translate

Tuesday 1 August 2017

IS THIS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR? AND MY DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Well my busy week has turned out sadly a different kind of busy week. Not one for me but others I have to sort out. My plan of a coffee with a friend worked out yesterday, but we made plans to go out to a quiz this Thursday and sadly, Hub won’t be able to come because he is working away and won’t be home until late. He told me to go but it’s not the same it’s a couple kind of night out. Today I was to meet with Arty but I had to cancel because Hub decided to work from home last minute. Also, the most important reason, my Son is really ill in bed. He has been unwell for days. But he is getting worse rather than better. He is twenty, so I can’t do anything about it apart from today take him drinks and paracetamols and before he said for the first time he was starving. He hasn’t eaten in 24 hours, this is not like him. I took him a cheese muffin he didn’t want toast or scrambled egg as I suggested. He asked for a hot water bottle. I said I bought him over the years two. I asked, where are they? He replied. In the loft. Oh, very handy. So, I found mine and he now is nursing a really poorly stomach, head, ache and his limbs are painful. Being his age, he won’t go to the Doctors, mind you, I doubt our place would be able to see him for two weeks.

 

I had no sleep at all last night. I’m not joking. He was out at Shams until two this morning. He said he slept. Well he should have been home in his own bed how boring for Sham. He said he tried to go for a walk and couldn’t get out of the car. Oh, you know, I’m worried sick. It’s almost three in the afternoon and he is still in bed. And, get this, my dog isn’t too well either. She keeps threatening to be sick. It’s funny as each time she starts to do that sound no dog owner wants to hear, The Little Fella walks away from lying next to her. He goes as far across the room as possible. They know don’t they when the other is going to be sick? She will have eaten something in the garden, but BW hasn’t, so what is wrong with him? I think I know. He on Shamrocks instructions is cooking his dinners prep as he calls it and freezing them.  Then defrosting and microwaving. I told him not to do that, but Sham says she does it so in the freezer they went. Of course, a just turned eighteen-year-old lass knows best. Then he has bought fat busters. I mean, he has not got a bit of fat on him. He bought them from what he called a reputable company. He also bought tablets to give him energy. With caffeine in them. Again, he read the ingredients out to me and I’m no wiser. The only thing I understood was vitamins but I suppose if they put the odd word in them like vitamins, then some, people will think they are good. Well since he has been taken them he has been really really ill. Today he has been in bed so I pray to God he will stay there and keep away from them. But if he doesn’t get better soon and continues to take them, what do I do? He isn’t a child as he keeps telling me.

 

My Son eventually got his clothes cleaned yesterday from when he did the mud race. Oh, you should have seen my kitchen. It took me two hours this morning to sort our kitchen out, not just mud, but last night I didn’t tidy up before bed and it was left. So empty dish washer, fill it, wash down work tops and cooker as well as wipe down the fridge as our groceries are coming tonight. Took my Sons washing out on our new line, it’s great, once I find the blooming thing. We put it down every night so it’s like a stick in the middle of a large yard and then it’s hunt the pole. Then to clean the washing machine. Then the floors oh boy, but all done now as for dinner tonight? Really don’t care. Smile.

 

It’s a nice day. Not too hot but a gentle breeze coming through our open window. Right now, I will go and do some more work around the house then I have a couple of calls and dates to enter into the Diary for various appointments.

So far, I hope to meet up with my friend tomorrow then I got a text from Greece to meet up with another couple on Friday night with Hub. Not sadly in Greece, haha, but they are on holiday and are coming back tomorrow so want a catch up. So that will be nice. I just hope my baby will be feeling better by then. I pray he stops taken them blooming pills. He is so very stubborn.  

 

And before I go some news.

In Melbourne, they are very close to developing a small device that is implanted and is better than the previous bionic eye which is much more intrusive but this is only good for those still with sight. In China, they are working hard with stem cells. The news looks good from there. It’s in Northern China and about 20 days of pretty intense treatment. Again, the only reports I have read are from those with some sight not those of us who are totally blind. But this is great news for us. CRISPR Breakthrough: Restoring Vision by Reprogramming Cells


April 25th, 2017 by FFB Canada

The eye’s photoreceptor cells are essential for vision because of their unique ability to convert light into visual signals. The loss of photoreceptors is at the root of many blinding eye diseases, including retinitis pigmentosa (RP), age-related macular degeneration (AMD), and Stargardt Disease – to name just a few.

Restoring photoreceptors therefore has tremendous therapeutic potential. Many research teams, around the world, are developing sight-restoring treatments that involve replacing damaged photoreceptors via stem cell transplantation.

Stem cell transplantation is not the only way to restore vision. Last week, an incredible discovery demonstrated that gene-editing can also restore sight.

The team, led by Kang Zhang from the University of California, San Diego, used the gene-editing tool, CRISPR, to change the genes that are expressed in rod photoreceptor cells. Specifically, they used CRISPR to turn off the genes Nrl and Nr2e3, which play an important role in the development of photoreceptors cells. There are two types of photoreceptors: rods and cones. Humans have approximately 6 million cones and about 120 million rods. Amazingly, the team observed that turning off these two genes in rods caused the cells to become cone photoreceptors. This “reprogramming” of rods into cones has powerful therapeutic potential, especially for retinitis pigmentosa (RP), which primarily involves the loss of rod photoreceptors.

Currently, there are no treatments for RP, which is an umbrella term for a group of inherited blinding eye diseases that are caused by mutations in more than 60 genes. Although there are different kinds of RP, all forms involve the death of rod photoreceptors, which are responsible for peripheral and night-vision. In contrast, cone photoreceptors are responsible for high-acuity, central vision.  In RP, cones continue to function after the rods are gone, but ultimately begin to die toward the later stages of the disease.

To test if their reprogramming approach could work as a treatment for RP, the team studied two different animal models of RP. In both cases, the team demonstrated that reprogramming rod cells with CRISPR led to improved cone function, thereby reversing the development of RP and restoring visual function.

The team is optimistic that their approach could also work as a treatment for people living with RP because their proof-of-principle results in the laboratory are very encouraging. Although they are not able to test their approach in a clinical trial yet, they are certainly looking toward treatments in the future, especially because the need is so urgent.

This urgent need for new treatments and the fast-pace of promising vision research motivates the FFB’s Restore Vision 20/20 Initiative, which will fund sight-saving research with the greatest potential to move into a clinical trial.

 


 

No comments: