translate

Wednesday 7 February 2018

THE DREAM OF CHARLES BONNET AFTER BLIND BY FIONA CUMMINGS


A lovely friend and Blogget asked me a question about dreaming when blind or of poor sight. Old Bloggets will remember I wrote a blog on this before but for all new Bloggets I shall give a brief description along with what happened to me when I saw things whilst blind!

 

Yes, you read the above correctly. When I first lost my sight, it was overnight. Terrified no support and no advice from what we take for granted now days on the internet. With a one-year old baby to care for and no previous experience with caring for babies let alone doing so whilst blind.

 

I suffered from something I didn’t understand at the time and it was only many years later when I heard others write about such a subject I could relax and know I hadn’t gone mad all those years ago.

 

So, what am I talking about? (Charles Bonnet Syndrome)

CBS follows at times when your vision has suddenly become worse or in my case gone entirely. It’s how your brain reacts to your sudden sight loss. As it’s your brain that tells your eyes to see. Medically it’s known as having a hallucination. CBS is only caused by sight loss and has nothing to do with the fact you have a mental health problem.

 

When you lose your sight, your brain fills in the gaps as it’s not receiving information any longer, so, it brings up old images or fantasy images and for a lot of people, for some reason they seem to be awful.

 

The first time I experienced this was when I was carrying my baby through to my kitchen. For days, I seemed just to carry him in total fear of putting him down on the floor to play as I had before. Would I find him? Would he hurt himself? What if he went to a plug socket and I didn’t see him?

 

It didn’t take long before I adjusted to the safety fact and realised that of course all my sockets had those baby plugs in them and wires as before were hidden away as best as possible and, he made sounds normally spoke as my Son from far earlier than the norm, was able to talk in words I understood. And I quickly learned to listen for things that I had never had to before. Him shuffling his tiny footsteps even along the carpet. His arm movements even. I mean, how many sighted Mums and Dads, Grandparents and others who care for babies and children actually can say they can hear their baby’s arms moving? Smile… I even learned what toys he was playing with, just by the different sounds of wood, or plastic. The way he would hold something or giggle possibly be very serious whilst in his babies mind he would concentrate.

 

Thank goodness, I can now tell you what to be aware of if you are reading this and you do lose your vision, don’t panic as I did. I actually saw a dark hair man. Dark skin. Evil eyes. In navy blue clothes. He was hidden behind my kitchen door. My heart burst open. I screamed I shivered. I felt a cold sweat all over my body. I stared at this evil man who only had intentions of hurting my baby and myself. Why else would he be there, hiding and how did he get in my house?

 

I punched my free arm out towards him, hitting the kitchen chair that was where he should have been. I clung onto my baby with my other arm. I looked around my kitchen to find some kind of tool to protect us.

 

There were no tools. There were no kitchen worktops. No cooker where it used to be. Where was my sink? That chair I just attacked making my knuckles bleed, where was that? In fact, why wasn’t the light on? Where was the light from the window?

 

It was only when reality kicked in. I was blind. I would never see my kitchen again. Moreover, my beautiful babies smile would never put a spell of glee across my face again. His eyes would never burn through my soul and touch my heart. The forever cloud was over my world forever. And what crime had I done to deserve this?

 

Many months later the same man got bored with scaring me and slowly disappeared. But some years later he reappeared in a totally different house of mine as I had moved house and he wasn’t as scary. Same man though, in the exact clothing.

 

I know of people who see huge trucks coming towards them and branches of trees suddenly come down to them as if reaching down to choke. But the strangulation of this syndrome does fade there is no treatment for it but the wonderful RNIb in the UK, offer support and know you will be OK. You, may be one of the lucky ones and only see shapes, it still can be daunting though when for hours days weeks, you haven’t had sight. And the feeling of suddenly thinking your vision   is returning to face reality that it’s your brain playing games so, the let down all over again can be overwhelming.

 

As for my baby, I never thought it was possible to love him even more than I did, but still today, twenty years later, I worship my Son and thank God, he was there for me even though so very young. He was, and is, my miracle. He kept me alive when my parents died so very close in time to one another. There isn’t a day goes by when I don’t thank my maker for the gift he sent me. And I hate being blind. It’s pure hell. Of course, there are times when I laugh which I never used to think it was possible to do after going blind, but most times I’m in so much pain with sight loss. But if I had to be given blindness to receive my Son, then that is how life is. For him I would do anything.

 

And briefly onto dreams. Another question asked by many of you and my friend/our Blogget William. What happens in our dreams.

 

I used to see in my dreams as I did when I had sight. Now my dreams sadly are fading and I am seeing a dirty brown light in whatever room I am in. everything in my dreams is brown, people’s hair, if blonde, my brain tells me they have blond hair, but it’s as if looking at blond hair under a brown lightbulb. Clothes are all brown. Furniture and even the sky outside during a sunny day. Has a brown covering. The other night I had a long dream and when I diagnosed it, the full dream I was sat in a room next to that lamp of beige and just thinking out my dream. So, words were going on people were moving, but I sat in a chair just thinking about the dream rather than moving about like I normally do.

 

In my dreams I drive and run. I walk into dark rooms and never bump into anything. It’s as if I’m sighted, but I don’t see.

 

My Husband who has never had sight, he was born totally blind, he has never even been able to differentiate light and dark. Still dreams, but he dreams as he sees during the day and nights when he is awake. He hears, so he has audio dreams like listening to a story on the radio he also feels people as they pass him just like he can tell when we are walking around our busy city he tells me to be careful, as there is a car parked annoyingly on the pavement or an advertisement board in the middle of the path making it so difficult for our dogs to navigate us around them. He can also sense, as in feel, if someone is approaching him. I’m learning through him, just how to do this.

 

The air changes. Birds song quieting’s and transport is muffled whenever their s an obstacle. It’s like walking out of a noisy room. You can still hear what is going on, but it’s quieter.

 

We smell the perfume aftershave of people approaching and sadly, those nice fragrances are not always so, well, fragrant… another downside of being blind, we notice people’s bad habits. As in being allergic or the avoidance, to soap…

 

I hope this has helped you, and my friend with his students. And I hope some of his students become one of my Bloggets and follow my blog page. Smile. Take care of yourselves and appreciate what you have…   

Ps

Who was Charles Bonnet?

I for one would love to have such a brain.


 

No comments: