translate

Sunday 4 February 2018

QUESTIONS IN THE DARK BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I have received a few emails asking questions to which I shall attempt to answer

 

One question I was asked about a month ago was. “I want to sell my house; how do I know it looks presentable enough to show viewers around?””

 

We can only do our best same as those who can see. Firstly, to get them into our house, make sure the front garden isn’t cluttered. Try to have your garden looking tidy. Ask someone sighted previous what your house looks like from the front for example the facia boards and if there are any wires hanging like your TV aerial? Make sure your windowsills are not cluttered so they look tidy from the outside or if you have nets or blinds, again ask if they are still nice and white or at least clean? If you don’t have anyone to tell you this helpful information, then take it for granted that your window dressings are not clean and have them either dry cleaned or do them yourself.

 

  We know what our house smells like, so possibly a plug-in oil burner that you can buy from places like Amazon. You never need a candle with them you just buy the oil and plug the porcelain dish into your socket. I never add water, only the oil and make sure it’s a nice smell.

 

Vacuum dust and make sure your kitchen isn’t cluttered. Your toilet seats are closed and possibly you don’t have towels on show in your bathrooms. Lift up any bath mats and you could ask your estate agent to show the people around. Haha. I didn’t and I can write a book on the stories I could tell you about me showing people around my house… from a man who I closed the door on, thinking it wouldn’t close because there was a door mat in the way, and knowing me, I didn’t stop. I kept pushing it closed…. Until the poor guy spoke… sounding as if in a lot of pain… to a man who just sat down in my Sons bedroom and preceded to play my BW’s guitar! And it didn’t stop there, he started to sing, asking me to join in….

Oh, well, he bought our house…

 

Don’t leave anything laying around like money or jewellery. Check your radiators to make sure you don’t have any forgotten underwear left out to dry. Any dead plants get rid of them. Make sure your beds are all made nicely. Tidy away all shoes.

 

 So, basically, it’s the same for us than what it is for those who can see. With a few adjustments like checking things we don’t touch every day like radiators and thinking about things outside we don’t come across on a daily basis.

 

A lot of people I know who can’t see well or see at all are afraid of gardening. They don’t like it, but these could be the same people if could see, still wouldn’t like gardening. They keep a simple garden. Sometimes buying artificial grass and just putting some pots out with plants/flowers that come every year and have a few outdoor ornaments/statues to take away the plainness of the basic garden. Then there are others who plant vegetables and every kind of flower you can imagine. I know of a lot of people who are blind who love gardening and they are so good at it… I’m kind of in the middle of those two. We pay someone to keep our garden tidy but they only come every few months so it’s up to us to try to keep it nice… I have loads of statues and pots. If I were to start a garden from the start, then I would have a very basic garden. No shrubs or hedging just a nice fence or wall with perhaps a couple of trees. Nothing that needed cutting back or shaping.

 

I tried to put loads of those lovely solar power lights, but the trouble is two things. One, when they need new batteries, how do I know? Some are not able to change the battery so you throw them away when they stop working, again, how do I know when they have stopped working? And, two, in the winds, the tops blow off and they tilt so, finding the tops/shades and keeping them looking nice and straight? Bit of a problem. So, again, if I were to have lights possibly less and make them electric and solid so they wouldn’t move.

 

Some people like water features, if you can’t see, they sound lovely, tranquil, right? But again, unless you want to get your hands dirty or you have a gardener to keep your pond and features clean, it’s not easy.

 

I guess plan. If your sight is poor but may get worse, think about when it could deteriorate and how you will cope with what you have.

 

© Fiona Cummings

No comments: