job had been done and together with my guide dog, we did it. A big cuddle later and her favourite toy from the cupboard she was a happy Waggatail.

 

A quick turnaround then out for a late lunch with my friend D.

For lunch which was breakfast too, I had a lovely cheese and red onion sandwich crisps/potato chips and salad. Oh, and did I mention  some chocolate cake?

I knew D and I would enjoy our afternoon. She’s great company and full of stories. Put it this way, there are no silent moments with us both.

 

I have never been to that coffee shop before. As we entered it, it had very very old-fashioned music playing. Not to my taste, but it was the chat I wanted to hear not the songs. There was a very old-fashioned metal large car in the window where we sat. with a huge teddy bear sitting in it. The furniture was old fashioned and the cups and saucers, well all of the crockery really was really old like what my Nanna would put out on a Sunday tea. Well, to be honest, I love that kind of crockery. And tea always tastes better out of those cups.

 

The couple who owned it, I thought it was daughter and Dad. But no, Husband and wife. Only the Husband sounded at least 65. My friend knows them and said he was in his forties… no, way. Not on your Nelly? But yes, as my friend knew him when he was a lad. I can’t believe how old people sound where I live. I do wonder if it’s the pollution of a city. In my homeland of Northumberland, it’s so clean the air, and voices are young. People are tall and here they are so short. It’s odd how living in a city can change those who are from there.

 

D, kindly paid for lunch for my birthday coming up and even gave me a gift and a card. Bless her. I thought the lunch was enough. It went too fast. I hope it’s not as long until we go again somewhere.

 

When I got back I was so pleased to be in the warmth. Oh, my it’s so incredibly cold out there. And so toasty warm in the house. I have even put our fire on as the heating isn’t quite enough, that’s how cold I am.

 

Going to finish off some laundry and make dinner then out again to the pub quiz. Not even sure what I will make for dinner it will have to be something my Husband can wolf down as he get’s in, whilst he eats that I feed the Little Fella, let him out to do the doggy doodle dance in his garden and back out immediately. BW get’s in when we are out. And BW is a vegetarian like me so it’s two meals two meals that have to be OK to heat up and nothing too much as I won’t have anything tonight and Hub eats meat BW doesn’t so what on earth to make? Hmm…

 

Finally, I really want to go to a fortune teller. And tomorrow I shall tell you about that story… but I really hope it can get sorted soon. More on that in my next blog.

 

Hubs safe on the train after a very long day. He sounded really fed up. So, not sure why, but at least he’s took time off work next week. I, hope he can chill.

 

Talk soon.

 

 

No comments: